Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
November 12, 2019, 11:22:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Odyssey2 emulator: Homer!  (Read 10032 times)
manskirtbrew
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 02:02:06 AM »

Oh you're giving it a whole path? The idea is the roms go in Homer\roms, then you run it just by specifying the name of the rom (like o2em does)

So you'd put niceice26.bin inside C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Homer_0.3\Homer\roms, then run:

C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Homer_0.3\Homer> Homer niceice26.bin

Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 02:12:22 AM »

OK, I moved it into the C:\ folder, and used DosBox because I can't find the DOS on my computer anywhere, and it gives me a message saying "this program cannot be run in DOS mode."

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 02:25:54 AM »

OK, I finally got Homer to run! I made a batch file since Windows 7 is too stupid and hides the DOS prompt for me. It's a great emulator, but it does have a slight screen problem (or maybe it's just me): there's too much space at the right hand side. I'm used to seeing the tree in niceice26.bin be centered between the edge of the pool and the right side of the screen. I guess it's because I'm playing my Odyssey 2 on a CRT that's 4:3 and not 16:9? Also, 2 should be down, not 5. On my keyboard, there's a down arrow on the 2 key. I kept pressing 2 to go down and nothing happened. So I had to look at the readme and found out that 5 is down.

manskirtbrew

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 02:34:27 AM »

Thanks Chris, that's all great feedback. The keys will be customizable and it will have a real GUI at some point. For now, I appreciate you working around the restrictions and trying it out for me.
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 02:35:59 AM »

Another little thing I noticed. In this game, sprite 0 is Santa and Sprite 2 is the reindeer. Notice what happens once Santa hits the reindeer in the two emulators. On hardware, Santa goes ahead of the reindeer.
EDIT: OOps. I meant to say O2EM. OdyEmu is the Odyssey 1 emulator!

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »

The idea is the roms go in Homer\roms, then you run it just by specifying the name of the rom (like o2em does)

well - current versions of o2em allow both ;-) (and look first for the file in absolute/current path, then in roms directory ...)

sex, lies, and videopac
manskirtbrew

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »

Interesting. I guess the sprites are emitted in reverse order.

As for the screen width, I did notice that my screen seemed too wide. However, looking at the docs I have, it seems sprites can be emitted up to X-position 181. From Kevin Horton's research on timing:

Sprites were reset to X coords B8, B6, B4, B2.

Sprites 2 and 3 emitted pixels this time, so the maximum X coord is greater than B4, but less than B6.

That also coincides with the time HBLANK starts, at half-cycle 365. So my screen width is set to 182.

Is there a more correct screen width documented somewhere?
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »

It depends on your TV, but usually objects beyond Xpos= 168 are not visible anymore.
manskirtbrew

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »

It depends on your TV, but usually objects beyond Xpos= 168 are not visible anymore.
Ah, okay. So the 8244 emits a pixel, but the TV can't necessarily display it. Great, thanks!
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 05:59:34 AM »

Apparently O2EM throws a fit while playing Computer Golf! I don't know why but it likes to shoot shots without you pressing fire. In Homer, though, there's no problem with this and it plays perfectly, once you get the sprite order reversed.

manskirtbrew

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »

I've attached Homer 0.4 to the first post in the thread. It should address all the issues you guys found, plus add a few new features.

Soon to come: a real GUI, saving settings/window sizes, control customization.
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »

I don't see version 0.4 to download anywhere.

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »

just click on the link in manskirtbrew's post ... it's attached at the end of the first message ...

sex, lies, and videopac
manskirtbrew

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »

just click on the link in manskirtbrew's post ... it's attached at the end of the first message ...
Yup. I figured attaching it to the first post would be easier, then it's archived with the board, too.

Also, there's a small bug that if you just run Homer.exe and get the black console window, after you choose a game you have to click in the game window with your mouse to play. Sorry about that.
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »

OK, I just ran Nice Ice again and this time I got this:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: