Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
August 25, 2019, 03:38:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emulating Chess and Backgammon  (Read 1571 times)
ssj
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »

I've been playing around with odyssey2/videopac emulation lately and even though I can run pretty much all games with o2em or MESS there are 2 that don't seem to be playable. Chess and Backgammon, can they be emulated?

I can understand that Chess might not be since it requires the extra expansion, but is there anything particular on backgammon that makes it special?

Both games show a lot of flicker on o2em, on MESS using the videopac bios they seem fine graphic-wise, I can even start chess and go as far as enter my first move, but after that nothing happens.
On Backgammon the empty table board just shows there and I can't seem to be able to do anything.

Just curious about it since every other game seems to be playable.

TIA
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »

Backgammon is very timing critical, and O2em doesn't emulate the european Videopac console good enough to be able to play Backgammon. (Backgammon has a lot more objects than the Odyssey2/Videopac could normally display, so it does a lot of mid-screen video-chip updates.)

You're right that the Chess ROM won't work without the module, it would require Z80 emulation inside O2em.
ssj
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Interesting that everyone seems to prefer o2em, that was my #1 emu as well, but I'm finding out that MESS now actually has better compatibility at least for the european version, for example Syracuse or Exojet doesn't run properly on o2em, but works just fine on MESS. These 2 (chess and backgammon) actually seem to be playable to some extend on MESS as well, only thing that bothers me on MESS is that graphics don't seem to be as sharp as oe2m's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: