Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
October 26, 2020, 05:51:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pete on Atari  (Read 5502 times)
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« on: October 02, 2007, 04:09:13 AM »

Another interesting discussion:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114241
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:23:44 AM »

It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.  Maybe an Atari PAP will draw more attention to the Odyssey2/Videopac.  I'm all for that.
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:35:24 PM »

Just goes to show why I don't like Atariage much anymore - at least their forum. Always cutting down the O2, but then they want to port games. Losers (at least some of them)...

Just my two bits...

Oh, and I really don't see this bringing anyone to the O2 - it'll just keep the hardcore Atari folks happy with their so-called superior system. Myself, I'd like to see the boulders with that damn 2600 screen flicker.

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 02:39:17 AM »

It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.  Maybe an Atari PAP will draw more attention to the Odyssey2/Videopac.  I'm all for that.

I agree. But I ever seen some discussion around O2 ports to 2600 and it never happens.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:13 AM »

Myself, I'd like to see the boulders with that damn 2600 screen flicker.

Or we call it Flicker Axe Pete Smiley
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:09:35 AM »

Cheesy

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 05:08:15 PM »

Oh, and I really don't see this bringing anyone to the O2 - it'll just keep the hardcore Atari folks happy with their so-called superior system. Myself, I'd like to see the boulders with that damn 2600 screen flicker.

Funny.  I think seeing an Atari version would be funny.  It would just go to show how poorly the 2600 stacks up against the O2/Videopac in regards to quality of the images.  I have never seen anyone successfully port an Odyssey/videopac game to the Atari. 
fernandotcl
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 06:43:35 PM »

Funny.  I think seeing an Atari version would be funny.  It would just go to show how poorly the 2600 stacks up against the O2/Videopac in regards to quality of the images.
I don't think that's accurate. The quality of images in several 2600 games is excellent (River Raid, Pressure Cooker, for example, and those aren't even the most graphically advanced 2600 games).

The Odyssey and the 2600 are too different internally, there are obvious challenges involving porting games between the platforms. Sure, a game like Pick Axe Pete! is not going to be an easy port. But I believe that many design decisions taken for Pick Axe Pete! were hugely influenced by the characteristics of the Odyssey platform. Likewise, porting a game like River Raid to the Odyssey should be equally hard (if not even harder), mostly because it exploits 2600's strengths which aren't available in the Odyssey.
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 09:27:26 PM »

Funny.  I think seeing an Atari version would be funny.  It would just go to show how poorly the 2600 stacks up against the O2/Videopac in regards to quality of the images.
I don't think that's accurate. The quality of images in several 2600 games is excellent (River Raid, Pressure Cooker, for example, and those aren't even the most graphically advanced 2600 games).

The Odyssey and the 2600 are too different internally, there are obvious challenges involving porting games between the platforms. Sure, a game like Pick Axe Pete! is not going to be an easy port. But I believe that many design decisions taken for Pick Axe Pete! were hugely influenced by the characteristics of the Odyssey platform. Likewise, porting a game like River Raid to the Odyssey should be equally hard (if not even harder), mostly because it exploits 2600's strengths which aren't available in the Odyssey.
I suppose the term "quality of images" is a bit subjective.  My opinion is that the less flicker in a game the better the quality of the image.  Atari game makers did utilize the flicker somewhat to their advantage in a few games.  I agree, porting two totally games built for totally different systems is not easy.  I wasn't necessarily trying to get into the atari versus odyssey debate.  I'm a player not a hater... Wink
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »

Nice. Seems Pete will be a reality. There?s a .bin file on that topic. I also forget there?s a 2600 Robot City version.
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 01:57:15 AM »

Maybe someone should port a 2600 game to the O2, and do it better than the 2600! Just a thought...

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 11:12:32 PM »

Seems 2600 PAP will becomes  reality.  Shocked
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 11:13:30 PM »

Maybe someone should port a 2600 game to the O2, and do it better than the 2600! Just a thought...
Tutankham on the Videopac is far better than the Atari version in my opinion :-)

Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 04:21:40 AM »

Yes, Tut is better on the O2, which I think is pretty cool.

Still, I'd like to see some of the better 2600 games ported over. That would be nice.

ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 09:16:56 AM »

Yes, Tut is better on the O2, which I think is pretty cool.

Still, I'd like to see some of the better 2600 games ported over. That would be nice.
I'd like to see Activision releases on the Videopac. I have plans for some, but don't await them in the next weeks ;-)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: