Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
June 24, 2019, 04:05:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wongojack's Introduction  (Read 4550 times)
wongojack
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: March 20, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »

I just got an O2 from a user on the AtariAge forums that has been modded up for me.  I also got the Flashcart from Don and pre-ordered Wildlife (cause I like Pitfall).  I'm excited about discovering the O2 community and pleased that it seems very strong in Europe.  I'm in Texas, but I actually lived in France for about 3 years and enjoy interacting with fellow hobbyists from around the world.  What follows is a brief introduction of my gaming history and interests.

I had an older brother and I would play 2600 games with him and his best friend. The friend had a way to pirate 2600 games that I still don't understand, but as a result, I got my first experience with classics like Space Invaders, Pac Man, Asteroids and Missile Command on the 2600.

Since I was just as vulnerable as any 5-7 year old to the Chuck-E-Cheese phenomenon, I got sucked into the arcade as soon as I could reach the controls. Glowing, hypnotic images of Dirk the Daring later brought me back into the arcades of Virginia Beach's malls when the newest game was a whopping 75 cents and my parents usually refused to pay.

I whiled away the desperate months after the video game crash with my C64 which was the first computer that I (eventually) had in my own room. Years passed, and I only had inklings through friends of how great the mythical Amiga was. . . I did opt for a NES eventually, but as I got older and was distracted with things like basketball practice, school plays, and AP government tests, I found myself going back to the great games of the 64 - It was still hooked up when I left for college.

I took a break from gaming and was brought back to it (again by my brother) with the advent of 3d exploration and the pointy boobs of Lara Croft. The 'Playstation Era' lasted quite a long time for me and everything after that is not really retro gaming IMO.

A couple years ago, I bought a GP2x Wiz from "ThinkGeek" and dug into the forums on GP32x.com. The Wiz reinvigorated my love for classic gaming and sent me on a path of recent collecting that includes a modded Coleco, 2 port 5200, a Sears branded Intellivision, and an Odyssey 2. I'm also a proud owner of the Harmony cart, the 2 Atarimax Ultimate flashcarts, the Ultimate PC interface for Intellivision, and the Odyseey 2 233 in 1 flashcart.

I'll add a personal top games list here as that seems like a good way to get some rep. These are not in order but are listed chronologically. There is only one 2600 game on the list, but I really learned to play video games on the VCS. I can remember reading and studying the manual for Combat, Space Invaders, and Soccer (6 year olds like fireworks), choosing the various game options and starting to control my own gaming experience. I've really never looked back ever since.

Pitfall 2600
Pirates! C64
Superstar Ice Hockey C64
The Legend of Zelda NES
Wing Commander PC
Tomb Raider PS1
Resident Evil PS1
Madden NFL 200x PS1
God of War PS2
Mass Effect 360
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »

Hi Wongojack and welcome to the O2/Vpac forums.
Thats quite the introduction and I enjoyed reading it.

I am unfamiliar with the "Flashcart by Don" could you elaborate a bit more about that?

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
wongojack

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:42:05 PM »

Hi Wongojack and welcome to the O2/Vpac forums.
Thats quite the introduction and I enjoyed reading it.

I am unfamiliar with the "Flashcart by Don" could you elaborate a bit more about that?

Whoops!  That should say "Flashcart by John," and what I meant was the 233 in 1 Multicart found here:  http://classicgamecreations.com/multicart.html

I tried to edit my post, but it seems that didn't work.
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:45:31 PM »

Welcome here !  Smiley

Where do you live in France? Paris?

Videopac digger
wongojack

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »

Welcome here !  Smiley

Where do you live in France? Paris?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I left France in 2003 and have only visited one time since then.  I lived in 2 different suburban towns outside Paris:  Nanterre and Plaisir.  Nanterre is very close to La Defense and Plaisir is out Ouest near Versailles

I have been to Belgium a couple of times, but would like to go back.  I have some friends who are very fond of brewing their own beer and Belgian style beer is extremely popular among American craft brewers and home brewers.  I may have to take a "Beercation" to Belgium in the near future.
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »

Welcome to the Videopac/O2 forum.

I hope, you will have much fun with your O2. O2 has many, many amazing games. Like KC Munchkin, Killer Bees, Attack of the Timelord, UFO, PickAxePete.... has I told you, that we have many many wonderful games, and all this without atari-flicker  Huh?  Cheesy

Also great that you pre-ordered WILDLIFE! We all canŽt wait to play it. The new masterwork from Rafael. You will find our friend from Brazil also here in the forum.

Have a good time here  Wink

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Define
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »

Welcome from Holland!
Great story i went through the whole C64 fase too as a kid/youngster, i almost got mad when my parents bought me a 1541C diskdrive hahaha

Videopac 4 life
Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »

Welcome Wongojack!
Thanks by order Wildlife, I hope you have fun.
Here youŽll find real nice people.
Nognir
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »

Also welcome from me Wongojack!

I also saw in the C64 RPG Thread over there in AA that we nearly had the same favorites back in the day.
Great to have some more users here in the forums Smiley

Real games need only one button
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: