Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 26, 2020, 09:07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brix  (Read 28945 times)
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »

I made the trees look better. This took at least 4 hours to do. I still don't understand what I'm doing, but here it is. Let me know if you see any bugs.

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »

Found out that there's still occasional flicker for no apparent reason other than the Odyssey 2 hates me. Here is a version, one day I hope to get rid of the stupid flickering. My highest score by the way is 325. The fastest speed comes at the 250 mark.

Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2014, 11:41:16 PM »

I think I figured out the reason why it flickered and ended it. I still don't know why it did, though, me not understanding the technical side of the Odyssey 2. Anyway, see if you can find a reindeer flicker or other bugs in this version.

Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2014, 01:39:07 AM »

I sugeste dpines for plus  gfx. The mockup you done have many few objects,  just like it donīt have plus graphics some examples on ice you can check ice level on KTAA or Route66, the concept is simple, but repeating  drawing you can fill your screen.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2014, 01:47:30 AM »

Maybe you can fill your screen with Xmas related things like xmas gift packs, xmas tree balls (not sure how you call it there), star...
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2014, 02:12:08 AM »

I sugeste dpines for plus  gfx. The mockup you done have many few objects,  just like it donīt have plus graphics some examples on ice you can check ice level on KTAA or Route66, the concept is simple, but repeating  drawing you can fill your screen.
Yeah, I know, but I thought it looked kind of bland for those who wouldn't have + graphics (like myself.) I checked out some other plus graphics games, and I'm wondering how much of the program they take up. Right now, I have about 100 bytes free if I want to keep it at 2k. Of course, I can bump it up to 4k if necessary if needed to have + graphics. I guess the main problem is I don't know how to bankswitch. Or figure out what to put in the other 2k bank so it will play good. But I don't think I will need 4k for this game.

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »

Yeah, I know, but I thought it looked kind of bland for those who wouldn't have + graphics (like myself.) I checked out some other plus graphics games, and I'm wondering how much of the program they take up. Right now, I have about 100 bytes free if I want to keep it at 2k. Of course, I can bump it up to 4k if necessary if needed to have + graphics. I guess the main problem is I don't know how to bankswitch. Or figure out what to put in the other 2k bank so it will play good. But I don't think I will need 4k for this game.

Itīs depend what you want for your game. I think one most important thing in a game are the sounds. Early O2 games was almost silent or it had some annoying sound. Usually the player fails to note the importance of a sound in the game (unless it is troubling), but try to imagine "Turtles" or "Killer Bees" silent or using default sounds? Sometimes a single sound can make a huge difference, I think it can add more value than plus gfx. So I think it's worth to expand the game for adding sounds, or maybe a "The Voice" music. There 's a lot of  Xmas themes that you can use freely. Just adjust the possibilities to your skills. Anyway, the biggest problem I seeing here (I wrote it before) is that sometimes (many times) the player needs to wait a long time to make a move, or gets trapped. Considering you just have 4 free chars, why not to try to make the game using a line with 1 block and other with 2 (like the image). I think it will make the game more dinamic and pleasurable.
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »

Two big things about programming in a second block.
#1 - I don't know how I would go about doing this, and even if I did...
#2 - Space is limited. I only have about 100 bytes left last time I checked. So I just thought it would be good to use the 4 extra characters I had as trees. I tried to make the elf's movements more random, and they appear to be more random than they were before.

Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:38 AM »

OK, my program was misbehaving. I was telling it to pick a number between 0 and 7. And the last entry for the 8th number was putting the elf on the second to bottom row. That's why he was ending up there so often. So then I tell the program to pick a number from 0 to 7 and if it didn't, then blank out the elf and try again picking a number between 0 and 7 on the next screen cycle. This results in a sort of very short delay between elves sometimes, as it isn't picking a number between 0 and 7, even though I tell it to. Wouldn't this code pick a number between 0 and 7? Or perhaps there is something else wrong with the code?
Code:
mov r0,#elftimer
mov a,t
anl a,#007h
movx @r0,a
(lines 1511-1515.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:58:52 AM by Chris! » Logged

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »

I had played v. 24a, last night I a really liked how the game work on this. The random is good and the best on it, unlike the previous versions, when the Elf appears sundelly ahead of the player seems you ever have a chance to escape. My hiscore is 275. Whatīs new on this version 25 Huh?
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »

Code:
mov r0,#elftimer
mov a,t
anl a,#007h
movx @r0,a

If #elftimer is a place in 'intram', you should use MOV instead of MOVX.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2014, 06:01:19 PM »

I just hurt my ass (on PC keyboard suport)  when I was copying Nice Ice to C7050 Angry

Anyway, I really think the game is enjoyable now, good work Wink. Anyway I have 3 working Odys and I already same problem here. In one of these console the score is just partially visible, I not sure if others user could have the same problem, but I sugest you to up the score (maybe 4 pixels can be enough)
In time: I get 500 points.
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »

New version. I fixed the thing Rene pointed out, and I added a sound for once you get down to the bottom (on previous versions, it was silent.) Let me know if you spot anything suspicious. I did, when I got down to the bottom and started my way up again and died, the red numbers of the score disappeared. But that only happened once and I was unable to reproduce it, so I think it's just my Odyssey 2 acting weird. It does that sometimes. Like when I'm in the middle of playing a game, the game disappears and I have to wiggle the cord that is hardwired in the console to get the image back. So I'm thinking that was just me. But let me know anyway.

Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »

As it turned out, I had to remove the noise for scoring down at the bottom. Weird...

Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:34 AM »

So about the + graphics again, would this be possible?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: