Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 22, 2020, 11:30:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martian Threat  (Read 12992 times)
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: August 31, 2007, 06:25:50 PM »

Just uploading all the info i still got from videopac.org.

We'll the game was produced by a company called GST-video. They have also programmed these videopac+ titles: Super Bee, Norseman, and Blobbers and the never officiale released games: Interpol and Shark Hunter. The last 2 have been released by videopac enthusiast.
This game was formaly knows as 'jake', but this year it was discoverd that the real name is "martian threat".
I tested the game with steelballs from the videopac.org website here's the reveu:
Martian Threat
Allready on our second try we got our highscore into the 1000 points. It's graphical a great game. It doesn't use + graphics but it still is one of the most

inpressive graphical games that uses standard g7000 hardware.
For game play, well we didn't like it to much. The only thrill is to get a higher score every time you play. It is not very hard to get into 1000 points and

the game never is very tactical. What we did notice is that if you die with less then 1000 point, the end screen shows a ufo shooting at the earth, and when

the earth is hit it turns red.
The first time you get 1000+ points and you die you get a differnt ending.
This time there's a shot from earth that hits the ufo. The ufo then breaks into pieces. After this the only time you see this ending again is by getting a higher highscore.

What is know of GST-Video:
Comes from a interview with Jon Shuttleworth.
"We used a few of the designs that came from Magnavox but thought that the "peaceful" Europeans would like things more slanted to their "delicate" taste, so we either thought them up ourselves and had somebody make mock-ups, or we used a Swedish company in Vittslo (I've forgotten the name) to design the game, and then we had it programmed by a contract program company called GST, which was already doing a lot of serious program work for Philips. That's why they called it GST Video so as to distinguish it from the "real" program work. "

Screenshot can be found here: http://odyssey2.classicgaming.gamespy.com/db/game.php?gameid=124
picture of the cart http://members.home.nl/patrickselten/videopac/martian%20threat.jpg

8 bits of fun
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:42:43 AM »

I am happy to announce the release of this prototype game on cartridge in spring 2008. I have contact with a former programer of GST Video who will help me on the release. The game will come in "original" Videopac style like my previous releases Flash Point and Shark Hunter, as close as possible to the original.

Martian Threat for sure has not the very best gameplay of the Videopac games, but still it needs a release. I decided to bring it to the fans in spring, because we have Tutankham now, will see a broader release of Route 66 in the next time and Andy Ryal's release of Robot City in January. So I think spring 2008 will be fine.

Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »

And we, of course, are happy to hear that  Smiley

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:13:34 AM »

Very good news! Another released proto!!  Cheesy
Thanks Dieter!!!

Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:35 AM »

You're more than welcome to my Martian Threat artwork that I showed some time back in the old forum:

It doesn't have to say "Odyssey2" of course.   Wink
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:23:15 AM »

You're more than welcome to my Martian Threat artwork that I showed some time back in the old forum:

It doesn't have to say "Odyssey2" of course.   Wink
Very nice! I will come back to you in time. Thanks!!

Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:31:25 PM »

I'm very interested in the story behind GST-Video, how did they start and that sort of info, if you are able please let us know more of them.

8 bits of fun
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:50:29 PM »

I'm very interested in the story behind GST-Video, how did they start and that sort of info, if you are able please let us know more of them.

Sure! :-)

An interview will be on my website within the next few weeks.

Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 03:26:48 AM »

Cool! dieter strikes again!  Cool

Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 05:07:08 PM »

I like the idea that a former programmer who worked on this is willing to help with this release.

8 bits of fun
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »

I like the idea that a former programmer who worked on this is willing to help with this release.

Yes that's great. It was the same with Flash Point - Rex Battenberg who programmed it in the 80s worked with me on that release.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: