Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 15, 2019, 12:12:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair/Servicing Odyssey2/Videopac Controller  (Read 4999 times)
Blueleader
Attacked the Timelord

« on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »

Here i want to share my experience of repairing Odyssey2/Videopac Controller

Click on an Image will open a bigger one.
This are the tools i used.

Interesting with the Odyssey 2 Controller is, there are 2 differences.
First, there is a hemispherical plastic on the lever (the european variant is here full metal) and there is an additional washer.

Since disassembly was already described elsewhere, I show here only how do I remove the Speed nut.
I bend it gently with pliers and then push him to the top.

If you go with the pliers to bend the Speed nut flat, you can use him again.

After I cleaned all the parts carefully, I lubricate out the hemisphere (O2) / ball (VP) of the joystick lever and then put this one into the case.
As a lubricant, I use normal grease which I have filled in a syringe with a plastic cannula.
So you can measure out perfectly fine.

Odyssey 2

Videopac

Before I mount the Dirtshield, I filled up the Hole with grease too.

Also, I lubricate the Actionbutton with a drop of clock oil.

Joysticks with filmcontacts sometimes are oxidized. I cleaned the contacts CAREFULLY with a Glass Fibre Eraser. 2x light pressure is usually sufficient.
Left before, right after cleaning.

Joystics with mechanical directionswitches you can clean with a fine sandpaper.
I used a P180. Cut a narrow strip that fits this into the switch.
First rough side up then push moderate on the switch and pull the sandpaper through. Normaly 1-2 times are enough. Same with rough side down.
I did this on all 8 switches.

Where the Actionbutton press on the filmcontact, I put 1-2 layers of fabric tape. I read this on another site.

Thatís all. I hope it is a little help.

Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:41 AM »

Very, very nicely done! Thank you for posting this. Smiley

Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »

Nice explanation, thanks!

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »

Thank you for the information and pictures!  I use rubbing alcohol to clean the washer and the plastic piece the spring pushes into the washer with rubbing alcohol, and then a light coat of synthetic motor oil before wiping it down.  I do the same with the washer using a q tip.  They look nearly brand new and are really smooth after that.

To clean the dirt/grime out of the little channels in the face plate of the controller, I use a little water and dish soap with a toothbrush to get in the hard to reach places.
byonddrivn
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I took apart my player 1 controller to give it a good cleaning and I tried following the steps to lube it back up but I'm getting a lot of thunkin' & clunkin' from the black disc that sits underneath the spring when it slides. I've had the controller apart more times than I can count trying what's posted and variations of it but it doesn't seem to help and now I've taken apart the player 2 controller to see if I was missing something and that one does it too. I haven't cleaned or lubed that one yet tho.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »

I think the black disc shouldn't be lubricated, but should be cleaned with alcohol instead. In an unmodified controller there is no grease or something like that underneath this disc.
byonddrivn
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:31:46 AM »

Thanks Rene, that's good to know. I think I found that out the hard way since my controller wouldn't work last nite. I took it apart and cleaned it to get any oil out, must have used too much the last time I lubed it because it worked fine afterwards but thunks almost twice as much now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: