Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 13, 2017, 02:28:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Mod for Odyssey2  (Read 19405 times)
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:44:44 PM »

With the old board gone, could Mr. Rene (when he can) be nice enough to post the pictures and such you had for the Odyssey2 Video mod - using a transistor. I should be getting the part soon (company is very slow - as Ted warned me - but I expect the part soon).

Thanks.

Rene_G7400
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:57:33 AM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:35:21 PM by Rene_G7400 » Logged
Rene_G7400

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:06:45 PM »

The text can be found here:
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:LzBF2VUfnzoJ:www.videopac.org/forums/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D7629%26highlight%3D%26sid%3D4c7dc4b873817a0f3c099f3feef61d62+%22Odyssey+2+AV/composite+mod+instrux+wanted%22&hl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=nl
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 05:07:55 PM »

Rene,

Is it possible for you to make a full list of the various mods which are available for the the G700 and G7400 please.

Thanks in advance mon et moi !!

I have 12"
Rene_G7400

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »

That won't be a long list:

G7400:

- composite video A/V output (DIN), includes DIN to RCA cable
- RGB A/V output (DIN), includes DIN to SCART cable
- built-in Voice module (not compatible with SID the Spellbinder)

G7000:

- A/V output, fixed RCA cable

Is it possible for you to make a full list of the various mods which are available for the the G7000 and G7400 please.

Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 08:00:14 PM »

The text can be found here:

Not sure how long that will be there.

Important stuff for myself - from Rene - in regards to the transistor:

I've used a BC547B as you can see, but I think it's a european type. The specs:
- silicium
- NPN
- max collector-emitter voltage: 45 V
- max collector current: 200 mA
- max power: 500 mW
- current amplification: between 240-500
- max frequency: 300 MHz

ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:08:32 PM »

Thanks Rene as always.

I have 12"
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 08:06:04 PM »

Rene,

when I finally get a Voice module hopefully I can send you my 7400 and you can do all the mods for it?

I have 12"
Rene_G7400

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 04:07:28 AM »

Rene,

when I finally get a Voice module hopefully I can send you my 7400 and you can do all the mods for it?

Yes, of course.
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »

Have you tried this mod yet Ozyr?  I'm getting some projects lined up for the long Michigan winter but I'm not sure if I'm capable of this mod yet.  I have never sodered before so I think I'll try some simpler projects and work my way up.  The mod doesn't look that difficult but I don't want to ruin an Odyssey2 because of a beginners mistake. 
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 02:32:28 AM »

To be honest, no I haven't. But, I do have the parts now - too many - I ordered 10 of the transistors, to justify the high shipping cost.

I hope to do this by year end - and will document it picture by picture and post it on my site. (if it works - and it should - its a Ren? approved procedure  Tongue )

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 02:46:37 PM »

If you don't mind, save the parts you over-ordered and I will buy them off you.  Like I mentioned, I won't be doing it anytime soon so maybe I could pick them up at the Mid-West Classic next year.  Just a thought.  I know you will be busy around that time and it will be low on the priority list.  I'm still not 100% sure I can make it to the MWC in 2008 but I'm trying to work it into my schedule.
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:06:28 AM »

Do you have another link for this?

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 02:26:42 PM »

I am pretty sure I saved that page in html when Richard's forum was up, it may take some digging, but I'll try to find it for you. 
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »

Found it!  I believe I only saved the first page because the 2nd didn't have many posts and any useful information on it, just people talking.

agt_dale_
Adept
Adept

Post Odyssey 2 AV/composite mod instrux wanted, please...    Reply with quote
I'm having a bit of a time figuring out what's what here...I'm in the US, and it seems that all information available is for the European model. I've read what I can about this (Ozyr didn't care for it), but I really can't make heads or tails of the actual install.

There is a small collection of pictures on one site (but with no mention of parts needed) and there is a parts list/some photos on another site (but this is dealing with the Euro model...)..

ANY assistance appreciated, I took in two of these units (a first generation and a second generation) over the weekend, and thought I might try the AV mod for lack of the RF switch on the older model. Yes, I understand I can simply replace that cable with one yoinked from an Atari or bought at the store, but I thought it might be nice to try to pimp the thing out a bit. This coupled with Rene's mention of the variable resistor has me wondering whether or not it will fix the 'too dark' issue mentioned by Ozyr (looking for to the site update above!)..

THANKS for any help, MUCH appreciated.
Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:59 pm    View user's profile Send private message
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post    Reply with quote
if your looking for the basic instructions, they are very easy, and all you need is wire (and some RCA jacks - try radio shack). I've done it, and as mentioned, didn't care for it - but feel free to try - it may work good for you. I have not messed with the variable resistor yet - and don't think it will help much, but really don't know yet.
I've been trying to find time to try what Rene recommended (using a transistor), but without a local place that sells anything electronic, it will be difficult.

Here is a link to one site I know of that show how to do the video mod

http://www.lukesandel.com/techgallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=464

Good luck!
Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:33 pm    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rene_G7400
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post    Reply with quote
This is how I've done it: quick, dirty, easy and cheap.

Besides some tools like a screwdriver, a wire cutter and a soldering iron, you only need an A/V cable (with RCA connectors) and one transistor (general-purpose low-power NPN silicium type).

I've removed the RF box, soldered the audio cable directly to the left pin of the connector (bottom view), the collector of the transistor to the middle pin of the connector (+5V), the base of the transistor to the right pin of the connector, and the video cable to the (free) emitter of the transistor.

Btw.: you can find the circuit diagram of the Odyssey2 here:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~mdr.vd.enden/download/serv_schematic1-l.gif
http://home.hetnet.nl/~mdr.vd.enden/download/serv_schematic1-r.gif

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 pm    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
agt_dale_
Adept
Adept

Post    Reply with quote
OK, we should prolly get a sticky on this sort of information, please...THANKS for the info!

Rene, what are the specs on the transistor you used? Got a part number handy that I could cross with something here in the US? [Voltages can vary wildly, and with my luck, I pick something monstrous that would blow up my house if you plugged it in...]

Ozyr, I found Luke's page during my first bits of wanderings, but his wiring to the bottom of the board looked to me like he was shorting across both points, which didn't compute to me [I'm admittedly NO expert in this area, but I try to exercise what seems to me to be common sense...].

I liked Rene's diagram a little better (grounds are clearly visible from the RCA cabling)....but, any difference between QUALITY of video between Luke's C44 grab and Rene's grab from the RF out? What's the purpose of the transistor? Amping the signal? Isn't this and the variable resistor doing the same thing? [I'm gonna put in some time on the specs...opening those GIFs in Photoshop gets them up to a size you can read....]

THANKS for the help in the meantime...we'll get this ironed out and get something stuck so folks can read/mod to their liking...
Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:55 pm    View user's profile Send private message
Rene_G7400
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post    Reply with quote
   agt_dale_ wrote:

Rene, what are the specs on the transistor you used? Got a part number handy that I could cross with something here in the US?

I've used a BC547B as you can see, but I think it's a european type. The specs:
- silicium
- NPN
- max collector-emitter voltage: 45 V
- max collector current: 200 mA
- max power: 500 mW
- current amplification: between 240-500
- max frequency: 300 MHz

agt_dale_ wrote:
   What's the purpose of the transistor? Amping the signal? Isn't this and the variable resistor doing the same thing?

Like Ozyr said: don't expect too much of adjusting the variable resistor. The transistor is used to amplify the output current of the video encoder chip (RGB to NTSC composite video converter). The input impedance (resistance) of a video input of a TV or monitor is 75 Ohm, which is quite low. This means the video encoder has to deliver a relatively high output current, which it is not capable of. The result is that the output voltage will drop, resulting in a dark picture AND a possibly early end of the life of the chip.
Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:54 pm    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post    Reply with quote
Man, that picture is a tad off, but I think I got the meaning of it. Doesn't look too bad, and if I can find that transistor. Finding these things is not easy, when you don't know where to look - I miss the old day when you could by this stuff at Radio Shack.

Rene, if I can get this to work (including finding that part), well... I'm a bit far away for a big hug, but... Wink

I've wanted 'good' video-out for so long, and all that I've found before was that stupid hack mentioned earlier here - which works, but not great. I've got a friend that swears by it, but if I get this working, I'll show him!! Twisted Evil

P.S. To anyone here - I'm going to try my best to try this out and get it working. If I do, I will post instructions on my own site (which anyone can grad and share). Hope Rene doesn't mind - if I get it going. Maybe Ted can help me with finding the part - I know this is the same type of thing he did to video upgrade a Timex/Sinclair 1500!

P.S. I know he's been busy, but I emailed Ted. I'm am going to find that transistor!!!!
Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:50 am    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post    Reply with quote
Okay, Ted has supplied me with two places to get transistors online here in the States. I will look into this later today (it is 4 a.m. now, and I'm damn tired - putting together a club newsletter).

Should get the parts in a few week hopefully. I will post my results! Fingers crossed. Shocked

Update: Parts are ordered! 1 - 2 weeks for shipping - so this won't be done for a bit.
I hope it is worth the wait! Mr. Green
Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:55 am    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rick02
Initiate
Initiate

Post    Reply with quote
   ozyr wrote:
   Okay, Ted has supplied me with two places to get transistors online here in the States.

Can you post the places? I might try this in the future. Thanks!
Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:47 pm    View user's profile Send private message
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post    Reply with quote
Rick, I'll post them when I get the parts and know this will work. Hope that is okay with you.

Personally, I can't wait - 1-2 weeks can be a long time. Funny thing is, the transistors are around 8 cents each - with shipping at $4! Rolling Eyes
Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:56 am    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rick02
Initiate
Initiate

Post    Reply with quote
No problem. It will be months before I have the time to actually do it.
Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:15 pm    View user's profile Send private message
agt_dale_
Adept
Adept

Post    Reply with quote
Alright, I'm lost.
I've tried diligently to follow Luke's work...I stole one of his pictures and drew on it with PS. Established a PhotoBucket account so I could share findings, LMK if links don't work...

Audio hookups: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa69/agt_dale_/IMG_3412Audio.jpg
Video hookups: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa69/agt_dale_/IMG_3412Video.jpg

Audio hookups: Black combo produced buzzing noise. Discarded in favor of red combo, as the positive point is AFTER the resistor on the board. Note that positive point of red combo (ground is point that has multiple colored circles around it, of course) links directly to where Rene picks up audio with his transistor method. Red combo / Rene's method each worked fine for me.

Video hookups: Can't get ANY of these to function properly, including Rene's transistor mod (discussed later). Blue combo does not produce usable signal (Note that positive point of blue combo (ground is point that has multiple colored circles around it, of course) links directly to where Rene picks up video with his transistor method.). Red AND black combos produce BEAUTIFUL signal WITHOUT transistor for like 5-10 seconds, then begin flickering blue. Video signal is still present, but has flickering blue / rolling blue lines. It is my opinion that black/red combo SHOULD WORK, and further should avoid need for transistor method, as each positive point is BEFORE the resistor on the board. RED combo is functionally similar to audio red combo, and should then work. Luke apparently got this to work, but his commentary on what's what is a bit lacking. [Again, it appears to me he's shorting points together, which I don't understand...]

Neither black combo or red combo worked to my satisfaction, so I moved on to Rene's transistor method.
NTE (www.nteinc.com) indicates that their NTE123AP is an appropriate cross for Rene's BC547B. Picked one up at Fry's here in San Diego, their PN 1799095. Hooked (what I believed to be the) emitter to video wire attached to RCA jack, base to "right pin of the connector" (I actually unhooked the RF box, removed it completely, soldered the transistor on the exposed pins where the RF connector used to be...little cleaner install if you're actually removing the RF box...Rene's install works when you're leaving the RF box in place...), and collector to "middle pin of the connector (+5V)". After hooking this up in what I BELIEVED to be the correct manner, I got nothing but audio.
Check my transistor diagram here: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa69/agt_dale_/AndysInformationSocietyTransistorNT.jpg

Looking at this diagram, is it the FRONT (rounded) of the transistor, or the REAR (flat)? In installing this, I assumed it was the REAR and soldered accordingly. I have yet to test reversing the connections, but I thought might ask first...I ain't the electronics guru, seems as if that task falls to Rene....heh. What do the lines at left and right mean? Is this supposed to simulate the rounded front?

[Here's hoping I just made a million dollars with the cover/name of the next IS album....drawn in Photoshop with the rectangle tool, thought the IS logo would be perfect in the middle...heh]
Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:28 am    View user's profile Send private message
Rene_G7400
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post    Reply with quote
   agt_dale_ wrote:

Looking at this diagram, is it the FRONT (rounded) of the transistor, or the REAR (flat)? In installing this, I assumed it was the REAR and soldered accordingly. I have yet to test reversing the connections, but I thought might ask first...I ain't the electronics guru, seems as if that task falls to Rene....heh. What do the lines at left and right mean? Is this supposed to simulate the rounded front?

Normally the flat side of the transistor is the front, and the picture on the datasheet should be showing the transistor from the front (flat) side.

(I suppose you mean this datasheet: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte123ap.pdf )
Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:31 am    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
agt_dale_
Adept
Adept

Post    Reply with quote
Success!

My earlier commentary mentioning failure of Rene's method was apparently due to some CRAPPY soldering on my part...imagine that. Xbox? No problem. Wii? No problem. Odyssey 2? Pain in my ass. HA!

NTE123AP confirmed as working cross for Rene's BC547B. For those of you near a Fry's Electronics, their sku 1799095, $1.99. [Buy the RCA jack block while you're there, Radio S___ doesn't have s___ anymore...]

Video out and audio out confirmed working and video is BEAUTIFUL compared to RF out. If you do not get video out using Rene's method, CHECK ALL SOLDERING CONNECTIONS.

Still not sure what to make of Luke's 'method', I couldn't get it to work in STABLE manner. I'd actually prefer to use Luke's method, but it was not meant to be....BETTER INSTRUCTIONS are always helpful. If anyone does get this to work, please post DETAILED methodology and findings (as I tried to, at least..) for the group.

Now, for my next trick, I'm off to take apart the joysticks (UFO and Freedom Fighters aren't much fun when the stick doesn't work well!)...I see that O3 has covered this in depth, I'll suggest stickies for both that topic and this one....

THANKS to everybody for commentary and assistance!!!!!!
Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:37 pm    View user's profile Send private message
agt_dale_
Adept
Adept

Post    Reply with quote
Alright, finally got this wrapped up....
1) Removed RF module entirely...
2) Removed jack on motherboard that RF module hooks into...
3) Soldered transistor and audio leads into the holes left behind after 2)..(left transistor leg exposed, bent parallel to board)
4) Cut leads off yellow/white AV cable, soldered them into place..
5) Ran cable out through orifice where RF cable was....even used loop lock (previously used by RF cable) to prevent cables from being yanked out the back...

Picture is beautiful compared to RF out, highly recommended!
Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm    View user's profile Send private message
Rene_G7400
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post    Reply with quote
I'm glad it works!

Ozyr, now it's your turn to do this!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: