Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 08, 2022, 06:06:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum will disappear in April 2023 please check this topic!

Home   Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a nifty game idea...but just about zero programming skills.  (Read 7076 times)
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« on: October 25, 2007, 06:29:03 PM »

I'm reposting this excerpt from my blog in the hopes that someone can help out.  I think it's a cool idea.

First, a bit of background. Evan has a penchant for launching his pacifier across the room at incredibly high velocities. This phenomenon, and the subsequent mad dash to retrieve and thoroughly clean the projectile in question, has become known as a Binky Blast. Evan is therefore the Binky Blaster. He?s got a little bed thingie that keeps him from rolling off of a table, bed, etc., which I?ve taken to calling the Binky Blaster Command Center 5000 Action Playset. Um?maybe I should just stop there.

Anyway, the name of the game is Binky Blast!, and it?s a mishmash of elements from two games which, by total coincidence, both concern balloons: Kickman and King & Balloon. To illustrate the basics of how it?s played, I?ve slammed together a completely illogical montage of graphics from different O2 games, chiefly P.T. Barnum?s Acrobats!, complete with zoomy graphics right out of the average O2 instruction manual.

Binky Blaster is the smiley face at the bottom of the screen. He moves back and forth, hurling his binky skyward in an attempt to dislodge a bottle of milk. You can do one of two things: catch the binky as it blasts up from underneath you, which sends it back to the baby for another attempt, or catch the falling bottle that the binky hits. (The binky can miss completely, but, as is the case with the real Binky Blaster, he has an infinite supply with which to take another shot.) It?s worth pointing out here that you have no control over the baby (tell me about it!) - you?re just the poor clod who?s trying to catch stuff as it flies or falls.

Every once in a while, you?ve accumulated so many bottles that your next move must be to catch the binky. If you successfully catch the binky with bottles balanced on your head, the bottles go to the baby, who keeps smilin? about the whole thing.

Failure to catch the binky will mean that you?re now trying to carry more bottles than you can balance, and it all falls down. Baby not happy. Start over.

I?d like to think (yeah, I know, dream on) that this wouldn?t be an overly complicated game to do on the O2. But then again, it?s way too complicated for some oaf like me who doesn?t have the coding chops for it, so go figure. The Odyssey2 doesn?t have a Kickman-like game in its library, and for some reason, in whatever fever dream this game concept came to me, this struck me as fulfilling the O2?s traditional mandate of ?copy an arcade game, but change things around so we don?t get sued?.

So?does anyone out there want to help with Binky Blast?  I know this is the traditional juncture at which the people with the ability to do the actual programming heavy lifting tell the Idea People like me that they should suck it up and learn to program.  And I can definitely see where that response would be coming from...it's just that my hands are a bit full right now (of bottles and binkies).   Wink
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »

Sounds like a good game, and something that could be done on an Odyssey. Its funny/cool that its inspired by a baby, but that's fine by me.

That's my two-bits.... Looks good, but myself, no O2 programming experience (yet - hopefully someday).

grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »

I think any good ideas should come out of the community, thinking outside of the traditional box  Smiley

Hey Ozyr, don't you have time on your hands? Time to check the 'links' section under 'programming'  Huh? Anyway hopefully you no longer have time on your hands  Smiley

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »

I could always publish this if it got off the ground  Wink

I have 12"
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:53:38 AM »

Hey Ozyr, don't you have time on your hands? Time to check the 'links' section under 'programming'  Huh? Anyway hopefully you no longer have time on your hands  Smiley

5 months next week, and still job hunting, so yes - I've got time on my hand. However, it is being currently spent putting together a magazine that I do for a club. A game of this caliber, or any game for that matter, I would expect to takes months just to learn programming the O2.

Someday... (I hope).

Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 07:56:27 AM »

Its funny/cool that its inspired by a baby, but that's fine by me.
Consider it the first true-to-life documentary made in the form of an O2 game.   Cheesy
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:57:46 AM »

This could be a great game Smiley but the name is way to flashy for Vpac/Ody.

Shouldn't it be: "Catch the Bottles and Feed"  Wink

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 12:09:38 PM »

Nah, I expect the Euro equivalent would be "Spit The Dummy".   Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: