Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 10, 2018, 12:31:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roy G. Biv's Colorful Adventure  (Read 1444 times)
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:25 AM »

I thought it would be cool to make a new Master Strategy game. So I thought of an idea. It's kind of like a cross between Monopoly and Candy Land. The board in this game would be a round one with 36 spaces on it. One start space and then 5 groups of 7 colors. The cartridge would tell you which spot to land on, and serves as a second set of dice. So I guess you could play this even if you don't have an Odyssey 2. At the start, if a player lands on an unclaimed color, they get a card with that color on it. There would be 5 cards with the same color on it. So whoever gets 3 of a color "claims" that color. And since there's 7 colors, there would be no tie, it's best out of 7. This ROM is the start. It tells a player what color they land on the circular board. The message "Roll Dice" might appear, to indicate that it doesn't want to choose a color, so the player should roll the dice instead. So far, the ACTION button only works for player 0. This is in its very early stages. If bad comes to worse, the board won't be a board at all, but a piece of paper or something that I can print on easily. I can print the cards myself to save money on it. Anyone here knows of a place that makes board games?
note: "Roy G. Biv" is a mnemonic of the seven colors of the rainbow: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet. But since the Odyssey 2 doesn't display those colors, it will have to be Blue, Cyan, Green, Red, Purple, Beige and White. But Roy G. Biv is more well-known.

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »

I like it.  Wink Master Strategy was one of the reasons I decided to get my Odyssey, loved the inovative conception.

The cartridge would tell you which spot to land on, and serves as a second set of dice. So I guess you could play this even if you don't have an Odyssey 2.

The best part of Master Strategy Series is the main part of the game is played on the Videogame, so if you want to do a MSS game I sugest you to keep the main part to the console and if itīs possible make the game possible to play without the board part and nowadays itīs important to make it possible to be played for only one player. I readed in a old mag that the 5th MSS game would be a Football Manager, it should be fun.
TomBeck
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

The Master Strategy games make a real difference to other videogame systems. It was a wonderful innovation. I would like to see a new Master Strategy game.  Smiley

I hoped to see some day " The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes ". But it should be to difficult to release, since nobody knows how it worked. Itīs really a pitty. We have the game, some artwork and thatīs all.  Sad

A unrealizable Videopac/Odyssey2 dream...  Cry

I found an old mockup on my hard disc. Sometimes I looked at and dream.  Wink

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 01:59:13 AM »

I amended the idea a little bit:
"So I have come up with a homebrew Odyssey 2 game that will use a board game with it. It is called Rob G. Wic's Colorful Adventure. It's like Candy Cane Lane meets Mario Party. The board game part I'm imagining a circle with all 7 colors on it thrice. One set of colors will have a symbol on it. The video game part is this: Player "rolls" the virtual dice to see what color comes up. Then a little minigame comes up pertaining to the color that got chosen. Whoever wins the minigame will get to move their little token to the next color on the board. If the player lands on a colored space with a symbol on it, he gets a card with that color on it. The player who gets all 7 cards first wins. So I've been programming the rolling part of the game. I was originally going to call it Roy G. Biv's colorful adventure, but the Odyssey 2 color set doesn't have indigo or yellow, so I changed the mnemonic to Rob G. Wic (Red, Orange, Blue, Green, White, Indigo, Cyan). Indigo has turned out to be more of a pink color. but Rob G. Wpc won't work. So anyway to stop the roller and see what color you get, press the left player's fire button. Then when the game is completed, after that, a little minigame will come up. But for now, to have player 0 roll again, just press reset (F5 on O2EM.)"
What do you think of this idea?

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
tigerinatlanta
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »

I like the idea Chris.  I think it would be a very intriquing game to add to the homebrew scene.
Keep up the good work!
Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:35:49 AM »

I think the biggest problem today is developing games exclusively for two players. In the past, the most played games at home were things like Smithreens, Showdown in 2100 A.D or Spin-out. See, games like Pong, Mr. Roboto or In (up) comming are great because they bring option for 1 or 2 players. So always think about the possibility of doing something that works for 1 player, too.
Not long ago I almost had to kidnap a person to play "The Conquest of the World" Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: