Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
February 20, 2020, 04:16:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POWER LORDS PROTOTYPE ??? FAKE ???  (Read 6010 times)
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »

Yes that is all correct  Smiley

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »

My Powerlords proto cart doesn't have any extra wires inside. It does have an Eprom, but it's not in a socket but soldered directly onto the PCB.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »

Yes that is all correct  Smiley

A cart like the ones with the green socket on the right side of this picture?

http://www.ozyr.com/rene/PICS/cart_eprom.jpg
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 01:52:28 AM »

Finally, my POWERLORDS is a true prototype as indicate on the label or not?

Videopac digger
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »

Finally, my POWERLORDS is a true prototype as indicate on the label or not?

I'm not sure, because of the internal differences with my Powerlords proto (see above).
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 10:14:38 AM »

I think we can certainly say that your Powerlords cart is certainly different from what a powerlords cart should look like. You should see all the variations of KC munchkin, Pick Axe Pete and Night Fighter (again 3 version of the ?proto exist).

I have 12"
steelballs
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 12:20:57 AM »

I think unless you actually get the cartridges from the original source with a story to back it up then the chances are it's just an advance copy(ones with the printed labels) for stores/magazines to test out or indeed a copy made by an employee or enthusiast.

The fact a lot of these so called "prototypes" come with well finished printed labels might just reinforce the fact they were more like an advance/test/in store demo copy?

A real prototype wouldn't be nearly as polished as this would it Huh?

I'd have to agree with Manopac's post on this one, but that said it doesn't mean they are any less interesting to see or have!!

ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »

I think unless you actually get the cartridges from the original source with a story to back it up then the chances are it's just an advance copy(ones with the printed labels) for stores/magazines to test out or indeed a copy made by an employee or enthusiast.

The fact a lot of these so called "prototypes" come with well finished printed labels might just reinforce the fact they were more like an advance/test/in store demo copy?

A real prototype wouldn't be nearly as polished as this would it Huh?

I'd have to agree with Manopac's post on this one, but that said it doesn't mean they are any less interesting to see or have!!

I would have to agree and disagree with some of this statement. Sometime you cant backup the authenticity or original of a cart so where does that out the classification of a prototype?? A lot of of the original Odyssey 2 games were written by one person, which means that only they have the code or prior versions of the game which they wrote. This would mean that we would have to directly purchase / obtain a prior release version from the author to classsify it as a prototype. As for the american prototypes, well I have an idea about these. I dont think the "game" was the prototype I actually think the "artwork" was the prototype. There are two very good pieces of evidence for this :-

1. George has found some prototype booklets which suggest that phillips prototyped their artwork, and if you look at the artwork in George's prototype books and that which is on the front on the carts its virtually the same.

2. All the USA "prototypes" play exactly the same as the comerically released versions of the games, meaning that the code has not been changed, so this cant be a prototype game. So what's different, well check the artwork out. It's very subtle but there are some changes.

So, possibly, the artwork is the "prototype" and not the game???

Just my thoughts, comments would be welcome. 

I have 12"
steelballs
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 04:53:17 PM »

I think this discussion could go on for a long time as it's nearly impossible to know if what people find is simply a pirated copy of a game or a genuine "prototype". (I'm not talking about the US releases with the printed labels now, but more so the cartridges with small printed stickers or loose eproms)

When an unreleased game is discovered it doesn't mean that what that person has in their hands is necessarily a "prototype" it could also be a pirated copy made by an employee that never saw the light of day until a collector found it couldn't it?

I think that the phrase "prototype" has just become an easy way to for collectors to describe a category that remains a bit of a grey area for most!  Smiley

I think the theory of the artwork possibly being prototype artwork is a nice idea.

Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »

On the other hand, the prototype i had from robotcity, and the proto i've got from frogger, use a never released version of a circuit board. They have original philips part numbers printed on them. So i would guess that those 2 little white label versions are true prototypes. Don't know if the board used inside andy's proto of robotcity is the same.
I also think the term proto was used otherwise then it is used now. I guess since 1 person wrote the game, he would release multiple copies of the game to let other people test the game, before releasing them in public. Those with printed labels could be the final product before release. Just to make sure if there where no more errors in the code.
Some versions on loose eproms may have been earlier test versions, just to see if the game was good enough to get released. Those versions would likely have other source code since they would have been alpha versions of games.
And maybe because prices of eprom where high, they could have been used multiple times to hold changing code as the games got nearer to the finished product.

8 bits of fun
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: