Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
August 10, 2020, 05:03:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Euro games so much more than North American?  (Read 5515 times)
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« on: June 01, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »

I have a question: why is there such a disparity in pricing for new games?

Videopac digger
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

This is true, but has been the case for new games for a while. You'd have to ask the producers (and I've never liked this myself). And honestly, it is not the same as the question posted her regarding o2/VP games. Totally different ball of Wax.

JMHO

P.S. Maybe change the title to 'Why are Major Label Games....', as that is more fitting.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:19:11 PM by Ozyr » Logged

Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »

Ironic how there is a similar thread but for homebrew O2 games going on at the same time. Cheesy
VideopacBelgium

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »

LoL  Smiley

Videopac digger
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »

Sadly this isn't limited to software sales only.
Look at apple. A macbook air costs 899$(658,99) the same one costs 929 (1267,34$) almost 300 euro for the same system.
Also look at software prices between physical and download. Very often the download price is more then a physical copy.

8 bits of fun
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »

Yep,

For example, Americans can get a Playstation 4 for 270 euro -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PlayStation-4-Console/201094385441
while we pay 400 euros, that is if you can get one...  The system has been constantly sold out since launch here and order cues are running till august at least :-(

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:16:35 AM »

Question would be, how much do companies have to pay for import taxes on electronic game and equipment (or at least one of the questions)?

LS650
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 07:33:09 AM »

So...  anyone know why?
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »

So...  anyone know why?
I only know of gbp vs euro that on average the brits make a bit more money so their costs of living rises equally (at least this is what i've heard from a bunch of dutch friends of mine that have worked in the UK for years). As far as i am aware this is not the case for the US where i think europeans and americans earn about the same on average???

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
LS650
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »

I think the US is kind of odd when it comes to income stats.  The average income is about $50,000 US per year.  That seems like a decent income, but wages are very disparate in the US; you get a relatively small number of people who make enormous salaries, a shrinking number in the middle class who make a decent income, and a very large number of folks who make quite a low income - say only $20,000 or $30,000 working low income jobs.  Prices are lower in the US because most folks really can't afford to pay more.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 01:46:28 AM »

I think the US is kind of odd when it comes to income stats.  The average income is about $50,000 US per year.  That seems like a decent income, but wages are very disparate in the US; you get a relatively small number of people who make enormous salaries, a shrinking number in the middle class who make a decent income, and a very large number of folks who make quite a low income - say only $20,000 or $30,000 working low income jobs.  Prices are lower in the US because most folks really can't afford to pay more.

Incomes vary by state here too.  In my area, $30,000 before taxes is not bad for a single person.

It's a shame the middle class is shrinking. Sad  Hopefully things work out for everyone.
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

Yes, middle class is shrinking, and it sucks.

Back on topic though, I don't think you'll ever get a real answer to modern game prices. Lots of factors, different income, taxes, etc. Just how it is, and even though I'm not in Europe I think it stinks!

Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 05:40:48 AM »

Lots of factors, different income, taxes, etc. Just how it is, and even though I'm not in Europe I think it stinks!

I guess it can go both ways.  Some things that are commonly available in Europe are rare and expensive in the US.  That's when having friends overseas comes in handy for trading. Smiley  Everyone wins in some cases.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: