Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 11, 2019, 01:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fond Videopac memories  (Read 1574 times)
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »

After enjoying the many nice stories here over the past few years, i'd like to attribute my own. It probably won't be as interesting to read as Janzl's trip to Philips HQ, but here we go anyways:

Believe it or not, my first game console experience ever was actually at my grandma's place. My own mum&dad where never that much into technology at the time: we still had a 12" Black and white tv with the 2 dials throughout the 80s (this no doubt accounts for me overcompensating with a 110" full hd beamer these days, but thats probably another story ;-)

So imagine my enthousiasm when my grandma revealed the Videopac with color tv and whatnot! Better yet, she already bought like 10 games or so from the getgo.
Besides me and my brother, she had another 8 grandchildren and the storeclerk probably conviced her and my grandfather that besides entertaining the videopac could also be educational! (no doubt a popular sales argument back in the day!). Among the first releases i most liked race/spinout , but must admit i also played some of the more educational titles (i mean i would touch anything that would generate color images people!).

It was evident that from that day any sentence starting with "we would go to my grandpa&grandma (fathers side) to... " would be met with cheers , while the other set was met with unaudiable mumblings . I do have a nice story to tell about me constantly escaping through the backyard of my other grandparents to visit my nephew (who i recently converted to a videopac addict, true story!) to play MSX at his place!

Anyhow, the best part was that in the following years i would have to stay over there during school days (i was going to school near my grandparents and we live in the next town), so during those years my grandparents videopac collection grew and grew and i have been able to play through the all time favorites like Munchkin, KC crazy chase, freedom fighters and terrahawks as they came by.... Chocolatebutter sandwiched and all!

During the tale-end of the videogame craze my father got a C64 from work, which i couldnt touch (day 1), secretly played games on intensively (day-2 to week 2) and launched my love for the c64 and my programming carreer at age 7 (week 3 and forwards), but thats a story not best suited for this forum (as it will would no doubt be flooded with massive c64 praising and anekdotes ;-)

Fast forward to 1998: Just finished my studies and started my game-company (we did a bunch of work on gameboy and first generations color mobile phones) and i started collecting videogames. It took a little while, but i managed to get a complete european collection, i later completed it with all O2 (minus powerlords) and homebrews (minus the 10copy limited powerlords and a limited programmed trip). There also a small story about me aquiring a english-language G7200 but thats for another day kids!

Anyways, i'm glad that after so many years i am able to give something back to the system/community that has given me so much over the years. I'm currently working on a couple of games that will hopefully see the light-of-day at some time in the future.

Until next time...

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »

Nice story, thanks for sharing

8 bits of fun
grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:25:15 AM »

Nice story! Ah so you got the UK G7200  Wink

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: