Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 08, 2019, 01:39:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got my first game (VP34) back!  (Read 2394 times)
lordbubsy
Trying to get the cartridge in...

G7000 rookie

« on: February 12, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »

Hi forum,
This is my first post here, so I?ll introduce myself. I?m 45 years and from the Netherlands and my real name is Marco.
My first COMPUTER  was the PHILIPS G7000 and my favorite game, as you can see is / was VIDEOPAC 34 Satellite Attack. Sooo addictive!
Thanks to Retro Snippets #87 I bought a G7000 / 22 with VIDEOPAC 1, 18, 34 and 39 on eBay.

I?m an active Commodore 64 collector and clean, hack and program them. The last few years I got some C128?s, an Amiga 1200, a VIC-20 and now finally a G7000.

I?d like to do some things with it:

?   Wash and clean Smiley
?   A/V mod
?   230V Connector
?   ON/OFF switch
?   Separate RESET switch
?   Power LED
?   Commodore compatible joystick connectors
?   Revise the joysticks
?   Using a cartridge to make a multi-cartridge with a 27C801 EPROM and perhaps a small AVR to select the games.
?   I have the components to build a RAM-CARD, but I don?t have a PCB.
?   The mbed cartridge emulation from ?gertk? I find also very appealing although I have totally no knowledge nor experience mbed programming.

Regarding the multi-cartridge, perhaps I better start a new thread when I get to it.

8-bit assimilation
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »

?   Using a cartridge to make a multi-cartridge with a 27C801 EPROM and perhaps a small AVR to select the games.
?   I have the components to build a RAM-CARD, but I don?t have a PCB.
?   The mbed cartridge emulation from ?gertk? I find also very appealing although I have totally no knowledge nor experience mbed programming.

Regarding the multi-cartridge, perhaps I better start a new thread when I get to it.
Hi Marco,

The mbed is programmed in C or C++ although for the rom emulator I used some ARM assembler too. The compiler is 'in the cloud' so you need Internet access to program it. Beside the ROM emulation it emulates 'The Voice' also. It has 2 MB of flash onboard so you can store a bunch of Videopac games on it.

What needs to be done is a PCB design which fits into the cartridge slot and can either take an mbed or LPCxpresso (is a bit cheaper but also larger). On the PCB there should be just the mbed module, a small amplifier (LM386 or such) and some circuitry which reacts on prolonged reset of the Videopac so you can reset the game by pressing the reset button shortly and by pressing it longer it will reset the mbed also and go back to the ROM selection menu.

Do you attend the Commodore meetings in Maarssen also ?

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
lordbubsy

G7000 rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:07:25 PM »

The mbed is programmed in C or C++ although for the rom emulator I used some ARM assembler too. The compiler is 'in the cloud' so you need Internet access to program it. Beside the ROM emulation it emulates 'The Voice' also. It has 2 MB of flash onboard so you can store a bunch of Videopac games on it.
Hi gertk,
Looks very promising! I?ll have to read more about the mbed!
Is the rom-emulation equal to an EPROM design?
Do all ?normal? roms work?
Do I need to buy a programmer for the mbed?

I haven?t bought a 27C801 EPROM yet, so I?ll wait a bit with that Smiley

Do you attend the Commodore meetings in Maarssen also ?
Believe me, I would if I could, but my health doesn?t allow me to.

Never the less, I?m looking forward to the developments!

8-bit assimilation
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »

Is the rom-emulation equal to an EPROM design?
Do all ?normal? roms work?
Do I need to buy a programmer for the mbed?

The emulation is a revolutionary new design  Cheesy

The mbed is emulating an (EP)ROM in realtime, the cartridge connector is connected directly (well I inserted some safety resistors in series) to the mbed's IO ports and it reacts on the read and write commands of the 8048.

So far all the standard roms work (those without extra bankswitch hardware inside the cartridge), the few cartridges that are different require only a bit of mbed programming.

You need no special programmer: the mbed is connected to a PC by a USB cable, it appears on the PC as two devices: a Flash storage device (like an USB stick) and a serial port device (very handy for debugging!). Take a look at http://www.mbed.org It is like an Arduino on steroids  Smiley

lordbubsy

G7000 rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »

Thanks for your info.
So, I read most of your posts about the mbed and a bit at http://www.mbed.org.

Basically I?m very anxious to try and rebuild your cart, I could test it only on the G7000 as I poses only that one.

Would an LPCmini be sufficient or does it has to be an LPCxpresso?
Do you have an address where to buy one of them cheaply?

Of course if it is too early to test, I can wait...

8-bit assimilation
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »

We should continue this further in the mbed rom emu thread  Smiley

So far I only tested it with the mbed. I am sure the new mbed with the lightweight CPU (Cortex M0) will be too slow (it is also only 10 Euros cheaper than a 'real' mbed). The LPCxpresso and LPCmini both lack the 2MB flash storage so you will have to program some roms in the 512k of onboard CPU flashrom (the mbed's CPU has 512k of internal flash where it downloads the latest .bin file found on the 2MB of USB storage) The advantage of the LPCxpresso is that it has a lot more port pins available and (micro)SD card storage would be easy to add. With the mbed all external port pins are occupied.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:22:45 AM by gertk » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: