Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
November 12, 2019, 12:21:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZX spectrum  (Read 4868 times)
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: April 19, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »

My lates addition to my collection is the zx spectrum. It's a 16k version, with interface 1, microdrive and 5 brand new microdrive tapes and a printer. All stored, but the printer, in a beautiful box.
The speccy is really pristine looking. Opened it up to see if i can expand the system, and it looks like new.
So next step is to get myself the components to upgrade the memory to play all those nice 48k games.
Already having a blast with Jetpac.

8 bits of fun
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:07:16 AM »

Nice find!

Before inserting the microdrive cartridges (tapes) check the small foam pad on the leafspring behind the tape. There is a large chance these have deteriorated or are missing. The pads might come loose and slip in between the tape loop inside the cartridge and destroy the tape. The pads can be replaced but it is a fiddly job.

Memory upgrade for the 16k Spectrum consists of four TTL chips and 8 memory chips, Sinclair used 64k bit chips of which one of the 32k bit halves had a defect. (recycling!) With jumpers on the board you could select which halve was bad. You can just use 64k bit chips like the 4164 DRAM and it will work ok, you may select either jumper position.

A nice instruction manual: http://www.retroleum.co.uk/files/48k_upgrade.pdf

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »

Yes, nice find. Thanks god, we have the Retro Gamer now also in Germany. So I have learned many about other systems, beside the for me well known videogame consoles like Atari, Intellivision, Vectrex or Coleco. Also the ZX spectrum has wonderful games. It`s always a wonder, what a good programmer could do with so less memory (like with our Videopac).

ZX games like Mazogs, Forty Niner or of course the great 3D Monster Maze (Shocked) are amazing for this little system.

Have fun with it!  Cheesy

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:05 AM »

Thanks

Have a lot of fun playing jetpac

8 bits of fun
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »

Yes, nice find. Thanks god, we have the Retro Gamer now also in Germany. So I have learned many about other systems, beside the for me well known videogame consoles like Atari, Intellivision, Vectrex or Coleco. Also the ZX spectrum has wonderful games. It`s always a wonder, what a good programmer could do with so less memory (like with our Videopac).

ZX games like Mazogs, Forty Niner or of course the great 3D Monster Maze (Shocked) are amazing for this little system.

You are mentioning some fine ZX81 games here, don't forget to check out my ZX81 work as well Tongue http://www.revival-studios.com/sinclair.php

What makes the ZX81 unique is the simplicity of the hardware design (everything on a few chips) which basically lets the progammer do all drawing and handling themselves instead of having a chip (like the VIC/VICII) handle it.

Also, it makes a great doorstop!

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »

How could I forget Revival Studios....  Embarrassed   Kiss

Indeed an exclusiv doorstop.

Cheesy

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 05:28:55 PM »

You are mentioning some fine ZX81 games here, don't forget to check out my ZX81 work as well Tongue http://www.revival-studios.com/sinclair.php

What makes the ZX81 unique is the simplicity of the hardware design (everything on a few chips) which basically lets the progammer do all drawing and handling themselves instead of having a chip (like the VIC/VICII) handle it.

Also, it makes a great doorstop!

Yes need a new 16k rampack for my zx81 as well, since mine is broken.

8 bits of fun
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 11:46:35 PM »

I have bought a 32K expension for my Speccy. Trying to make a video about it.

8 bits of fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: