Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
October 01, 2020, 07:18:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Puzzle Piece Panic questions  (Read 1384 times)
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: May 17, 2014, 11:01:43 PM »

I just got PPP in the mail today and all I can say is, well, I'm speechless. I do have a few questions as to how Ted made this thing. First off, what are the blocks composed of? Are they characters? That's all I can figure? Or are they something else? Second, the game over music. I had no idea that there was a cymbal noise built into the Odyssey 2. The only flaws I can think of is that it's too hard to slide pieces under other ones and that it doesn't use the Voice module. Other than that, it's really great.

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:13 AM »

I agree that this game is fantastic!  It is easily one of my favorite games.  The only issue is sometimes I get the SELECT GAME screen when I pop it in the console, then after it warms up and several restarts of the Odyssey 2 the Puzzle Piece Panic screen comes up and then I can play.
TedFoolery
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »

Chris,
the game area (the boundary and the blocks) are all sprites. It's three sprites wide and repeated like 5 or 6 times down.
Timing is critical, but the way it works is when it starts to draw row 2 of the sprites to the screen, it then rewrites the data for row 1. When it draws row 3, it rewrites row 2, etc. Then, when it finishes row 8, it quickly rewrites the Y position and moves the sprites down.

Basically, I was able to turn the sprites into a very low-res bit-map grid. It's very limited though. No characters or sprites can be displayed to the right of the play area, and it's a monochrome grid.

The 'cymbal' noise is supposed to be a snare drum, and that is really just the explosion sound that fades quickly.

I never had a problem with the sliding of pieces under others -- maybe rotating and sliding at the same time may be tricky.

Also, I wouldn't characterize the no Voice support as a flaw, but to each their own Smiley

Sweerza, that sounds more like a manufacturing issue to me, or maybe a solder joint has loosened over time. Could also make sure the cartridge connector edge is clean. Had a similar issue when building Soeren's RamCart -- a bad solder joint caused it start in the wrong bank. I would have to put pressure on one of the chips to make the connection work.
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »

Well, it's easy to slide pieces under when the game first gets going, but when it gets to like level 6 or 7 it seems almost impossible. Thanks for explaining how the game works. I don't think I could program something that great if I lived to be 100.

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:36:28 AM »

Sweerza, that sounds more like a manufacturing issue to me, or maybe a solder joint has loosened over time. Could also make sure the cartridge connector edge is clean. Had a similar issue when building Soeren's RamCart -- a bad solder joint caused it start in the wrong bank. I would have to put pressure on one of the chips to make the connection work.

That makes sense, thank you.  I just got back from playing it and it does seem like it's a bad solder joint.  If I even move the cart a little when it is working, the game freezes or doesn't work. (I realize most O2 carts do this, but this one only needs to be moved a hair)  If I put it in just right, it works fine.  The contacts all look good and I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol just to be certain they were not dirty.

It's not a real issue, as it doesn't take me more than a minute to find the sweet spot to get it to work.  If it ever becomes a problem, I can always peel the label back, disassemble the cart, and clean and/or re-solder the components.

Thank you for creating one of my favorite Odyssey 2 games.  I have easily spent hours on it.  The music is also great.  I swear sometimes I hear a song I never heard come from that cart every once in a while!
daddy_scott
Freedom Fighter

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:01:42 AM »

Likewise, it is one of my favorite O2 games as well.  Always loved Tetris on my GameBoy and was terribly excited to see a version for my O2 when I began collecting a few years ago.  I could easily play it for hours. 

But I can't until we get moved and I unpack everything.   Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: