Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 18, 2019, 02:09:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O2EM and Windows 7  (Read 15360 times)
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 11:05:31 PM »

Quick update: I probably have a working O2EM for Win7 and Vista now (fullscreen with correct colors, windowed mode without switching the color scheme to basic) ... not ready for release yet as I want to fix some more bugs and have a few more features in mind, but will be out soon ... anyone in desperate need (aka "I am a Win7 or Vista user") drop me a PM

sex, lies, and videopac
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 11:25:49 PM »

As Ren? and me spammed the shoutbox full, the link to a preview of the new O2EM is gone from there ... so here it is again ...

it shows a few new features:
- browse window when O2EM is called without a filename (all parameters like fullscreen etc. can still be used)
- "findsprite" in debugger to find the currently drawn sprite in the ROM
- "editsprite" which is the new spriteeditor that allows you to change the sprites in the ROM
- "saverom" which saves the ROM like it was originally loaded and allows you to save a modified version of the game

and thats basically what happens in the video, I open o2em, load vp_38, start the game, change into debugger, look for sprite nr. 1 in memory and edit that location as sprite (change the munchkin into a moose) and save the rom under a new name ... simple sprite hack done without any extra tools and in less than 2 minutes :-)

http://www.guttenbrunner.com/videopac/o2empreview.avi

sex, lies, and videopac
Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 01:55:59 AM »

It?s amazing. Is possible to do an editgrid like it?
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »

was just thinking about it and am afraid I have to say no Sad (if you don't convince me otherwise)

Reason: Sprites are a list of 8 bytes that are stored in memory usually exactly as on screen (exception: if some parts are changed to create a "moving" image, e.g. the enemies in munchkin - but for that my findsprite can do a non-exact search and tells you how good the romlocation fits (e.g. 7/8 bytes)).
Grids are different ... depending on the programmer of a game a grid might be calculated by code (e.g. in later levels of Griddefender the Grid can be eaten by the enemies), or stored with the unused bytes if there is enough space etc. That way the only possible thing to do would be to edit the Grid currently shown on the screen, but as soon as you do a reset or the game redraws the grid on screen, the changes would be lost ...

if its about designing a grid, I recommend using my grideditor ROM and the new features of O2EM to save regions from certain locations (VDC, extram, intram, rom) as textfile, so you can easily integrate it in your own sourcecode then (I did all my GridDefender maps that way)

But again: if you got any idea what could be implemented, just let me know ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 11:42:41 PM »

Well, but where I can get the new eumlator? It?s already available? About the grid, I was thinking, (I don?t know if you already saw it) in something like Pick Axe Pete level creator.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »

not yet available, but latest on the weekend ...  Cool

the problem is, that it wouldn't work like a level editor - I don't know how the grid is stored in Pick Axe, but they wouldn't store a full grid, no vertical lines for example, so you can't figure out from the ROM without looking at the source code how the Grid is constructed - hence you wouldn't find it and wouldn't know how to interpret it in a programmaticle way - and if you just change the grid as drawn on the screen, it wouldn't stay after the next screen refresh

I still don't think there's a good way to work past that problems ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »

WOW! Nice improvements.

Is there a posibility that O2EM just might become a fully functional development tool?  That you can for instance create a new empty rom and then start programming?

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 02:28:06 PM »

I can add a feature, that O2EM can be started with a (non-existing) filename and a command line option to create that as a new rom ... and you can already use the debuggers "as" command (which I implemented in v17.1) to program ... but the thing is: who would really want to program from scratch in the debugger :-) still, let me know if you want that, then I can implement it

for my new emulator some more features for programmers are anyway planned:
- connecting source code of a rom and the rom in the debugger, so you can step through your code instead of wondering where the line you are looking at is in your source code
- give the option to show function names from the bios instead of the address (same thing for VDC registers)

and more ... if you can think of things you are missing in O2EM now, let me know ... some things are just too much work to implement in O2EM, so I rather do that in my new emu ...

sex, lies, and videopac
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 02:29:33 PM »

oh - and some more functions which are not shown in the video but are useful for programming / hacking:

you can now turn the drawing of certain things on / off - sprites, chars, quadchars, grid, videopac+, so you can then easily see, what elements are used to create certain gfx effects :-)

sex, lies, and videopac
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »

Is there no chance to emulate Chess module?
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »

and more ... if you can think of things you are missing in O2EM now, let me know ... some things are just too much work to implement in O2EM, so I rather do that in my new emu ...

Maybe it would be nice if O2EM keeps the limitations in mind of the real VPAC, like for instance the interference you get when two characters collide. It would be a real advantage for programmers.

Also the thing that was most difficult for me was the page-breaks during code. Is there a way that O2Em could show where in your code the error's appear?

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 11:10:13 PM »

Maybe it would be nice if O2EM keeps the limitations in mind of the real VPAC, like for instance the interference you get when two characters collide. It would be a real advantage for programmers.

It?s true, I was thinking about a game with bananas and I think is possible produce some bananas with overlap chars. But better like an opcional thing.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »

Unfortunatly someone has yet to figure out, what the VDC does in that case ... I might simulate it in my emu by at least showing some error when that happens, so the programmer knows he has to do something about it ... no way to implement that in o2em though ...

Also the thing that was most difficult for me was the page-breaks during code. Is there a way that O2Em could show where in your code the error's appear?

hm ... not really ... but what I always use is "md" in the debugger and see, what free bytes (FF) are there at the end of every page, you see immediately when a page overflows to the next one ... (because that one is then basically empty)

I guess it would be possible to do that in the assembler also ... if you calculate the difference between every page beginning and end and let the assembler throw an error message, if there's more than 256 bytes inbetween, then you would see that at compile (=assemble) time ... will maybe look into that ... what assembler are you using ?

sex, lies, and videopac
TomsF
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »

Hi to all :-)

I have just tried to download O2EM emulator on my laptop with Windows 7, I can not get it to work :-(
Is there a problem run it on that system or is it just me ? :-(

Would be great if it would run on my computer :-)

Best Regards
Tommas
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »

Hi Tommas!

which version did you download? try the one in the first post here:
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1771.0

if it still does not work - can you describe what happens when you try to run it ?

thanks

sex, lies, and videopac
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: