Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 10, 2019, 08:09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powering on a g7400 without cart.  (Read 1581 times)
Alessandro
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: December 05, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »

I got a broken videopac g7400 as part of a lot of old stuff. The console was missing the power switch and some of the wires connecting the power supply and the rf modulator to the main board were broken. Someone tried to solder them back in place with very bad results.
I connected the power cable directly to the power supply and fixed the solder job. If I power on the console without cart I get a stable black screen on channel 34 (I'm from Italy and I have a PAL B/G TV set).
Since I don't have any cart I'd like to know if this is the expected behaviour before buying some games to further test the console. Thanks!
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »

Since I don't have any cart I'd like to know if this is the expected behaviour.

Not really, usually you get some garbage on the screen like on the picture in the first post of this topic:
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=522.0
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »

Without cartridge in your system, you must have a screen like this

Videopac digger
Alessandro

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »

Thank you both for the answers!
There was another videopac included in the lot, a french model with rgb output that other than the same problems as the PAL unit (no power switch, broken wires from power supply and secam rf board) also had most of the ICs missing from the main board. So I'll try to swap the ICs from the PAL console and I'll build the rgb cable and see if I have more luck with it.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

It would be a good idea to find a cheap Videopac cartridge to test your console.
Alessandro

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »

Of course, but the cheapest game (including shipping to Italy) at the moment is about 7 EUR on ebay. It is likely that the console is dead so I want to search locally first and in the meantime I can do more tests.

Maybe I'll add a post in the "Wanted lists" section for some games. Since common games shells are used to build homebrew carts, maybe someone could sell me some of the old boards for cheap. Grin
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »

Since common games shells are used to build homebrew carts, maybe someone could sell me some of the old boards for cheap. Grin

Yes, I've got plenty of old boards. You can have some of them for just the shipping costs. Shipping them as a regular letter is cheap. (1.92 Euro up to 50 gram, 2.88 Euro up to 100 gram.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: