Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 25, 2021, 08:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music and Chars  (Read 8453 times)
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« on: July 01, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »

I cant?remember if I already asked that or if I just think. I not sure but maybe I readed anywhere that 2600?s Pitfall 2 uses an extra chip for music, could it be possible on the Ody? The other question is about max. char on the screen, I know Ren? already talk about it, but I not founded, how I remember is possible to get 128 chars in 8 lines of 16 chars, is it correct?
Rene_G7400

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »

I not sure but maybe I readed anywhere that 2600?s Pitfall 2 uses an extra chip for music, could it be possible on the Ody?

I don't know which chip the 2600 uses, but I've successfully controlled an AY-3-8910 soundchip with a Videopac console.

The other question is about max. char on the screen, I know Ren? already talk about it, but I not founded, how I remember is possible to get 128 chars in 8 lines of 16 chars, is it correct?

Yes. My test has all 4 quad's on one line (so 16 characters), which are updated 8 times. If you would also use the 12 normal characters, you can have a maximum of 140 chars on the screen at the same time. All characters on one line will have the same color (except the 12 loose chars).

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:47:40 AM »

I not sure but maybe I readed anywhere that 2600?s Pitfall 2 uses an extra chip for music, could it be possible on the Ody?

I don't know which chip the 2600 uses, but I've successfully controlled an AY-3-8910 soundchip with a Videopac console.

How you made this experience, I mean how to check it working?
Rene_G7400

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »

How you made this experience, I mean how to check it working?

I've made a testcart for hardware experiments. It has an Eprom socket and a ribbon cable with a DIL connector that I plug into a breadboard. All signals of the cartridge port go to this connector. I've also put the soundchip and some extra logic on the breadboard, and connected the sound output to an active speaker. I've written a simple testprogram to send data to the registers of the soundchip.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »

The other question is about max. char on the screen, I know Ren? already talk about it, but I not founded, how I remember is possible to get 128 chars in 8 lines of 16 chars, is it correct?
Yes. My test has all 4 quad's on one line (so 16 characters), which are updated 8 times. If you would also use the 12 normal characters, you can have a maximum of 140 chars on the screen at the same time. All characters on one line will have the same color (except the 12 loose chars).

Just forgot to ask an important detail, will it work in every console (Euro, Usa, Br)?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:14:02 PM by Rene_G7400 » Logged
Rene_G7400

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:12:34 PM »

Just forgot to ask an important detail, will it work in every console (Euro, Usa, Br)?

At first I didn't even try it on an NTSC Odyssey2 console, because I thought it would never work. But after some timing adjustments I really got it working on NTSC consoles too. So yes, it will work on every Videopac and Odyssey(2) console. (I don't have a brazilian Odyssey console, but the timing of them should be the same as U.S. Odyssey2 consoles.)
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:12:26 AM »

It?s good Wink
TedFoolery
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »

Rene, just to clarify, your project with the AY-3-8910 soundchip made sounds from an external speaker, not from the tv, correct?

Even if that's true, I wonder if a small speaker could fit inside a standard cart (with the extra chips, it might be a tight squeeze). This would finally allow the O2 to have music while a game is being played.

Rene_G7400

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »

Rene, just to clarify, your project with the AY-3-8910 soundchip made sounds from an external speaker, not from the tv, correct?

Yes, that's right. You would need an extra speaker, just like the Voice module.
The AY-3-8910 is pretty large, but I've read in the datasheet that there are smaller versions without the (unnecessary) extra I/O ports (AY-3-8912 and AY-3-8913).
I needed at least two extra TTL IC's for the control signals (74LS04 and 74LS32).
Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

Gorfians take no prisoners!

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »

Rene and I are working together to make an addon to the Videopac/O^2 consoles
that allow you not only this sound system but much more RAM and ROM as well as
powerful functions such as math and instant Character 'Y' positions coordinate
setup with less code.

I am going to eventually get around to throwing the logic parts of this system onto
a small CPLD/FPGA and then add sockets. It should allow for some amazing new games
on the systems.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »

and instant Character 'Y' positions coordinate
setup with less code.

Loved it Cheesy
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 03:36:09 AM »

Rene and I are working together to make an addon to the Videopac/O^2 consoles
that allow you not only this sound system but much more RAM and ROM as well as
powerful functions such as math and instant Character 'Y' positions coordinate
setup with less code.

How will this add-on be done? I would guess some type of internal addition that would be attached to the main board in some way?

P.S. You've got at least one buyer that would be interested in this (actually, I'd buy more than one, so....)  Cool

Rene_G7400

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »

How will this add-on be done? I would guess some type of internal addition that would be attached to the main board in some way?

There will be no need to open the console, it's all been done through the cartridge port.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:09:18 AM »

I am going to eventually get around to throwing the logic parts of this system onto
a small CPLD/FPGA and then add sockets. It should allow for some amazing new games
on the systems.

Maybe, few early arcade games can?t be converted to Ody, digging games, like Mr. DO, QIX and sliding puzzles like Locomotion, do you think the Ody will be capable to do games like that. I also think a new add on like this requires unless a new software for tests, is there more secrets  Roll Eyes
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »

There will be no need to open the console, it's all been done through the cartridge port.

Cartidge port?

As is an add-on like the Chess module?

Or through cart w/extra stuf inside?

Or is this still too early in development to talk about?

Would also be interested if this is going to be a limited thing, or made on demand (which I would prefer).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: