Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
June 20, 2019, 05:39:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Ozyr found the Odyssey2  (Read 4964 times)
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »

(no filler here, just making a post)  Wink

The video-game system that I'm most attached to emotionally is the Odyssey2. My father bought the system for me and my sister in the earlier 80's, after we had killed our RCA Studio II (that was my first VG system - looking back, I don't know why I like it back then). My dad had originally bought an Atari 2600 for us, but it died the first day we tried it out. Hard to believe, but true, so we returned the piece of junk to Sears (just a comment on that one machine). We shopped around a bit, and stumbled across the Odyssey2, and my father decided to by it.

At first, I found the games for the Odyssey2 to be rather average at best, with nothing being really spectacular. Nothing really bad either, but it needed a 'killer' game. Of course, Philips then came out with the Master Strategy Series, and that was all I needed! UFO was the first, and it blew me away. Some players complained about the control setup, but I took to it like a duck to water. If was just so much fun to play, and addictive as well - that auto restart helped in that regards. Plus, the part I liked best, is my friend with an Atari 2600 thought it played so much better than Asteroids on his Atari. And, in my humble opinion, he was 100% correct about that. I still like UFO to this day, and play it on occasion (yeah, growing up sucks in the regards to VG playtime).

During the early 80's, I worked part time at a local hotel, and I spent almost all my money buying games for the Odyssey2. I slowly ended up with almost every game for the system, including my favorites: K.C.'s Krazy Chase, Quest for the Rings, Attack of the Time Lord, Killer Bees, Pick Axe Pete, and Turtles, just to name some of them. While I agree that most of these game never looked as good as games on other systems, it was the fact that they were fun to play that mattered to me. When it comes to video games, I don't care what a game looks like, as long as it is fun to play!

So, time goes by, and the video game crash comes and goes. I still play my Odyssey2 through this, along with too many other systems that I picked up along the way. Enter then the start of a new Century, and the first Odyssey2  home-brew appears, much to my surprise. Amok was a good game, and it was nice to see someone actually doing something for the Odyssey. It took some a few more years after this, but the O2/VP home-brew market has really taken off. It may not be up there with 2600 releases, but there are enough each year now to make owning an Odyssey2 as much fun as it was back in 1983 - and some of these new games are the best so far!

Best part I like about the home-brews, is that I helped connect two people in creating one. That was Pack Rat Games and Ren?! I met Jared at a local gaming show, and he starting talking about how he'd love to get in contact with the guy that had done Pong for the Odyssey (ROM image online to start with). When I told him that Ren? was an online friend of mine, his eyes almost fell out of their sockets! (He'll probably deny this, but I do remember the expression on his face.) Of course, we all know how this ended, as Pong in now one of the many home-brews out there - and a really good version of Pong as well (which is not easy to do with a joystick)! Of course, I helped write the manual for Pong, and Ren?'s other release, Calculator. I still feel a bit of pride in creating the inside part of those little manuals (with thanks to Ren? for asking me to create them)!

Here's to the continued interest (even if it is a small niche) in home-brews (and released prototypes as well) for the Odyssey2/Videopac systems. May they live long into this new Century! And I hope I'm still able to play game before they nail the coffin shut!

P.S. Maybe I'll tell another short story on how I sold off almost my entire Odyssey collection in the first year or so of this Century. Big mistake, but I've finally got it all back, and much more as well (Brazil and Videopac).

Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:19:33 PM »

Ever is good read stories about Odyssey. I would like to tell us the story of mine, but my english is limited (I just kinow around 50 words Cry)

Some things I?ll never will forget: The first time I played PAP (and now waiting PAP2)
The first time I saw the QFTR box  in the store - a masterpiece.
The match I participed. This things made me choice the Ody.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:33:27 AM »

Thats an awesome and a nice story.  I love reading these. 

Its pretty cool, you eventually contributed to a manual of a game of the system you loved as a child up to today, that must be a pretty sweet feeling. 
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 07:26:50 AM »

Its pretty cool, you eventually contributed to a manual of a game of the system you loved as a child up to today, that must be a pretty sweet feeling.

To be honest, I love having done the two manuals for Ren?'s two Odyssey releases. I'm just glad he asked me to do them. I hope to do more some day... Heck, I'd even like to create my own game, but I think that is a ways off.

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:33:36 PM »

To be honest, I love having done the two manuals for Ren?'s two Odyssey releases. I'm just glad he asked me to do them. I hope to do more some day...

Exactly what do you did?
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:18:09 AM »

Exactly what do you did?

I created the inside of the instructions manual. The outside was U.S. based, I made the inside of the instructions Euro based (mainly because the games were made in the U.S., but were programmed from Europe).
Thus, I wrote the instructions for Pong and Calculator - sounds simple, but it is a time consuming thing - especially when you want it as perfect as possible. I hate errors in instructions.

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:50:56 AM »

Exactly what do you did?
I hate errors in instructions.

I also don?t like errors. The brazilians Ody?s manual are very good (portuguese - my native language) but in the Intellivision manual?s you?ll find a error by line. Shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: