Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
November 16, 2018, 02:53:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collection Tracking Software  (Read 2867 times)
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: June 28, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »

So ... I am not sure if we had a topic like this before (if yes - please anyone just move my comment to that thread and delete this one)

What is everyone using to track their collection? Until now I was using an Excel Spreadsheet, but it keeps getting more difficult to actually tracking all the variations etc. in the list, plus I would want to add images of the items in my possession, so I can judge the condition if I find one that might be better ... (ideally on the go at a retrofair or something)

anyone got any suggestions what to use? been trying gamecollectorz.com, but that things major problem is the import functionality - it's not possible to import more than Gamename and Platform (and UPC) - I'd hate to loose all the content of my spreadsheet ... (almost 3000 entries by now)

sex, lies, and videopac
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »

I did a review on gamecollector software, since that's what i use. Must say the program has improved a lot over the years. Sadly the review is in Dutch. http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2048.0

An alternative could be extreme games manager http://www.binaryworks.it/extremegamesmanager/

8 bits of fun
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »

I am still using a spreadsheet (since the 1990s) with almost 4000 entries (I don't own all of them).

Regarding the condition of items: I have an own "comments" column where I enter the condition of the box (and other important comments), from 1 (perfect), 1-, 1-2, 2+, 2, 2- ... up to 5 (destroyed). If the box has at least condition 2, it stays in my collection, if it's 2- or worse, I know that I must look for a better one.

Still works for me.

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »

I did a review on gamecollector software, since that's what i use. Must say the program has improved a lot over the years. Sadly the review is in Dutch. http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2048.0

An alternative could be extreme games manager http://www.binaryworks.it/extremegamesmanager/

I've taken a closer look at both, and like I said - my biggest problem with gamecollector is that it does not allow import of any fields other than title, platform and UPC ... which means I have to manually reinput all the data from my spreadsheet ... on the plus side, it allows me to redefine the fieldnames and lists, so I can implement some of the fields not included ... unfortunately you can't hide the fields in the input form, that are not needed ... I also tinkered with the XLS templates to display the information, so I was able to adapt it to look the way I want - if only they had XLS templates for the lists as well ;-)

extremegamesmanager is basically a cheaper knock-off version of gamescollector that features better import through XML (especially exports from gamescollector ...), but missing all the features I listed as "plus side" above ...

I am seriously considering writing my own software, but I really don't have the time for that ...

@Dieter: I know, it worked for me unitl now and it probably would be best to stick to the spreadsheet I've been using for 10+ years, but I really would prefer something were I can quickly look at the items without getting them out of storage ... thus the necessity to include images ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »

Indeed extreme gamemanager is a knock off. Tried it because i wasn't happy with the way collectorz.com handled request to add to there software that where trival for me. Like screenshots. They fixed a lot of this since then. In the latest pro version you can also create you're own fields.
It surely takes a lot of work to input games. I alway add info manually. Don't care to include stuff like programmers and so.
Here is a view of how a screen would look like.

8 bits of fun
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »

I am currently evaluating version Cobalt 3.4 - are there any improvements in 5.3 that are worth upgrading? in 3.4 (as in previous versions) I can rename existing fields - in 5.3 can I add new fields?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:28:25 PM by manopac » Logged

sex, lies, and videopac
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »

You can add a lot of custom items. Text field, checkboxes, selectable lists,dates, numbers. And custom names for every field.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:14:08 PM by Seob » Logged

8 bits of fun
AtariBuff
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 05:36:51 PM »

Also using Cobalt 5.3 and I'm happy with it - also with synchronisation to the iPhone & iPad.
menz666
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »

Hi there,

Collection Tracking is easy if you use consoleprofiler.at (Hard to say that the page is in German language only....)

menz666
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: