Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
November 21, 2019, 10:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colecovision anger  (Read 3495 times)
Chris!
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: May 07, 2016, 02:10:26 AM »

Why I like Odyssey 2: reason #47:
I just got a Colecovision. I got some games and I can't play a couple of them because they need special controllers. They probably cost a whole lot of money now. So I like the Odyssey 2 because none of the games needed special controllers you had to buy separately. The controllers are hardwired in!

All my Odyssey2 projects, now in one place!
http://www.atari2600land.com/odyssey2.html
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:27:43 AM »

Why I like and don't like Colecovision.

Like:
There are some great games for it. Back in the early eighties it made me drool against the toystores windows because the games looked so close to their originals in the arcades. Zaxxon and Donkey Kong come to mind. It made my G7000 graphics look like they were made by a calculator. For those a little younger; it was every gamer's dream back in the days to have the arcade games in their own homes. They used to be the hottest thing in gaming there was and owning them seemed beyound reality. Smiley

Don't like:
The overall durability of the console is sh*t to put it mildly. Four out of five I have and have had are broke. I always get nervous when I power up my only working Coleco. I had one that almost literally exploded when switched on. It made a noise like "BLAB!" and a nice puff off smoke emerged from it.

The controllers are uncomfortable with a terrible stick. I find it hard to have good control over the games I'm playing. I wish they were easy to replace. I even like the Intellivisions controllers better even though lots of folk complain about those. I still think the Intellivision should get more love as it is great console with great hidden gems that were only released for the Inty.

The homebrew scene:
Lot's of homebrews are released, they are expensive and most of them sell out really quickly. If you want to be a collector than that will become very frustrating very soon. Most of the time they refuse to sell the roms for download once the game is sold out, but they will almost never re-release them. I just can't have much appreciation for people making collectors items deliberately. Everyone should be able to play all the games.
The homebrews are almost all remakes of games from other systems. I find that terribly boring and useless and prefer new idea's. Just my opinion, I hail the Videopac/Odyssey homebrewers for coming up with so many new games that are not remakes.

If you like the ColecoVisions then you should buy this:
http://www.atarimax.com/colecosd/documentation/index.html
It's amazing and no more need for collecting all the games. At least if you don't want to, like me Wink
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:48:01 AM by Janzl » Logged

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »

I agree with Robbert, both Likes and Dislikes. It was fantastic when I read the first reviews in the games magazines back then, I couldn't believe what I saw. The games were so close to arcade games ...

I don't collect homebrews for the Colecovision (nor do I for the Intellivision, except for very special ones like Boulder Dash or Defender Of The Crown) - there are just too many. I don't have the space and money for them all ...

TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »

Back in the days, I also wanted a Coleco Vision. But it costs over 500 DM and I had a G7400, so I never get one.  Sad

I also noticed, that most of the Coleco Vision homebrews/new releases, are for me well known games. After the Videopac I bought a Philips MSX and played many games, they get now for Coleco.  When I understand right, are both systems very similar.

Our new releases are rarely well known games.

And it`s right, when I would now start to collect CBS, I could never get most of the homebrew games. They are very quick sold out and are really expensive.

So again, I am happy to collect Videopac/Jopac/Odyssey2 and brazil Odyssey!  Smiley

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 11:24:53 PM »

I also noticed, that most of the Coleco Vision homebrews/new releases, are for me well known games. After the Videopac I bought a Philips MSX and played many games, they get now for Coleco.  When I understand right, are both systems very similar.

As far as I know both systems have the same microprocesor (Z80) and videochip.
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »

Back in the days, I also wanted a Coleco Vision. But it costs over 500 DM and I had a G7400, so I never get one.  Sad

Our new releases are rarely well known games.

And it`s right, when I would now start to collect CBS, I could never get most of the homebrew games. They are very quick sold out and are really expensive.

So again, I am happy to collect Videopac/Jopac/Odyssey2 and brazil Odyssey!  Smiley

I agree with all points Robbert put forward regarding the colecovision. Also don't forget coleco had all the major players aboard their console:  Sega, Nintendo, Konami, etc.  its crazy!!!   I still think in a parallel universe where the 83 videogame crash didn't happen, coleco would have been on top of things all through the 90s with their great third party support!

Anyways, for those looking for rare coleco homebrews or other coleco items: I'm selling my personal coleco collection, consisiting of boxed accessories, many original games (all boxed/good condition with tight collectors UV PVC case to keep them mint) as well as many homebrews including the rare first edition for mario bros (red cartridge). Email or PM me

- martijn

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: