Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
January 21, 2020, 08:44:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consoles, should we be worried?  (Read 7794 times)
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »

I can connect my Blu-ray player to my TV from 1968.

That is very cool.  What signal and cables do TVs of that era use?

http://hpbimg.marcelstvmuseum.com/blaupunkt%20ctv2006%20totaal01.jpg

The (brown) connectors in the upper left of the picture. Separate inputs for VHF and UHF.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »

I can connect my Blu-ray player to my TV from 1968.

That is very cool.  What signal and cables do TVs of that era use?

http://hpbimg.marcelstvmuseum.com/blaupunkt%20ctv2006%20totaal01.jpg

The (brown) connectors in the upper left of the picture. Separate inputs for VHF and UHF.

I see, very cool.  I wonder if a blu-ray and a dvd look the same on such an old TV with limitations. 

Have you ever been shocked by an open CRT?
grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 08:01:17 AM »

I'm reminded that collecting doesn't have to make any sense  Smiley
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7943376.stm

If we could just get our own G7000/O2 movie...

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »

I see, very cool.  I wonder if a blu-ray and a dvd look the same on such an old TV with limitations. 

They don't, the picture is less sharp on an old TV.

No, I'm not that stupid.  Grin
But that risk does make repairing old TV's more exciting...  Cheesy
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »

They don't, the picture is less sharp on an old TV.

No, I'm not that stupid.  Grin
But that risk does make repairing old TV's more exciting...  Cheesy

I figured it wouldn't make any difference on older sets.

Hehehe, according to my CompTIA A+ Certification studies, CRTs can pack a lethal charge in the capacitors even when unplugged!  I personally have never heard of anyone dying at the hands of a display though.  That is almost embarrassing.  Imagine someone being killed by a VideoPac G7200!   
slinger102
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

:)I started out collecting only atari 2600 items until the internet showed me all the systems i missed out when i was a kid. using a emulator is not the same as having the console to play the games the way it was meant to be played. I have bought a atari 2600,intellivision II, colecovision with all expansions, odyssey^2, nes, snes, nes64, and ps1.  To me having only one game console is missing out the enjoyment of playing all the games. lets face it one game title is not the same on differn't console's and its like playing the game for the first time all over again. to me space doesn't concern me even though my living room looks like a arcade at the mall it just makes me happy. if collecting one system makes u happy then you are happy. if it doesnt expand ur self to other systems. if i could make a suggestion i would start with the colecovision. as my opinion goes its the best vintage system out there and i think the nes was a huge expansion of the system.
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »

Hehehe, according to my CompTIA A+ Certification studies, CRTs can pack a lethal charge in the capacitors even when unplugged!  I personally have never heard of anyone dying at the hands of a display though.  That is almost embarrassing.  Imagine someone being killed by a VideoPac G7200!   

Um.... I actually had the unfortunate chance to see a guy get zapped by a CRT. The guy was out for hours. Supposedly, it almost killed him. Can be rather dangerous - and the scary thing is, I work around them. Of course, I take precautions!

Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

Gorfians take no prisoners!

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »

Um.... I actually had the unfortunate chance to see a guy get zapped by a CRT. The guy was out for hours. Supposedly, it almost killed him. Can be rather dangerous - and the scary thing is, I work around them. Of course, I take precautions!

Always keep one hand in your pocket when you can. It's the jolt accross the chest that will kill you.

Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

Always keep one hand in your pocket when you can.

That wont be a problem for some people. :-P

That is scary!  I am glad he made it. 
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »

Not only capacitors can hold their charge, the tube itself will too. The conductors on the inside and backside of the tube with the glass (isolator) between them act as a capacitor. Picture tubes of color TV's work with 25kV.....

Capacitors in switching power supplies can hold their charge too, so even fixing a G7400 can be dangerous. (But I'm not sure if it would be lethal, never tried.  Grin )
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 01:56:17 AM »

Not only capacitors can hold their charge, the tube itself will too. The conductors on the inside and backside of the tube with the glass (isolator) between them act as a capacitor. Picture tubes of color TV's work with 25kV.....

Capacitors in switching power supplies can hold their charge too, so even fixing a G7400 can be dangerous. (But I'm not sure if it would be lethal, never tried.  Grin )

Sounds scary.  I wonder if LCD screen carries a change like that.  (I assume it is much less than a CRT.)  Lets hope the Odyssey 2/Videopacs are never responsible for killing any people. lol  I suppose it would get their name out there a little more though Wink
Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »

Nah! The worst would be a loud snap if you shorted them. The voltage is so low
that you would not even feel it. I dont think there is enough current in such a
supply to deliver a lethal shock.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »

I'm talking about the capacitor which is directly behind the mains rectifier. When the console is on, the voltage across that capacitor is 310 Volt. It is definitely not completely discharged after the console has been turned off, and will hold a voltage way above 100 Volt.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »

I'm talking about the capacitor which is directly behind the mains rectifier. When the console is on, the voltage across that capacitor is 310 Volt. It is definitely not completely discharged after the console has been turned off, and will hold a voltage way above 100 Volt.

Sounds like quite a shocking experience! Hehe.
Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

Yeah that one might hurt then. Smiley I did not know the G7400 had it's supply built in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: