Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 10, 2019, 09:11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ed Averett Q&A at CGE 2K14  (Read 9003 times)
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »

Yes Marc, thats right. You can shoot your opponent in the feet as he always has to go lower first before he can shoot you. I wonder how well they play-tested their games back then.

Ed have two kids at the time, a 3 and a 1 years old boy, they´re responsabile for the testing. Smiley
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 01:11:57 AM »

Yes Marc, thats right. You can shoot your opponent in the feet as he always has to go lower first before he can shoot you. I wonder how well they play-tested their games back then.

Just read the manual:
"The red gunfighter has a slight advantage, so you should change handsets with your opponent at the end of each game."

Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 07:38:19 AM »

@Rafael:  Cheesy that must be it!

@René: that gives me the feeling that they discovered the disadvantage after they completed the game. I'm sure that they would otherwise have corrected the position of the cowboys.
You know, trying to hide a bug by disguising it as a feature  Wink.

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »

You know, trying to hide a bug by disguising it as a feature  Wink.

I´m not sure if th´s the case for this game, but surely it happened with Take the Money... and Soccer. Ayway, there´s a bug on Gunfigther, but it´s rare. Sometimes, the duelists came splited in 2. Anyway, it was fun. We  loved to saw when it happened.
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 09:35:55 PM »

Ayway, there´s a bug on Gunfigther, but it´s rare. Sometimes, the duelists came splited in 2. Anyway, it was fun. We  loved to saw when it happened.

Never seen that happen lol! Did see some character overlap issues sometimes.

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »

Ayway, there´s a bug on Gunfigther, but it´s rare. Sometimes, the duelists came splited in 2. Anyway, it was fun. We  loved to saw when it happened.

Never seen that happen lol! Did see some character overlap issues sometimes.

We really spent a lot of time with "Gunfigther". When friends came to my home usually we played it and Smitreens, for two players. Timelord (with char overlaps Wink, Killer Bees and Super Bee. Talking about bugs, one game with a really bad bug is Motocrash. If you play at the same speed of the other motorcicles, you won´t find nobody on your way, but seems the score runs the same way, no matter the speed of player Huh?
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 11:56:07 PM »

Well, this week I just had a big surprise and received an e-mail for the iconic Ed Averett  Cheesy and how we know he´s basically the Odyssey2. This guy really made my childhood happy and later inspired me to create games, so I just decided to wrote some lines how Ed games inspired me and his importance for the Odysssey2. Without Ed I´m sure we won´t have this nice forum and friendly people, so here´s some lines I wrote, I used the translator, so I hope it can be read without problems (I´m still need to make soem revision on it):

http://odygames.blogspot.com.br/2015/06/ele-voltou-click-here-for-english.html
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 01:21:09 AM »

I just had a chance to ask some questions to Ed Averett, naturally I had much more to ask, but I tried to worry him with a lot of questions. I asked him if I could post some quotes about it, so herés some questions I did Ed and his replies:

Do you have a Odyssey3? And if Odyssey3 project had gone ahead, you continue produced games for it? Did you have some ideas?
On Odyssey 3… No I don’t have one. By the time it that came out the US group was giving up and had a herd of programmers. Once they saw how much money could be made and since management could not tell programmers from Game designers it was time for me to move on. I’ve always felt most inspired breaking new ground anyway so it was good for all.
I read in O2Homepage you created several concepts based on PacMan before the final version of the KC Munchkin, do you remember anything you can tell us. There are prototypes of these or other games?
Philips wanted something to compete with Pacman and has me to come up with ideas.  All were munching grid games but my stuff did not have the ghost. They wanted ghost, they got lawyers. Smiley I didn’t keep anything as I was a really busy guy and saving stuff was not in my schedule.
How did you create the graphic concepts at that time? In today things are much easier, even tools like Paintbrush helps us in creating graphics or sprites. You wore paper for the drawings? Left some things this time that can share (drawings, diagrams ...)
O, on the graphic concepts… all the graphics as I’m sure you know were done in assembly language and represented by ASCII characters. So it was pull out a piece of grid graph paper and fill in the dots then code the ASCII characters that were the same dots. Aagh What really excites me today is to design stuff that opens up new frontiers. Like I said on the KC web site, making the bad guys real world bad guys like cancer is very interesting to me. If I can make it enough fun and amusing enough I think it could open up a great new direction for gaming where we all win.
We need all kind of video games but it’s the unexplored areas that intrigue me.

You probably had other ideas (not coded) for O2 games. Do you remember something, you keep some kind of note?
Did you have any kind of idea to create some other innovative series, as was the case with Master Strategy?
No every game that popped into my head, I coded and they sold until the end. Same answer on the Master series, no time for concepts that I didn’t do.

Following the success of KC Munchkin Magnavox seems to have taken seriously the videogames (a little late, maybe). Do you know if they have new plans as arcades licensing, license to produce games based on blockbusters (such as Atari made ET, Indiana Jones). What they intended to do to leverage the Odyssey?

I seriously doubt they have any place at Philips to product or license any of their hits. They would have to pay me $ and that would drive them nuts. Smiley
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 06:45:51 AM »

Great article Rafael thanks! Ed seems to be a nice guy, love his down to earth nature.

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »

Great article Rafael thanks! Ed seems to be a nice guy, love his down to earth nature.

Yes, it was quite pleasant to talk to the one who made all this possible. Of course, I invited him to participate in our forum, maybe one day it does not appear here. Currently, I think he's a little busy with things of the windows 10.
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »

Thanks for the interview with Mr. Odyssey. It was for sure, a great moment in your life, to have contact with him.  Cool

Maybe in 20 years you are the person, who will answer questions from a Odyssey or Videopac fan, about your great games.  Cheesy

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 11:57:20 PM »

Thanks for the interview with Mr. Odyssey. It was for sure, a great moment in your life, to have contact with him.  Cool

Maybe in 20 years you are the person, who will answer questions from a Odyssey or Videopac fan, about your great games.  Cheesy

For sure, It is fun to have the chance to "talk" to the guy who wrote the games with which we grew up. Not even seems real.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: