Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 08, 2019, 11:49:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invaders!  (Read 3358 times)
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« on: April 19, 2016, 01:32:37 AM »

I'm making a Space Invaders clone to the Odyssey 2 because... why not?

We deserve it! Smiley

For now all I show is a playable concept, basically you can destroy the aliens and if you kill them all, the game resets.

I have plans to update the quads on the fly, which involves some tricky timing, if everything goes right, I have plans to put 5 alien rows on screen.

Wish me luck! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:38:24 AM by LD » Logged
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »

Wish me luck! Smiley

Good luck!  Smiley
ScottyDont00
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »

Wish me luck! Smiley

Good Luck and can't wait to play!
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »

Cheesy Good luck!

ps do you have any idea when Incomming will be released?

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

Thanks all!   Cheesy

ps do you have any idea when Incomming will be released?

Soon! The game is finished but is having a problem with voice module on NTSC machines, according René, the game is running fine on VideoPac with voice BTW. Smiley
A G7400 and voice module is a must have for this game!
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:04:14 PM »

Well, good luck then  Cheesy

8 bits of fun
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 12:00:39 AM »

Also from me : Good luck !!!  Smiley

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 01:00:51 AM »

Thanks.

It's a real pity I can't draw those iconic sprites, I need to use the non customizable chars from Odyssey2 bios.

I was making some tests and I think I can update the graphics and draw a new alien row every 15 scanlines (7.5 pixels height).
I want to optimize the code and see if I can reduce to 6 pixel between rows.
My code only disables VDC during Hblank, and I can update only 1 register per scanline, almost.

Edit : Image
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:29:44 AM by LD » Logged
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »

If you had made this game a few years ago, you would have changed the history of video games. Very Good Luck!
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »

I just noticed, that we have already a great Space Invaders sprite. I found it in Mage 3 (see Pic1). Just turn around and cut off the legs (Pic2)...   Cheesy

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »

In the original Taito Space Invaders the invaders move one at a time per frame, that is also why the game speeds up as you shoot out an invader. The Taito Space Invader screen memory is bitmapped in vertical(!) stripes of 8 pixels. To move graphic data up or down a hardware 'barrel shifter' was used.

In most Space Invader clones I see alle the invaders move as a solid block.

Some years ago I have tried  to use the Videoplac plus graphics part to make a realistic moving space invader clone.
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1632.msg14168#msg14168
The concept written in G7400 Basic worked: you need to precalculate all invader permutations and put them into the user defined character memory. By carefully selecting which character goes where you can make them move per pixel.
Since you need to update only one invader per frame the correct speed should be doable.

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »

If you had made this game a few years ago, you would have changed the history of video games. Very Good Luck!
Not me but if Philips had put more effort on Odyssey 2, it would stand better against the competitors.
I just noticed, that we have already a great Space Invaders sprite. I found it in Mage 3 (see Pic1). Just turn around and cut off the legs (Pic2)...
This is a nice sprite, but was not made by the chars, I'm using the sprites for 3 shields and the player missile. I need to use chars because there are only 4 sprites to use, not enough to build a screen full of enemies.
In the original Taito Space Invaders the invaders move one at a time per frame, that is also why the game speeds up as you shoot out an invader. The Taito Space Invader screen memory is bitmapped in vertical(!) stripes of 8 pixels. To move graphic data up or down a hardware 'barrel shifter' was used.
Yeah, I noticed that, I think the code is much poorly optimized in original, even using a slow processor, I think it could handle more aliens every frame. I will try to reproduce the original timing, but you need remember there will be 8 aliens per row instead 11, so I think the timing should be faster than the arcade, when the game starts.
You should finish your S.I. for G7400, it could be a nice addiction to it's game library.
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 01:39:43 AM »

Promissing...
The white quads are calculated at yellow area, and green quads at green area. The blue area is time to repositioning and set new values for the next quads.
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 04:19:21 AM »

How will you do the heart beat type noise?

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »

I need to find the pitches more close to original and play it, the code should keep the rhythm even if others sounds interrupts, which will happens as we have only a single channel.
So there will be a code for background noise and another code for the regular sound fx.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: