Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
June 25, 2019, 06:14:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take the Emulator and Run! - New emulator - http://ttear.berlios.de/  (Read 15444 times)
fernandotcl
Played Munchkin once...

« on: September 19, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »

EDIT: Visit the project page for details.

Hello guys,

As some of you should already know (at least those who used to read the programming section of the old forums), I've been developing an Odyssey emulator (Odyssey?/G7000 for the time being) so that I can understand the machine better. It got farther than I expected, so I decided I'm going to release it.

It's in pre-alpha state, meaning it's not even feature-complete yet, as I only worked it for about 10 or maybe 15 hours (life has been busy lately). I'll call it alpha once I get around to creating the config file handling (should be fairly easy to implement).

I'm going to create a BerliOS account, but I need a name for the project, so I'd really appreciate suggestions. Here are the details:

What doesn't work

- Compatibility kind of sucks at the moment;
- No sound support;
- No voice support;
- No plus graphics;
- Countless bugs...

What works

- About 30% of the games are playable. 20% of them are perfectly playable. Things get better in PAL mode (there are some timing issues that need to be sorted out in NTSC mode). Some fun games like Freedom Fighters!, the K.C. series and Pick Axe Pete! already work fine. Even Frogger is playable.

Highlights

- No kludges for specific games;
- More accurate timing. The interaction between the CPU and the VDC should be much more accurate than on O2EM;
- Much more leaner and portable code. It's not based on O2EM at all. Features a much smaller code base, the algorithms are much easier to understand. The emulator tries to behave like the real machine, it's a very different approach;
- Makes homebrewers' lives easier through the implementation of the real quirks (as possible and practical) and limitations. The debugger features breakpoints.

Future plans

- Aiming for 100% compatibility, sound support, voice support, plus graphics support;
- Joystick support;
- Networking support (online play).

Ideas for the project name and feature requests are really appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:30:25 AM by fernandotcl » Logged
Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:52:45 AM »

Hi Fernando, first let?s us try it. A name sugestion is 78?
Just a reference to year of Ody release.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:00:44 AM »

just don't call it VPEmu, as thats the name of a new emulator I started some time ago from scratch in Java ;-)

btw: it would be cool, if you could implement most of the debugging commands from O2EM, as those are the ones I implemented when I started writing a game (breakpoints were one of them ...), so it would be nice to have them again, if you aim for homebrew developers ! (which I really much appreciate !!!)

as for names:
O2lator
Vidpac
VPO2Plus
Videopac G2007

sex, lies, and videopac
fernandotcl
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:07:40 AM »

Hi Fernando, first let?s us try it.
I will see if I can set up a development environment in Windows and port it to mingw this weekend, I think. I'll post a screenshot soon, I'm currently rebuilding my development environment.

A name sugestion is 78?
Just a reference to year of Ody release.
It's funny that you mention this. Its current working title is eightie, and I thought of several names like 1982 or 1983. The problem is that they're tricky to look for in Google, and also I'll probably need an "Unix name" for BerliOS (something short, without spaces, dashes or underscores, starting with a letter, etc.).

There's a Nintendo 64 emulator called 1964, by the way.
fernandotcl
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:21:16 AM »

btw: it would be cool, if you could implement most of the debugging commands from O2EM, as those are the ones I implemented when I started writing a game (breakpoints were one of them ...), so it would be nice to have them again, if you aim for homebrew developers ! (which I really much appreciate !!!)
The current debugger looks a lot like the old one, except that there's no "setkey" or "go" cause I never found a good reason to implement them (breakpoints take care of pretty much everything you'd need setkey and go for). Extending the debugger is quite easy, if you guys need other commands, implementing them shouldn't be a problem.

as for names:
O2lator
Vidpac
VPO2Plus
Videopac G2007
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. One big problem I've been facing is that I try to avoid references to the names "Videopac", "G7000" and "Odyssey?". I know the console by "Odyssey", so those names don't mean much to me. And yet, having a reference to "Odyssey" instead of "Odyssey?" in the title would probably confuse the hell out of some people. Tongue

I've been trying to associate the emulator to classic games such as the K.C's series. When I started the project, the working title was simply "timelord", but I thought it didn't sound cool enough.

I thought of a tagline already: The excitement of a game, the mind of an... emulator!. Cheesy

Keep the ideas coming!
fernandotcl
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:51:59 AM »

Some pics: Pick Axe Pete!, Tutankhamen, and Shark Hunter.

The white pixel on the top left is there because it's a debug build, it informs me whether the emulator is hung or not. From those pics you can see that there are still some timing issues.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 03:12:28 AM »

Some pics: Pick Axe Pete!, Tutankhamen, and Shark Hunter.

The white pixel on the top left is there because it's a debug build, it informs me whether the emulator is hung or not. From those pics you can see that there are still some timing issues.

Congratulations, Fernando.
It seems good. Wink
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 12:20:02 PM »

Videopac G2007

I like that one! Just don't do a Microsoft and release it in 2010  Wink

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »

I've been trying to associate the emulator to classic games such as the K.C's series. When I started the project, the working title was simply "timelord", but I thought it didn't sound cool enough.

okay, a few without Videopac/O2 Reference:
Munchkinator
PixelAxePete

sex, lies, and videopac
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 05:46:28 PM »

Freedom Emulator
Air-Sea-War Emulator
Cosmic Munchkin
Take the Emulator and Run
Emulator Sling

ahhh the option.....................

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »

I like this one!  Smiley
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:09:08 PM »

IPlay

8 bits of fun
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 09:36:47 PM »

Good luck with future developments ion this it sounds like it ay be a winner

I have 12"
fernandotcl
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »

I like this one!  Smiley
So far it's my favourite as well (in fact, Take the Emulator and Run!, with the bang). I really liked Air-Sea-War Emulator and Pixel Axe Pete as well.

I'll create the project page on friday if all goes well, and if there aren't any better suggestions, I think i'm going with TTEAR!.

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 12:09:01 AM »

I like this one!  Smiley
So far it's my favourite as well (in fact, Take the Emulator and Run!, with the bang). I really liked Air-Sea-War Emulator and Pixel Axe Pete as well.

I'll create the project page on friday if all goes well, and if there aren't any better suggestions, I think i'm going with TTEAR!.

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.

I also like Take the Emulator, very nice. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: