Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
June 17, 2019, 07:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O2EM Game ROMs: Are Cheats Possible?  (Read 1477 times)
Rotgut
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: January 11, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »

The number-one gripe I always had with Odyssey 2 games, even back when I was a kid, is the number of "lives" per game.  The standard was 3 lives per game yet for some reason the people at Magnavox must have missed that memo.  lol  It made me crazy.

So now that we have emulation for the Odyssey 2 (O2EM) I am wondering: Is it possible to increase the number of "lives" in a game to, say, 3 per game? 

It's funny I have never utilized any of the cheat options available in the console emulators I run, but in the case of the O2, I would definitely bump the number of lives up.  One is just not enough IMO.

Thanks in advance   Smiley
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »

It's not possible without reprogramming the game - cause the code for subtracting life and showing a count etc. is just not there.

In a typical game you would have code to subtract a life if you day and if you still have lifes then the game continues - a cheat would then just put 5 at the location where there is usually a 3 to increase the number of available lifes.

In ody2 games the code is not there, so the game is initialized again after the player dies ...

sex, lies, and videopac
Rotgut
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »

It's not possible without reprogramming the game - cause the code for subtracting life and showing a count etc. is just not there.

In a typical game you would have code to subtract a life if you day and if you still have lifes then the game continues - a cheat would then just put 5 at the location where there is usually a 3 to increase the number of available lifes.

In ody2 games the code is not there, so the game is initialized again after the player dies ...

I see.  When you put it that way, I guess it makes sense.

Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: