Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 20, 2020, 09:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's raining Commodore 1702s!  (Read 5847 times)
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: June 28, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »

This story goes back over ten years ago.  The elementary school I attended had an old storage area underneath the stage where they would have performances.  During a school carnival several years ago when I was older, I made my way down into this dark area, and found racks of what I thought were old Apple computers.  Several years later, I went back down there after my church bought the school (it had been vacant for a few years and was for sale) and I don't remember seeing the old computers that time, perhaps I overlooked them or something. A few years later to last week while I was helping with a church soccer (football) practice at the old school, now a church building/property, I told the story of the old computers to my cousin, then he mentioned they still had many old Commodores in there!  Perhaps in the past, I confused them for old Apple computers, or they were actually there at one point and later moved.

My cousin told me the pastor would probably let me keep them, so I talked to my pastor and he said they were going to throw them away or recycle them, so I was welcome to keep them!  I picked up all 13 of them today after church.  We plugged in two, and both powered up!  I assume the others will too.  I will probably keep 6 or so and give and/or sell the rest to those who would use and appreciate them.  I see many online. Any money I make selling these will go right to the church, probably a missions trip.  I figure that would be good Smiley

Here are some pictures of them from when they were in the school's storage area, where they probably sat for over 30 years, and now reside in my brother's old room where I'll clean them up, and test all of them before deciding which ones to keep.  It's an interesting feeling to think these were sitting down in the basement of that old school all those years my friends and I attended in the mid to late '90s and early 2000s.

Anyone know the best way to hook an RF Odyssey 2 into the composite A/V connection? Cheesy

Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:06:03 PM »

Cool Cool Cool

That is just too cool! Congrats Sweersa!

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »

I were dead, if I would bring so many Commodores in our house. I am running out of place with my Videopac/Jopac/Odyssey2 collection. And you have so many O2 and now also so many Commodores. Once, I told you, you could open a Magnavox/NAP service station for O2. I were wrong.  If you go on like this, you could open

Sweersa`s Retro Electronic Mega Store

Cheesy

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:27:19 AM »

I confirmed with my brother that the old storage area in the school indeed had old Apple computers at one point.  They were gone though Sad Sorry, Ozyr

I were dead, if I would bring so many Commodores in our house. I am running out of place with my Videopac/Jopac/Odyssey2 collection. And you have so many O2 and now also so many Commodores. Once, I told you, you could open a Magnavox/NAP service station for O2. I were wrong.  If you go on like this, you could open

Cheesy

Haha, thank you!  That is very funny. It's going to be rough when I move into my own place.  I couldn't fit it all in an apartment!  I'll need a house for sure.  Or perhaps open a store, and live in there. Cheesy

Cool Cool Cool

That is just too cool! Congrats Sweersa!

Thanks!  It is still very exciting.  I have cleaned 8 of them up, and they all power on!  Some flicker a bit, but probably just need to be powered up for a while. I gave one to my little brother, who tested it with a small video game and the video and audio are both great!
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:33:56 AM »

Yes they are great monitors. Some tend to go a little blurry as they get older.

Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »

Yes they are great monitors. Some tend to go a little blurry as they get older.

Can that be solved by adjusting the focus control inside the monitor?
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »

I don't know. Haven't got one anymore.  Sad

gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:27 AM »

One word of warning, this is for all older equipment:

never leave it running unattended

Filter caps (mains circuit) and electrolytics (power supply) tend to go bad and should be inspected and/or replaced to assure safe operation.

Recently I got a external harddisk enclosure from Amigos with a power supply which seemed to work OK, but after a few minutes suddenly a sharp 'crackling' noise, some smoke but the power supply kept on working.
Proved to be one of the mains filter caps which had blown, almost caught fire.
Luckily I tried it outdoors...

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:10:35 PM »

I've had the same problem with those RIFA/Miniprint capacitors, they are known to be dangerous nowadays.
In my Revox B760 it caused a huge amount of smoke and a bad smell for days.
In my Tandberg 825 it caused a very loud rattling sound in the speaker.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 10:55:12 PM »

I appreciate the warning!  I always unplug (or switch off the master power strip) for my Odyssey 2 consoles and any displays I use for it.
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:05:48 PM »

Nice haul. The best things in life are for free.

8 bits of fun
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »

It's the best monitor to play retro games.
They're PAL?
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:11:48 AM »

It's the best monitor to play retro games.
They're PAL?

I wondered this myself initially, but I believe they are NTSC.

Nice haul. The best things in life are for free.

That is very true!
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »

Cheesy
Sweersa's Magnavox Authorized Service Center ?

Videopac digger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: