Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 25, 2017, 03:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Order now: STRIKEFORCE by Revival Studios!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Poll
Question: What to do with the homebrew release list?  (Voting closed: May 17, 2013, 10:48:47 PM)
Let it stay as exactly as it is. - 2 (11.1%)
Let it stay as exactly as it is but the moderator should be a none-game-releasing-person. - 9 (50%)
Drop the list, freedom for all! - 7 (38.9%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrews and all their nasty side-effects.  (Read 3743 times)
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »

Hello my dear friends...

As I was afraid, some people's remarks concerning other peoples releases have stirred things up a bit. This kind of event has happened a couple of times before in the forum and I must say I find them rather annoying.

People start adressing me to what I should or should not do, on the forum or through PM and that also is becomming rather tiresome to me.

I consider this forum as a forum for a very small community where some people release games to make others happy. Apparantly this whole releasing business can become rather personal for some and that kind of deletes the whole fun part.

The homebrew-releaselist has been a topic of not to happy conversations and I think we should end this now in a democratic way.

As you can see above I have started a poll. The poll will stay open for four days. After that outcome is final.

Furthermore: use this topic, and only this one, to vent your frustrations. Don't start calling names! If complaints or remarks on quality, date, price or anything else concerning gamereleases pop up in any other topic, it will be deleted without notice.

I don't feel like having to play a police officer here, we are all grownups.

Let's play the games from the eighties but let's not behave like we did in the eighties.

Your administrator!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:14:29 PM by Janzl » Logged

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
mjb
Freedom Fighter

Another Year More Videopac To Colllect

mark.bodiella BarmyfishUK
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »

Hi Janzl

Just voted for - Let it stay as exactly as it is but the moderator should be a none-game-releasing-person.

The release list is a good idea,for the people who don't release games they can plan their purchases and not have 3 or 4 games released at once,for the people who do release they can plan their releases so they don't clash.

So as a person who buys all the releases and as someone who will not be releasing anything (no time to do it and not tech savvy at all). If you and the forum decide to want a mod to be a none-game-releasing-person, I'm offering to take it on as long as we decide on some ground rules.

Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »

So as a person who buys all the releases and as someone who will not be releasing anything (no time to do it and not tech savvy at all). If you and the forum decide to want a mod to be a none-game-releasing-person, I'm offering to take it on as long as we decide on some ground rules.

Thanks mjb, we'll see what the future is going to bring us! Smiley

TedFoolery
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, so forgive me if I'm redundant or stating the obvious.

From my understanding, the release list was put in to place to help collectors who may miss out on limited run releases. Sure, when 3 games come out at the same time and they are going fast, a collector might have to spend a rather large chuck of cash in a short time to get them.

But, there are suppliers that build carts to order, so there is no urgency to buy a cart in a short time span. The collector can easily just wait until whenever they get the spare cash to make the purchase. I think these non-limited releases should be exempt from the list.
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, so forgive me if I'm redundant or stating the obvious.

From my understanding, the release list was put in to place to help collectors who may miss out on limited run releases.

That is one of its purposes. The other is to avoid to many people releasing a game in a short time.

Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »

This community is to small to fight. Please be patient, rethink twice before you post, and then reread what you have typed before posting.
Trouble with any written comment is it can be interpreted false, and it's a bit non personal.  I mean, would you say the same thing you write, if the person was standing in front of you? Bet not.
Peace to all. If you need to fight, get your videopac, plug in you're gunfighter cartridge and invited the other. (A videopac with a internet connection would be nice, so one can play 2 player games online).

8 bits of fun
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »

I think the release list is a good idea in order to not have big financial outlays all in one go.

But I also think that if I wrote a game, then it would be up to me when to release it. I've not followed it closely, but clearly some have been delayed by others missing scheduled release dates.

For that reason, I've had to pick the option to drop the list. However, I do think there could be other options that might also work, as well as Teds of course.

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Rene_G7400

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »

I think the release list could be a good idea. But you can not predict the future, there can always be reasons why a certain release gets delayed. But a delayed release should never be the reason for anyone else to delay his release too. If that second person is able to do his release on the planned date, he should do so, even if it is then released in the same month as the delayed release.

An option could be that if a release gets delayed, that person should wait with his release until the next "free" month, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Or he should negotiate with the other game producers about who will do his release first.

Of course the release list doesn't have much value if a lot of releases get delayed.

I think it doesn't matter much who edits the list. That doesn't seem to be the main issue in this discussion. (Please let me know if I'm wrong about that.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:19:30 PM by Rene_G7400 » Logged
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 03:36:16 AM »

Would be sad to see the list go, but if it stays, it needs a neutral person to do it. The list is to help producers and buyers, not one producer above others.

revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

Would be sad to see the list go, but if it stays, it needs a neutral person to do it. The list is to help producers and buyers, not one producer above others.
I agree with Ozyr. Releasewise it will probably always be and stay free-for-all , but a release list by someone outside development community could be benifitial for buyers.

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
Rafael

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »

get your videopac, plug in you're gunfighter cartridge and invited the other. (A videopac with a internet connection would be nice, so one can play 2 player games online).

I loved that Smiley
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »

From my understanding, the release list was put in to place to help collectors who may miss out on limited run releases. Sure, when 3 games come out at the same time and they are going fast, a collector might have to spend a rather large chuck of cash in a short time to get them.

But, there are suppliers that build carts to order, so there is no urgency to buy a cart in a short time span. The collector can easily just wait until whenever they get the spare cash to make the purchase. I think these non-limited releases should be exempt from the list.

Just an FYI - IMHO both limited and regular should be listed (all basically). They both can spend large amounts of money in a short time (I know from experience as I have spent a lot so far, and not released a game at this point).

As for the list, it was really created for collectors and producers, to kept track of all the releases due the amount of them coming out in the past two or so years.

So for not putting non-limited releases on this list, it would do a disservice to me and John D only (as everyone else does limited releases). Why punish me or John in that way would be my question, as my future releases would not be listed here then? JMHO

mjb
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »

Just an FYI - IMHO both limited and regular should be listed (all basically). They both can spend large amounts of money in a short time (I know from experience as I have spent a lot so far, and not released a game at this point).

As for the list, it was really created for collectors and producers, to kept track of all the releases due the amount of them coming out in the past two or so years.

So for not putting non-limited releases on this list, it would do a disservice to me and John D only (as everyone else does limited releases). Why punish me or John in that way would be my question, as my future releases would not be listed here then? JMHO

IMO all releases should be on the list.It's easily done

August 2013 -      Revival Studios - Down!   Limited cart release
September 2013 - Packrat release              Non-Limited Cart release

then when more details are known

August 2013 -      Revival Studios - Down!   100 cart release
September 2013 - Packrat release              Non-Limited Cart release

I'm taking the fact that Revival Studio always release 100 carts,I have no knowledge of the release yet.

In future years you can put a couple of lines at the bottom of the post saying "Non limited release games still available -- Amok,233 in 1 cart,Pong,Calculator etc etc.

Also Spiderman 2nd Edition would be included with Packrat and John D games in being a Non Limited release 

Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »

Put any release on the list. Use it as a reference, not as a rule. If someone has created a nice game and really wants to release it, he shouldn't have to wait a couple of months because the list tells him so.
The list should be used to make everybody able to see what has been or will be released and what is still available or is sold out. Looks simple enough to me.

Don't let this thing get into the "HEIL LIST!" zone or I will create a seperate board for all the Chuch-of-List religeous fanatics.

mjb
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »

Completely agree.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: