Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 12, 2019, 03:41:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commodore Vic-20  (Read 5002 times)
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »

Any fans of this system here?

I am currently knee-deep into uexpanded vic20 development. A long way to go! First thing i did is look at the best games and best looking games and now i'm trying to match and/or improve on it. Yesteday i did some experimenting with raster interrupts, last night i built my own vic20 graphics tool (for some reason i can never get along with existing tools :-( ) and today i will carefully take my first steps towards getting a titlescreen (mixed hires+raster-trickery and multicolor) and a gameloop some moving objects going.

Problem is it all has to fit in 3.5k, or 2.5k if you deduct the 1k i am using for a custom-character set+random setup :S

Theoretically, vic-20 isnt planned until Q1-2013 so i still have a bit of time to get it all up and running. I will post a screenshot here in the future once i have something passable.

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »

I have a vic20 but the only game I have and played on the machine is atlantis. Since my vic 20 is missing a key, I haven't looked at the system for some time. I prefer the c64.

8 bits of fun
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »

I have a vic20 but the only game I have and played on the machine is atlantis. Since my vic 20 is missing a key, I haven't looked at the system for some time. I prefer the c64.
While i am a commodore-guy at hart (my first homecomputer was a c64, my first console a videopac), i never had a vic20 back in the 80s. Now i have 2: One that i have connected and in active use, and one mint-in-box for the collection.
I almost always use joystick to play games on it and my own stuff will definitely support joystick (not even sure if i will support keyboard at all ;-)

C-64 already has a bunch of cool stuff released for it (like the recent soulless, great game in the style of Draconus!), so i always give my love to the systems that can use a bit more attention / and are most challenging in terms of constrains, therefore VIC-20 and C-16 are on my todo list for 2013. I've already updated my VIC20-graphicstool to support c16 and C64 too.

Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »

The Vic20 was my second computer after the ZX81!
Favorite game on the Vic was Omega race on cartridge  (aha!)

I did a lot of programming on that machine, even did a 44 character on a line routine (with 8x4 pixels characters..)
to overcome the 22 character per line limit (that was really a step back from the ZX81 32 characters)

One memorable thing of the VIC20: to use all direction bits of the joystick you had to give up a keyboard scanline! My first attempts to read the joystick from Basic with PEEK had me convinced the computer had a defect and was sent back to the shop I bought it from. They tested it with some game cartridges and it worked fine... In a Your Computer magazine I found the answer, a couple of POKEs later the joystick worked.

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
ptol
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »

The Vic 20 was our first real computer after the Videopac G7000. My father bought it in 1983. I loved this machine. A year later he sold it an bought a C64 which we had until 1987, after that he got the Amiga 2000. Yes, we loved Commodore machines Smiley

I still have a Vic 20 an play with it occasionally. I have a bunch of original tapes and cartridges and I downloaded some tape images and recorded them as wav files on a real tape, and they work!

Some of my Favourite Vic 20 games: Shadow Fax, Triad, Kwazy Kwaks, Jumping Jack, Skramble...
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »

i love my vic20, but development-wise it is kind-of in between. See: with a zx81 there is a definite limit to what you can do with the machine and it becomes easy to develop within that mindset.

The vic-20 is in potential a very powerful machine but had some bad design choices (like the unexpanded ram and especially the way multicolor graphics are handled). Also, with 3.5k of space, you cant go overboard on the graphics department, so i am definitely torn on how to divide my space between graphics and gamecode.

So yes if you use it in a basic kind-of-way with simple graphics a few soundeffects it becomes easy like the zx81, but then again i cannot stand not-getting all the juice out of a machine.

to be continued....

Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »

Martijn,

Do you plan on releasing games for the colecovision and intellivision?

8 bits of fun
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »

Martijn,

Do you plan on releasing games for the colecovision and intellivision?
Colecovision is still in the cards for this year, but there is just a lot of stuff that goes into producing a cart.
First release will be a beefed up version of astrododge with better graphics/animation, beefed up gameplay and 2-player versus mode!

I haven't looked into intellivision yet, but new platforms for 2013 are: VIC-20, C-16, Atari 2600, Neogeo-CD and Dreamcast.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:14:29 PM by revivalstudios » Logged

revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

Both Avalanche and Mayhem are near completition and will run on an unexpanded Commodore VIC 20.

Looks like i will be demonstrating both games at the next Commodore event (20 oktober, Maarsen, Netherlands). I already put up a Commodore VIC20 section at my website here -> http://www.revival-studios.com/?page=137

Some screens (please note there are virtually no unexpanded games for the vic-20 with heavy use of custom and/or multicolored graphics):

Avalanche title screen

Avalanche ingame. Plays really nice with good audio feedback.

Mayhem title screen. Desprite the chunkyness (which the vic20 is known for) i really like how the logo turned out (and in how few unique tiles i was able to build this screen)

This one of those cases where you just need a moving-image to appreciate it.

The games should be available before the end of the month on cassette tape and as digital download.

Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »

Looks nice!

Seems like Wizzy has gotten stuck in some kind of hydraulic press and escaped just a little to late  Grin

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »

Awesome...

Next step COMX35 ?  Wink

revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »

Looks nice!

Seems like Wizzy has gotten stuck in some kind of hydraulic press and escaped just a little to late  Grin
Yep, the VIC-20 is known for its chunkyness... Its 'hires mode' is more or less the c64's lowres, and the multicolor mode (which i use) is even chunkier ;-)

ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »

Chunky = cool!  Cool

gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:51:14 AM »

Maybe use double height for objects and characters ? (and still move per single line up an down if possible)

On a 16:9 screen it will be even worse...  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:29:34 PM by gertk » Logged

revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »

update: Avalanche for vic20 got reviewed and scored 8/10 in issue 65 of commodore free

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: