Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
January 21, 2020, 11:03:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consoles, should we be worried?  (Read 7795 times)
grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:56:59 PM »

I think I'm the only collector of Philips G7??? etc. / Magnavox Odyssey2 CONSOLES in the world. Nobody else seems to have the space, although they actually only take a small corner of my loft. I came to realise this on another forum in a discussion about hardware collecting.

I know I've chosen to only concentrate on this platform, whereas everyone else seems to collect across the board. I did this deliberately rather than being a "jack of all trades, master of none". Of course I'd never claim to be a master anyway, but it has meant I have more cash to build this specific collection.

Please discuss...

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »

I collect all consoles, but do have different model versions of a lot of consoles. I have i think 4 different g7000 consoles + a G7400, both atari lynx models, Atari 2600 dark vader, short and long rainbow, mastersystem I and II, Megadrive I and II, 3 different first generation ps ones. My target is to own at least one model with a few games, of every console released in the Netherlands. I do see the benefit of collecting for just one console, you can try to own every released game and model variation a lot easier when collecting just for one console.

8 bits of fun
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:33:59 PM »

I actually used to collect all the videopac console variations ... I had all the G7200 variations (7200, N27, N60) and still have more than 40 Videopac consoles here ... but they just take up too much space and I finally did not see the point in it anymore ... like it also happend with the game variations (french videopacs, radiola's, siera's) - I rather collect games I am really interested in across all the systems than just picking up the 5th variation of Videopac 1 with the same cover but a tiny difference ... just my point of view, but I don't live in a house but in an appartement, so I don't have endless space and just had to draw a line somewhere.

I also believe that in some years we will not be able to easily play the games anymore ... give it another 30 years and most of the G7000 wont work anymore, and the carts wouldn't either, so I rather have the binaries stored across different media and refreshed in periodical times and have the games to look at the instruction manuals and covers.

Whenever I show someone parts of my collection I pick certain examples like Infocom Games, Videopac 42, Vectrex games with overlays, nicely done cover art ... I rarely show people actual working games on the console ...

how many of you believe that we will still be able to play on the original system in 30+ years ?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:52:45 AM by manopac » Logged

sex, lies, and videopac
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:08:50 AM »

I just have interest to collect Ody (O2 and o3) games and things. My 1st goal is to complete my brazilian collection (needing 1 game to complete, but it?s not easy), after I want to try others Ody related  like games which was not released in Brazil and Odyssey homebrews. I haven?t interest in variations. I also have others old machines like 1972?s Odyssey, a 2600 and INTV, but I have no intetion to collect (except INTV, maybe because it?s my 2nd fav console). I have a PS2 because I?m Mortal Kombat fan and I bought it because MK games.
grgh

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:05:11 AM »

how many of you believe that we will play on the original system in 30+ years ?

It'll be my kids first computer, maybe my grandkids as well? But only if the hardware still works :-)

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »

It'll be my kids first computer, maybe my grandkids as well? But only if the hardware still works :-)

that was actually my intention to ask ... how many people think we will still be able to play on the original system ? tv-standards and tv-connectors change, maybe even voltage standards could change and the systems are probably going to die in the not too far future ....

(edited it in my post to make it more clear)

sex, lies, and videopac
grgh

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:57 AM »

I use a G7401 with a SCART connection to a Monitor/TV combo that came with a Dell desktop computer a few years back. Even if a new standard comes out, there will be SCART > 'new format' connectors available. I think the hardware will die before the ability to connect it.

I expect in 100 year from now, they'll be making a device that takes all the carts from all the consoles of the era, and the actually motherboard is the size of a stamp.

The dead consoles will be something you just hang on your wall. Or maybe like people collect old cars now, it'll be something you keep in perfect condition, work on it when it breaks, and just take out once a year.

I believe the retro scene will get bigger, but only as more stuff falls into the category of 'retro'. I'm sure people will only want to collect from their era.

Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

There are people who have working radio's from the 1930's. Of course they need to be fixed from time to time.
I can connect my Blu-ray player to my TV from 1968.
I'm not afraid to use my Videopac consoles because they could break.
So I think it will take a long time before playing on the real hardware becomes a problem.

When it comes to videogames I only collect Videopac/Odyssey2. I do have a few pong consoles (mostly Philips/Magnavox), but I don't really collect them. I have 17 Videopac/Odyssey2 consoles now, only my 3 G7400's are the same, all the others are different variations. I don't intend to collect more variations because of space reasons, and I'm mostly interested in hardware differences, not in color differences or things like that.
Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

Gorfians take no prisoners!

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »

Proper care willkeepyour units working and someone will always have an adapter
of some sort to use the older consoles on newer technology.
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »

I use a G7401 with scart output, and all spanish modern tv's come with this connector, so no problem with that.
I only have an unboxed Jopac and my original G7000 from 1981 -boxed and complete-, both not connected to any tv. Some weeks ago I sold a Radiola Jet47+ because it was unboxed, so at the moment I don't collect consoles. But sure that in the future I will...
My plans are to extend my home with another plant in the next 5 years, and then I will have space available. Now I have a lot of games (and more old systems) in the attic and in the garage, but I want to build a game-room.

Well, all of these plans are not for the Videopac, of course; our first son is now 4 months old, and when more childs will be running in my 100 m home I will not have enough space for them ... and for my hobbies, so we need to duplicate our home: then sure that I will collect consoles.  Grin

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »

There are people who have working radio's from the 1930's. Of course they need to be fixed from time to time.

the problem I see is the special parts used in video game consoles ... I guess its easy to repair a TV or a radio, but what can you do once the VDC breaks ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:28:55 AM »

I guess its easy to repair a TV or a radio, but what can you do once the VDC breaks ...

Contact Rene. :-)

I can connect my Blu-ray player to my TV from 1968.

That is very cool.  What signal and cables do TVs of that era use?
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 06:33:01 AM »

Well lets see.... I started out only wanting to collect Odyssey2 consoles and games.  Now I am collecting Colecovision and Atari 7800.  The smaller systems see to appeal to me more than the systems with the huge collection of games/systems.  I like the feeling of accomplishment from completing a collection. 

I do sort-of collect Atari 2600, Nintendo, and Super Nintendo but I'm picky and only want the good games, I'm not interested in the garbage games and have no dream of completing a collection of those systems and games.

The other odd quirk I have is collecting hardware for the various systems.  Unique  joysticks, trackballs, joypads, etc.
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 08:26:16 AM »

When I started collecting back in the early 90s, I just wanted to get all Videopac games (it was my first video game system) - a task that I couldn't afford ten years earlier, because the games were too expensive when they were new.

However, soon I started collecting other systems as well, but only Pre-NES era - due to space and money reasons, otherwise this would be a bottomless pit. Beside video game systems I collect for Atari 8 bit computers as an Atari 130XE was my first home computer.

Said that, I do not collect variations of games. I just see no sense in that and it takes too much space.

I think I have 5 or 6 Videopac consoles, for other systems I only have one or two consoles, also no variations there

As I have completed my European and US collection for Videopac/O2, I am focused on Colecovision, Intellivision and Atari 5200 now.

I think it will get harder and harder to keep the old consoles alive. There will be great hobbyists like Rene who will be able to repair them, but most collectors will not be able to do that. But for me this is not a real problem - I will keep my collection, just as a museum, to look at the stuff, open the boxes, read the manuals, etc, just "feel" the games. And I will play them on the PC if the consoles will not work anymore.

I think that the consoles will work during our lifetimes. If our children, or, more general, the next generation will collect those games too, they will play them on emulators. They will never know how it feels when you finally saved enough money to buy a new Videopac game every three months, put it in the console and watch the dots and lines in awe. They will never know that gold-rush mood of the video game industry. Because they were not there when it happened. Collecting those consoles and games is not enough, you need to had been there. So emulators will probably be fine for them.

For me, video game collecting is not just buying and storing consoles and games, this is only half of it. The other half is the memory of that time back then. And only those two halves together make it something very special for me ...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:28:35 AM by ccc--- » Logged

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 09:58:37 AM »

Well lets see.... I started out only wanting to collect Odyssey2 consoles and games.  Now I am collecting Colecovision and Atari 7800.  The smaller systems see to appeal to me more than the systems with the huge collection of games/systems.  I like the feeling of accomplishment from completing a collection. 

Dreamcast is a nice system for that ... european and US collections are only around 220 games and most are cheap and easy to get :-)

I do sort-of collect Atari 2600, Nintendo, and Super Nintendo but I'm picky and only want the good games, I'm not interested in the garbage games and have no dream of completing a collection of those systems and games.

same here ... I started with videopac and have complete Saturn and Dreamcast collections, but now I changed my collection habbit to only collect games I am really interested in ... like the Donkey Kong Country games for SNES, classics like Mario Bros. and Ice Climber for NES, Sonic games for MegaDrive, Pitfall for the A2600, Little Computer People and Barbarian for the C64 ... and all the games I loved on my old Atari 800XL :-)

sex, lies, and videopac
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: