Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 11, 2017, 09:56:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using non-standard parts of characters  (Read 435 times)
Sdw
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: September 04, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »

I guess this is common knowledge, but I have been experimenting with putting other values than the "correct" (char * 8 ) - (Y / 2) in the character pointer, allowing me to display inbetween-parts of teh ROM chars.
This is a neat trick, and can be useful for a case I have. However, I get some really weird false overlapping of characters, ie. when I move another character in the vicinity (but not on top of) of my "special" character, I get the strange bugs that you get when overlapping normal characters.
Anyone know the particulars on how this works, and how to mitigate it?
LD
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »

From my tests, you can overlap 2 pixels of any direction (up,down,left and right) without problems, more than that you have the overlap glitch.
The problem, even the blank pixels overlap the graphics (see the image, green pixels is the overlapped ones).
I've talk with Kevtris about it (because he implement O2 in a FPGA, so he knows the internals timings) and he suggest to not do it as the timings are very sensible and the game could crash.
I recommend you to read his doc about hardware timings, there is a lot of useful information if you want to push the hardware to it limits.

Kevtris Doc :
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1751.0

I think even invisible chars still collide as it not based on pixels, but on X & Y position on screen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:19:53 PM by LD » Logged
Rafael
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »

From my tests, you can overlap 2 pixels of any direction (up,down,left and right) without problems, more than that you have the overlap glitch.

How I remember itīs possible overlap 2 pixels left or rigth, but itīs not possible to do up and down (considering the char are on the same X pos)
Sdw
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »

Perhaps a bit of a misunderstanding - I was talking about the size of the "non-standard" characters when it comes to overlapping. After some more experimenting it seems like the actual character output varies in size, I assumed it always showed 8 pixel in height, but from what I gather now, depending on what values you feed into the char-ptr you can actually get characters that are both larger and smaller than 8 pixels, and of course then adding or subtracting from the y-area that collision covers.
LD
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »

You're right. Change the height and the collision changes too. See Attack of TimeLord where the saucers are 4 (?) scanline height and flies at 1 pixel distance each other, any direction, without problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: