Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
June 06, 2020, 03:25:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joystick shaft circlips  (Read 1159 times)
Elias
Attacked the Timelord

« on: October 07, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »

I finally found out what this C-ring is called that holds the joystick together. The C-ring is called 'shaft circlip' (dutch: 'asborgring'  of 'as-zekeringsring'). You can buy them at the hardware store or for example online at 'www.conrad.nl' or 'www.conrad.com' (see pictures). You need the ones with 4mm inner diameter. Now that I knew that, I was lucky that the hardware store nearby sold them. I bought 50 pieces for just 2,50 euro. So now all I have to do is buy 50 videopac-joysticks  Tongue.

I found it difficult to place a shaft clip on the metal stick.  The clips are made of steel, but a bit flexibel ('springish'), so you have to 'click' (squeeze) the clip on the metal joystick with,
for example, a pipe wrench (see pictures). I needed a lot of practice, because you have to do too many thing at the same time with just two hands: holding the joystick-spring down, placing the clip and keep it in place so that you can squeeze it 'into' the metal joystick with the pipe wrench. While squeezing, the clip will expand a little bit following the outer side of the metal joystick and then back at its normal size again when its all around the stick. When it is in place it will hold the joystick together for ever (at least for the next 35 years again when I'm grey, old and still playing 'Pickaxe Pete' in the retirement home).

If anyone has a good tip for putting the clip on the stick more easy, I like to know  Smiley.

Hope you can do something with my info.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:17:26 PM by Elias » Logged
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

The US consoles use a different clip. I believe I have a few original spares. They are fully encircled, it's called a "push nut" and looks like this:

The ones for the Odyssey 2 controllers are darker than the above image example.

They simply push onto the stick (once the knob is removed) hence the name: "push nut"

A little more tricky to remove. Sometimes you need to carefully use a pliers to wiggle it out.
Elias
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »

The US consoles use a different clip. I believe I have a few original spares. They are fully encircled, it's called a "push nut" and looks like this:

The ones for the Odyssey 2 controllers are darker than the above image example.

They simply push onto the stick (once the knob is removed) hence the name: "push nut"

A little more tricky to remove. Sometimes you need to carefully use a pliers to wiggle it out.
These are also great and much better to handle. I could not find out where to buy these.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: