Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 01, 2020, 04:13:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IntelliXpander for Videopac?  (Read 6641 times)
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: June 12, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »

The CBS Colecovision has the SGM (SuperGameModule) to enhance graphics and sounds since some time. But now, it seems so, that Opcode Games also bring something like this, for the Intellivision system with the name IntelliXpander.

And now started the discussion, if, when it`s used, the Intellivision is still an Intellivision. But Opcode Games answers in his FAQ (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251084-opcode-games-announces-intellixpander-castlevania-and-gradius-for-2017/page-3 ), that he don`t use a new videochip and the IntelliXpander drastically improves the Intellivision processing power without replacing any of the existing components.

And here my question:
I understand, that something like this is possible for the Colecovision, because CBS wanted to do the same. Also has Colecovision the expansionport for something like this. But the INTV had only one cartridge slot (like Videopac). It has a voice module (like we had) and a computer module (like we had). So why is something like this possible, that they enhance gfx and sounds while using a module?

Were something like this also possible for Videopac/Videopac+? If yes, what we need for that? And if not, why not?

Many thanks for an answer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:52:05 AM by TomBeck » Logged

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »

Biggest problem is how to get those enhanced graphics on screen since the Videopac cart slot has no provision to inject video and/or audio signals.
Even the voice module has its own amplifier and speaker. So you need another connection to your screen meaning the addon needs to generate a complete video and audio signal and uses only the keyboard and joysticks from the Videopac console. A Raspberry Pi (Zero) could handle all that but then, why use a crappy keyboard and joysticks when you can connect decent USB devices... and so on and so on... A Pi Zero could emulate a Videopac easily... But would it still be a Videopac ? Smiley

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:46:03 AM »

But would it still be a Videopac ? Smiley

I think no. And that`s not what we want, I think.  Undecided

But has the INTV slot a provision to injekt video and/or audio signals  Huh?

VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 12:48:43 PM »

The Videopac cart slot has no provision to inject video and/or audio signals.
However, The Odyssey3 has them.

Can we imagine that the C7420 with a HDD (instead of a tape device) should be a SUPER module like for the Coleco or the Intv?

Videopac digger
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »

I had seen this module. Eduardo Mello, the guy behind this project was the first to tell me something about the Odyssey (chars, grid, sprites), a great person. I've also been thinking about the module and some questions came to mind:
1) This is still an Odyssey?
2) Do we really want an Odyssey to play NES or MSX games (and leave the games "real Odyssey."
3) There would be programmers to develop games for the module?
4) If there are programmers for the module, the "real Odyssey games"would stop being produced?
It would be interesting to see how  Gradius would look on the Odyssey, as a curiosity, but in the end I think of fun developed on a screen games, we play Neutron Star!
What would really like to see was a module to insert graphics plus the Odyssey2 / G7000
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:42:49 PM by Rafael » Logged
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »

my two cents: I don't get why we would need a hardware-upgrade to get "better" (looking, sounding, faster etc.) games - we have newer hardware for that -something like the super modules / expanders would have made sense in the 80s when companies tried to keep their hardware base longer in the game - but today?

the whole point of creating games for old systems is to see how to get the best out of the existing hardware - juggling the scarce resources that are there - why would we want to make the hardware better? get a NES if you need more colors, bitmaps, or sprites ;-)

sex, lies, and videopac
VideopacBelgium

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 03:17:39 PM »

Personally I don't want anything else that our VIDEOPAC style.
Maybe in the future 12K homebrew games (like KTAA) and PLUS homebrew games (like FlashPoint, Helicopter Rescue, Norseman and Trans American Rally), a bit close as some first ColecoVision games?
Maybe one day...

Videopac digger
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »

Completely agree with you ManoPac. I don't see the point at all.

The only problem is that, at least for the Coleco, they started developing homebrews that need the "SuperGameModule" to be played. So, if you are a die-hard collector, you are being pushed into buying the module to keep your collection complete.
The homebrew scene is forcing collectors to make choices. ( I am not talking Vpac/Ody developers here people Smiley ) It has made me choose not to collect anymore for certain systems.

In the Intellivision scene there is also a nice scenario going. Two parties are both developing SD-Multi-cartridges which enable you to download the roms and play them on your Inty.
Off course, both parties hate each other. This due to financial going-on's in the past. So what do they do? They both develop games that you will only be able to play on THEIR SD devices. So if you want all the games, you got to buy both SD-devices though basically they are meant to do the same thing.
I have been face-palming a lot reading those childish discussions and to keep my love for the Inty I tend to avoid their forums as much as possible.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:52:24 PM by Janzl » Logged

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »

I also don`t want anything else, than our Videopac style. I don`t want to play MSX games on Videopac. For something like this, I have a MSX.

I only wanted to know, if it were technical possible, to push our Videopac to a higher level like other consoles could do. For me (only my opinion), it were great to see, how some of our Videopac highlights will look, with a little bit better gfx and sounds. When it were possible, with a simple module in our Videopac, to play a little bit better games, I would like to do it sometimes. That mean not, that I would never play or want the "old style" games anymore.

I found some pictures from Videopac games with a little bit better gfx. I don`t know, who make these... Huh? Roll Eyes Grin

Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »

Ow they look cool!

I also agree with Videopacbelgium about the VP+ only games. I am waiting for those kind of releases Cool

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 07:37:30 PM »

Ow they look cool!

Yes. I also love they. And Rafael has much more like these three. He is ready for Odyssey 4. Cheesy

I also agree with Videopacbelgium about the VP+ only games. I am waiting for those kind of releases Cool

A new Videopac+ only game were really cool. That were our answer for Colecos SuperGameModule and INTV IntelliXpander.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:44:12 PM by TomBeck » Logged

TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »

To follow the IntellliXpander discussion at atariage.com is very interesting.

We have from „I want it now“ till „When I play INTV games, the games must look like INTV games. When I want to play NES games, I buy a NES. “.

But one member (thegoldenband) wrote something, that`s also for VP/O2 fans interesting:

"Even though it's pretty much inaccessible to me living in 60Hz land, I really like the approach that Philips took with the G7400/Odyssey^3: adding a layer of hi-res graphics to complement the existing Odyssey^2 graphics hardware.
I hope that the graphical assets added by this expansion unit will be similar, i.e. recognizably "Intellivision" graphics floating atop improved backgrounds (or vice versa)."

I think, Philips was right, to release the Videopac+, because also INTV fans like what Philips did in the eighties. And he is not alone. I also love our Videopac+.  Cheesy

But I think, it`s really a pitty, that we have only a few Videopac+ only games. The few we have were only the beginning. What were possible, when Philips didn`t pull the plug out of the Videopac......  Huh?  Huh?  Huh?

VideopacBelgium

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:07 PM »

Maybe one day...
Some VG5000 games could be adapted for our Videopac+
(with the C7420 ?) like this game:

Videopac digger
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 09:33:10 PM »

The only hardware "upgrade" that are interesting, would be modern replacement of custom ic, ula's and memory ic's, like the 32k memory expension i bought for my speccy. It's a pcb with a sram chip to replace those 8 old memory ic's.
Sooner or later original hardware will break down, and when there is no replacement for it our old hardware is useless.

8 bits of fun
TomBeck
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »

Some VG5000 games could be adapted for our Videopac+ (with the C7420 ?)

Another great idea. Let´s see, what the future will bring.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: