Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 15, 2019, 12:31:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RGB mod: Din-8 connectors variations  (Read 2923 times)
Alessandro
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: August 03, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »

I recently modded a g7400 for RGB+composite output. Since I encounterd some difficulties in finding the correct 8-din connectors, I share my experience here hoping that may be useful to others who want to attempt the mod.

As mentioned in the detailed RGB mod guide (http://www.the-nextlevel.com/odyssey2/articles/g7400guide/rgbmod.php), there are two versions of the 8-pin connectors. One has the pin arranged in a "horseshoe" pattern, while the other has them in a circular pattern. The one which was factory installed in the French g7400s was the circular one, so that's the one you probably wants to use too.

When I was ready to install the connector, I discovered that while the one I bought was the right style, the pins which connect to the board had a different footprint!

Instead of buying a new one I spent some time filing and bending the pins and the plastic using a dremmel and I managed to make it fit.

Here is it intalled on the board:

Another thing I discovered is that there's a third style of DIN8 connector, which only differs in a small particular from the one we need.

Here is a comparison picture:

can you spot the difference?
The middle pin on the left connector (the correct one) is slighty moved towards the "notch" of the plug, while in the other one it's in the exact center!

Again, I found a use for the wrong connector: I heated the middle pin with the soldering iron and then extracted it with a pair of pliers, converting it into a 7-pin connector. I then used it to build a composite cable for using with TVs or monitors without SCART.

gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:05:32 AM »

I have to lookup the component number but RS components has the proper socket:
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1717.msg15235#msg15235
They come from RS USA so the delivery time is a bit longer than usual.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:53:16 AM by gertk » Logged

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
Blueleader
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:33:32 PM »

For MAB-8-SH from Hirshmann i have 2 Links:

In Austria Distrelec. That's where i bought mine.
Here is the Link and here the Datasheet

There also is Farnell for different countries.
Here again the Link and the Datasheet
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: