Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 18, 2019, 02:07:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O2EM and Windows 7  (Read 15359 times)
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: November 22, 2009, 11:46:48 PM »

anyone here got any experiences with running O2EM under Windows 7 ? the funny thing is that it works sometimes but not all the time ... and changing into the Windows XP compatibility mode doesn't help either ... intrestingly it works more often if I start directly in the debug mode (with -debug) and it runs fine when I exit the debug mode ...

And once it ran successfully, it will work every time I start it ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »

Just sound like how a microsoft product should run, sometimes it works, many times it doesn't work.
I have no idea, still working with XP on my pc.

8 bits of fun
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:55 PM »

yea, from the lack of responses I guess I am the only one here with Windows 7 ... but I kinda like it (except for the funny working O2EM)

sex, lies, and videopac
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »

Does it work better then Vista? (I guess that is a stupid question... Roll Eyes)

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »

Does it start up in 7 seconds like Google Chrome?  Evil

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »

I don't expect my operating system to start as fast as my browser :-)

but if you are talking about the Google OS ... it looks intresting but I wouldn't use it for the same reason I am not using Linux or MacOS (the later also because I don't use a Mac): I need all the programs I have here now to run on my new OS, and I am not intrested to do it in some emulated or virtualized environment ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »

Yup Smiley same thing here...

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »

I work with virtualised environments a lot, and you might even find you do also without even knowing it. I can see a massive interest for people who are happy for someone else to store (and backup) all their files, and never having to worry about a laptop being stolen or damaged and losing all their new born baby photos. I think a lot of people will move to this for their standard spreadsheet / word processor type requirements and I'm sure a lot of other applications will be available very quickly.

Maybe most people will initially run this under Windows rather than as a dumb terminal, for the best of both worlds, but I think we might be seeing the birth of an even better challenger to Windows than Linux has been.

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:45:40 PM »

I work with virtualized environments at work and it works pretty good, still wouldn't want it at home.

Even I like the concept of the new Google OS - but I think its more of a mobile thing (for netbooks), and I am a bit paranoid about Google having all my data Smiley But as the protocols are open I can see a real good chance for it in work environments with companies having their own servers where the data is stored ...

If the Google OS concept works out, I guess Windows will copy that pretty soon ...

sex, lies, and videopac
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »

anyone here got any experiences with running O2EM under Windows 7 ? the funny thing is that it works sometimes but not all the time ... and changing into the Windows XP compatibility mode doesn't help either ... intrestingly it works more often if I start directly in the debug mode (with -debug) and it runs fine when I exit the debug mode ...

And once it ran successfully, it will work every time I start it ...

Update on this: I just fixed the problems with O2EM as it was really annoying .. it was the way O2EM uses the Allegro library and sets a color mode that forces windows to switch to a different (8 bit) color mode as well ...

If anyone is using Windows 7 and needs this version urgently, drop me a pm, if the current one works for you, stay with that ... I am gonna release my version as an "unofficial" version again once I am done (am implementing a lot of new debug commands and fixed a few of those that went broken from my last unofficial to the official 1.18 ... also trying to make it more "real" in the sense of writing to certain VDC registers only if VDC is off and things like that ... to make it a bit more like the real system for developing ...)

sex, lies, and videopac
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »

Will your version work on Vista as well?
Although O2em 1.18 works fine on Vista, the switching to the 8 bit color mode is a bit annoying.
And if the behaviour of the emulator is closer to how a real console works, that's an advantage too.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »

sure should ... there's nothing Win7 specific there ...

right now I haven't implemented the other changes, maybe I have time on the weekend to do so, but I will send you an email with the new exe anyway so you can try it on Vista ...

but you seriously should consider upgrading to Win7, its by far superior to Vista as far as I know ...

sex, lies, and videopac
tiamate
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:52 PM »

Hi manopac,

I am using o2em with windows 7 X64.

Same problem here, as the emulator starts the color go wrong (in full screen mode).
In windows mode it runs fine.

Could you send me the fixed version?

I have e-mailed you a Private message.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »

Same problem here, as the emulator starts the color go wrong (in full screen mode).
In windows mode it runs fine.

unfortunatly I don't have a fix for that yet ... I noticed the same thing, on my computer under Win7 one of the colors goes wrong (and not all the time, sometimes it works just fine), on my wife's notebook (also Win7, also Lenovo, different model) basically all go colors go wrong ... my fix fixes only the windowed mode so far ... I also didn't find anything yet about Allegro and Win 7, but am working on it and will keep you updated!

sex, lies, and videopac
tiamate
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »

My windows 7 is in notebook too (hp pavilion dv4).

The graphic card is  onboard ATI.

You see, this notebook of mine is mainly a luxury videogame.

It?s fully loaded with mame, kega, znes, etc... and i connect it to a HDTV just for playing.

I think I will dual boot him with a Windows XP just to make ODYSSEY work again...

I really love to play a game of  "attack of Timelord" sometimes.

But for the positive side, with this windows 7 problem i found this very good forum.

I am really enjoying...

Good games for everybody!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: