Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 08, 2022, 04:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum will disappear in April 2023 please check this topic!

Home   Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Route 66 owners list  (Read 39739 times)
steelballs
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »

Fair enough, but where does the madness stop Ozyr, if everyone starts bringing out limited runs of games in different packaging with their own logo where does that leave us all? As far as I'm aware no-one has ownership on any of the prototypes floating around so that means we could have releases in different styles with limited edition keyrings and stickers etc, etc.... (homebrews will be different I'm assuming, the guys that wrote them must have some say in who releases them, right?)

Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »

(homebrews will be different I'm assuming, the guys that wrote them must have some say in who releases them, right?)

Theoretically yes, but once a .bin file has been made available on the internet, or once one or more cartridges have been produced, people with the right equipment can make and release (illegal) copies, maybe with a different label, manual etc.
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2009, 02:40:19 AM »

Fair enough, but where does the madness stop Ozyr, if everyone starts bringing out limited runs of games in different packaging with their own logo where does that leave us all?

From what I've seen for the Atari 2600 and a few other systems, this happens too often. Heck, we even had a guy produce a very few Odyssey games just a bit back (Frogger I think it was, with slight changes).

I would call it madness too. But, it goes with the territory - madness and sanity - hand in hand.

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2009, 08:31:21 AM »

actually I don't really see a problem ... "rare" (in these sense of only a few available) doesn't necessary mean "collectible" - I can create my own custom Manual or Lable or even cart, and it would be a one off - so "ultra rare" - but does it mean, that it is collectible for others Huh? I don't think so ... I don't really get it why people pay crazy money for homebrew / rereleases only because they were made in small quantities, its not like its something vintage philips made ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2009, 09:19:59 AM »

actually I don't really see a problem ... "rare" (in these sense of only a few available) doesn't necessary mean "collectible".  I don't really get it why people pay crazy money for homebrew / rereleases only because they were made in small quantities ...

I agree that some releases/versions may not really be collectible, but it could be the difference between having a "complete" collection or not...
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »

take a look on some of the brazillian auction sites and they are awash with "prototypes" of games like Plantar lander, Pong, and all the other homebrew releases. These are clearly pirate variations. I cartridge is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. One man's $200 cart could be only worth $20 to another, at the end of the day who cares  Huh?

I have 12"
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2009, 02:52:56 AM »

Thing with the first R66 game though, is that is was a legit release. It just got hit blind-sided during release... (a tad like Power Lords - just a tad).

As for those games made in Brazil and elsewhere, I don't consider them 'legit'. And yes, it is nuts for anyone to pay good money for those releases!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: