Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 24, 2018, 08:10:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick Axe Pete!/#43/Didi Na Mina Encantada!  (Read 14074 times)
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:13 PM »

Dammit I am late. Will play it tomorrow, or even tonight.

ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »

Ok, here we go.

Before PAP was out, Munchkin was my favorite game on the Videopac system. I played it almost daily for months. Then PAP was announced in the Austrian club magazine. They wrote "the game was already a big success in the USA" - as I did not know anything about the Odyssey2 at that time, I somehow thought that it was an arcade game in the USA ;-)

And as the Videopac didn't have any arcade games, but PAP seemed to be one, I had to have it badly!! Nevertheless, soon this was my favorite Videopac game, I liked it even a bit more than Munchkin.

It was (and is) not only the unique gameplay, but it is also the sound that makes PAP special for me. The game has a "soundtrack" that no other Videopac game has. It is still a very special atmosphere for me when I play PAP today and "live" the soundtrack.

By far my favorite game is number 6. I climb up as fast as possible to the topmost platform and place Pete in the left corner there. The left part of the highest platform is mostly the one that stays fully intact longer than any other - that makes it easier. However, the big fun of the game is to jump around over gaping abysms to catch the ladders. BIG FUN!!!

A few tips that come into my mind:

1) Always JUMP into the doors (has already been posted here), so you will still fall into the door even if you get hit by a boulder (I sent that tip to the Austrian club magazine back then and they really published it in one issue).

2) When you place Pete in the upper left corner like me, always make sure that his hands are up once the pickaxe is gone. So you just need to hit the action button to make him jump when a boulder comes - if Pete's arms are down he would lay down and the boulder would hit him.

3) If you should happen to enter a black door, dont WALK around in the invisible level, but JUMP around. This reduces the chances that you fall into a hole.

My high score back in the days was 1708 points, scored on the 11th October 1983.

I played the game two times on O2EM last night and scored 1081, which is not so bad I think. Screenshot enclosed.

My tactics was always to get the key as soon as possible and enter the door. In fact I could make a higher score by staying in the left corner of the topmost platform and just jump over the boulders to score 2 points for each, but that is just not as much fun ...

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:13:30 AM by ccc--- » Logged

Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »

By far my favorite game is number 6. I climb up as fast as possible to the topmost platform and place Pete in the left corner there. The left part of the highest platform is mostly the one that stays fully intact longer than any other - that makes it easier. However, the big fun of the game is to jump around over gaping abysms to catch the ladders. BIG FUN!!!

Ha! Nice to see someone else who plays the game exactly the same way I do!  Cheesy

I only play game #6, and almost always stick to the top left corner. Only time I go down is if I can get a Pick (by two boulders colliding near me), and thus allowing me to move below without worry (until I need a new Pick).

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 07:55:42 PM »

Hmmm.... I'll have to try screen 6 tonight.  I've been playing on screen Zero.  I also have noticed that the top left is usually the safest place on the screen.  Lately I have been following others advice and hanging at the bottom getting as many pick axe's as I can before the boulders hit hyper speed.  I never tried this trick growing up but my scores have improved. 

1708 is an INCREDIBLE score!  1081 is not shabby either!  I haven't gotten into the 800's yet.  Nice job ccc---
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »

Different things works in different ways. It's all strategy and how good you are at the game (you really have be able to dodge boulders well - by jumping against a wall, or going under them, etc. Practice, practice, practice).

I like #6, just because of the layout, and the top left is a real safe place. Here's how I do it:

- Top left, hands up, jump when needed (I usually an near the left - but not too close to the wall - otherwise it's hard jumping the boulder when it comes back).
- Only issue with upper left is that if two boulders come out the door, you have to move quickly and jump then going right. If three come out (rare), your pretty much dead.
- Nice thing about upper left, if two boulder's come out a bit a apart, I position in between the two when they collide, and jump just before (many times then you'll get the get or a new Pick!).
- Sometimes when I get the key, and there are five boulders on the screen, I will go down a bit looking for Picks.

-After a while, when you go through enough doors, the boulders coming out of the door on #6 have a tendency to bounce a bit too much. When this starts to happen, I change strategy and stick to the upper level, but not the top - as that becomes too dangerous after your score gets higher. This time, I switch to getting a key first, they get to the bottom and keep getting Picks for a while, before I jump though a door.

Best score I ever did was 1531, back in May of 2005 (yes, I keep records).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:28:56 PM by ozyr » Logged

Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 05:17:19 AM »

Nooooo.....   Was playing a bit ago, and I got to 667 points. Too close to what the high scores are here - using a real system.
 Tongue

Oh well, 667 isn't bad. Just sucks when you make that one crappy move.

ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 08:35:14 AM »

- Only issue with upper left is that if two boulders come out the door, you have to move quickly and jump then going right. If three come out (rare), your pretty much dead.

Well, I place Pete really at the left wall. So if one boulder comes, you jump over it and get two points instead of one (one point when the boulder goes from the right to the wall on the left, and one point when the boulder comes back from the wall) - that's no problem with one jump and is absolutely safe. When two boulders come, still no problem - you jump over the first, get your two points and the first boulder will hit the second boulder, so this is no danger for you. When three boulders come - still no problem: you jump over the first, get your two points, the first collides with the second, no danger for you, then the third comes and you jump over it like over the first and get again two points.

The only problems with this strategy are:

1) When the topmost left platform gets a hole, fast bouncing boulders can come up to that platform from below
2) As you described, later in the game it is possible that the boulders are bouncing when they come out of the door. In this case you have to have a very good eye and reaction, or you change your strategy and avoid the topmost left platform.

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »

Nooooo.....   Was playing a bit ago, and I got to 667 points. Too close to what the high scores are here - using a real system.
 Tongue

Oh well, 667 isn't bad. Just sucks when you make that one crappy move.

Part of this forum is to suggest realistic game improvements and an improvement for all one life games is more lives!  I did the same thing last night.  Cruising along in the 500's and I misjudged a bouncing boulder... game over. 

I did try screen 6 last night but I kept getting too impatient.  You might rack up more points but to me it isn't as fun when you stay in one corner the whole game.
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 06:42:16 PM »

I did try screen 6 last night but I kept getting too impatient.  You might rack up more points but to me it isn't as fun when you stay in one corner the whole game.

I agree. I only stay as long in the top left corner until a key appears on the left side of the topmost platform. I always take the first available key and jump through the door.

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:31 PM »

Last Day for Pick Axe Pete!/#43/Did Na Mina Encantada! as the game of the month!  Make sure you set aside some time to try to best your high score.  Feel free to submit your score even if you know it isn't the highest.  I'd like to see how many are playing.

Good Luck!!!

Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 10:04:43 PM »

It's a day late, but I played PaP today, and got 965!  Cheesy

Still not as high as my older score some years back, but not bad at all. Just wish it would have been in November...  Tongue

odyssey3
Played Munchkin once...

nhl2night
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2007, 04:44:31 AM »

It's a day late, but I played PaP today, and got 965!  Cheesy

Still not as high as my older score some years back, but not bad at all. Just wish it would have been in November...  Tongue
965! not bad Ozyr!!!<O3>
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 06:12:20 AM »

Yeah, I know. When I saw how far I was getting, I was hoping to beat my old score. I only had about 300 or so points to go...  Cry

Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 01:00:28 PM »

Now could be time to "I?ve got your number" Cheesy
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 02:55:10 AM »

ccc--- had the high score for the month with Ozyr coming in a strong second!  Congrats ccc---!!!   Cool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: