Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
August 12, 2020, 10:48:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Munchers AI  (Read 11093 times)
rico
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »

Hmm, I read the manual ( http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Magnavox_Odyssey_2/Manual/formated/K.C._Munchkin_-_1981_-_Magnavox.pdf ) and found this paragraph:

"When a MUNCHKIN munches a MUNCHIE that flashes in different colors on color TV, all of the MUNCHERS will turn purple and can be munched out by the MUNCHKIN until they return to their original colors."

Shouldn't this imply that the Munchers are "munchable" until they return to their original colour, and not pose any threat while purple or blinking?

How true is this pdf-manual to the original? I actually got the original cartridge today (Yay!), but only french manual  Roll Eyes
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 07:27:26 AM »

I'm not really sure. I have been killed by a ghost while in the blinking phase. Doesn't always happen though.

Btw, is this yours? : http://csdb.dk/release/?id=153117

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
rico

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »

I'm not really sure. I have been killed by a ghost while in the blinking phase. Doesn't always happen though.

Btw, is this yours? : http://csdb.dk/release/?id=153117

Blinking munchers can sometimes kill munchkin, sometimes be munched. My theory is that white munchers can be munched, cyan munchers kill you, but is hard to verifiy...

And yes, that is my work in progress. I put out a vice snapshot a couple of weeks ago, and someone apparently "cracked" it Cheesy
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »

And yes, that is my work in progress. I put out a vice snapshot a couple of weeks ago, and someone apparently "cracked" it Cheesy

Welcome to the C64 scene  Cheesy

Controls feel really nice, just like the original one. The game looks quite the same though the lines of the grid are narrower than in the original.
Also there is a little "mistake" in the ghost animations, when the ghost goes UP its antenna's should disappear.

Maybe you could include two options in the game: play it exactly like the original or play it with upgraded C64 graphics, more lives, different mazes, bonus rounds, interludes... you name it  Cheesy

Game is comming along nicely Smiley

rico

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »

Welcome to the C64 scene  Cheesy

Been in the C64-scene since mid 80th, but I didn't really expect a Vice snapshot to be worthy of a crack Tongue

Controls feel really nice, just like the original one. The game looks quite the same though the lines of the grid are narrower than in the original.
Munchkin is a bit too fast compared to the original, the Munchers have more correct speed - next on my TODO-list...

Also there is a little "mistake" in the ghost animations, when the ghost goes UP its antenna's should disappear.
*nod* That have been fixed some time back but was not included in the snapshot...
Maybe you could include two options in the game: play it exactly like the original or play it with upgraded C64 graphics, more lives, different mazes, bonus rounds, interludes... you name it  Cheesy
That is what I have been thinking about adding, a Retro-version and a "Arcade"-version or something like that. Will also try to add some SID-Music and sound effects of course.

Game is comming along nicely Smiley
Thanks!
Doug
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »

I've always felt that, with just one life, getting killed while the ghost is blinking is just unfair.  I wouldn't mind a game with powerups, like a freeze powerup that stopped the dots from moving, or a bad powerup to avoid that speeds up the dots, or a powerup that turns all the dots into power dots, or sends the ghosts back to the pen.... or a magnet powerup that draws the dots to KC....  Also while I wouldn't want maze pieces randomly appearing or disappearing, how about side-to-side tunnels that randomly appear?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:08:44 PM by Doug » Logged
rico

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 09:02:08 PM »

Of course my intention is to make the port aa close s possible to the original.

But adding other "game modes" feels like a fair addition to the port.

The blinking munchers thing is definately something I can live with, would be nice to know how the original game really implemented things...
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »

It will be nice to check it, later we can try other titles: Killer Bees, Timelord, Krazy Chase... Roll Eyes
rico

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »

I know some one else started on Freedom Fighter, but not sure how that want...

For a while I was thinking of going the other way around - porting one of my C64 games to G7000. But that might be for another life when I have eons of time  Tongue
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 01:05:36 AM »

For a while I was thinking of going the other way around - porting one of my C64 games to G7000. But that might be for another life when I have eons of time  Tongue

Thatīs a better idea.  Cheesy
To be honest I do not know much about the c64 universe, nor can I tell if it was released here. At the time, there was something called "market reserve" (dictatorship period) that aimed to limit imports and stimulate the local market, especially computer-related products. I think it has even caught the release of the G7400 (because of the computer module). The popular computers at the time were CP200, CP400, CP500, but in fact they were just clones disguised. Cool to know about Freedom Figthers, I love this game. If you find any image or game info, post here, please. Janzl had already introduced us a version of Cosmic Conflict, unfortunately I could not make any c64 emulator work. Keep us informed about the KC. Roll Eyes
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »

Which games did you make for the C64?

rico

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »

Which games did you make for the C64?

Well, to be honest I haven't released that many games on the C64 either, a Tetris clone and a variation of the tetris theme. But I did a game called "Break Down" that was fine and all but looking back at it now there are loads of things that could have been done better so I am (slowly) working on a "Break Down Reloaded".

Would be fun to try and do a variation of that on the Videopac...

I also started to work on another port, an old arcade game called "Vanguard" that AFAIK was only ported to the Atari consoles. Might also be fun to try...

But I Think doing something original that suits the Videopac is probably more rewarding Smiley

Too many projects and ideas, too little time Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: