Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
August 04, 2020, 04:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Software House Problems!!  (Read 8659 times)
TedFoolery
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 04:16:36 AM »

Quiz?? Do you mean the Roboto puzzle? The solution page is still up:

http://www.tedfoolery.com/o2/solution.html

I know this thread sort of got off the point (software house) but my view on homebrews is: If you have the time and energy, write the game you want. Planet Lander barely fit in 2k, but it I managed to get everything I wanted in it -- advancing levels, mid-screen gfx changes (for the gauges), and multiple screens (like Pick Axe Pete).

Roboto and PPP had a lot more bells and whistles, but I don't feel they got in the way of the game. FYI - the SELECT GAME in Roboto is actually my own routine because I 'had' to include the Matrix-esque falling letters. Also, one problem I have of many O2 games is that most 2 player games need 2 players. As a geek in the 80's, I had very few friends Sad , so these games weren't any fun. I would have loved to play QFTR or even the combat Tank game. So, Roboto needed to have a computerized player -- which took up some memory.

The early O2 games had to be 2k. One guy wrote EVERYTHING, so I'm sure he was pressured to put as many games out in very little time. Plus, back then, 2k chips were cheaper than 4k chips (do we even have 2k chips today?).

I don't think we should limit the homebrews to be the same quality of the games 20 years ago. It just doesn't make sense to limit ourselves. I'm not saying that it should be 8k or nothing. There are plenty of 2k games that are good. I think Route 66 is 2k and it is a fine game -- it looks a bit better than a lot of the original games.

Just my 2 cents.

grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »

Ah yes I always liked Easter Eggs, nice idea just using the = at the select game screen. I remember in the early Excel days the Doom style one, anyone else remember seeing that one?
http://www.eggheaven.com/browse/applications/en138

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 02:57:31 AM »

Ah yes I always liked Easter Eggs, nice idea just using the = at the select game screen. I remember in the early Excel days the Doom style one, anyone else remember seeing that one?
http://www.eggheaven.com/browse/applications/en138

I also like easter eggs. Especially the Mr. Roboto easter egg  Grin
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 02:47:24 PM »

well if and when we start recruiting new programmers perhaps an easter egg should be something we should put in a game them, I must admit I quite like this idea.

I have 12"
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 02:53:48 PM »

Thanks for all the updates, I have taken them all on board. I have looked at all your comments individually and will try to do things which you all like, I can't promise to please everyone, but will try. I will try and :-

Use extremely good quality packaging
Add a quiz in the manual
Keep all the literature free from error and keep it accurate
Use good quality printed labels
Try and get some Autographs
Come up with a new numbering system and artwork design for the Retrogenesis label
Use images from the prototypes

ARE THERE ANY OTHER THINGS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE IN THESE GAMES?Huh?

I have 12"
fernandotcl
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

My (very personal and subjective) take:

• For prototypes, I think it would be cool to present some history as well. For example, the manual would contain a few pages of gameplay instructions and things like that. In the last few pages, the manual would tell the history of the prototype (who found it, how it was found, who created it and things like that). There must be a very clear division between the fictional story of the game and the part that explains that the game is a prototype (for example, a completely different background color). The fictional story shouldn't mention that the game is a prototype at all;
  • I'm fond of hidden puzzles. I wouldn't like to need to browse a website for tips, though. In fact, I don't even like the idea of announcing that there's a puzzle hidden somewhere in the game, it sounds too artificial. Also, by not announcing them, the user is forced to look for them everywhere. It's just like easter eggs, you don't announce them either.

I agree with all those topics you mentioned, I'm looking forward to your releases.
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »

Thanks for the positive comments. I have already started a Developers log of what's happening a bit like a blog, hopefully it will get published, as for the puzzle well I'll try and include one, I'm not making any promises!!

I have 12"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: