Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
October 15, 2019, 06:55:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Soldering Experience  (Read 1137 times)
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: November 16, 2011, 11:53:53 PM »

I accidentally broke one of my USB ports on my computer tower. (Long story, lol)  I basically destroyed the female USB connector to where it was impossible to put any USB device in it and it had to be replaced.

I thought I could take this opportunity to learn how to solder, so I took it.  I bought some silver solder, and a really cheap 30W soldering iron.  I desoldered the old broken connector and was able to get it out eventually so I could solder a new one in.

I'm pleasantly surprised of how well it went.  I don't have any desoldering tools yet so that part took the longest.  I probably should have practiced on something else first but it actually didn't look that bad when I was done, and it works as well as the other USB ports now so I'm pretty happy about that. Smiley

gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

Great result!

I know from experience that desoldering stuff from multilayer boards is very difficult to do without damaging the board or the tracks and/or vias.

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:57:48 AM »

Great result!

I know from experience that desoldering stuff from multilayer boards is very difficult to do without damaging the board or the tracks and/or vias.

Yes, I did slightly damage one of the traces but not to a point to where it didn't work.  It was just slightly raised from the board.  I'm sure with time and practice it will get better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: