Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 24, 2018, 10:17:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long time I was not here, but now I have nice information  (Read 404 times)
Spiderman
Played Munchkin once...

« on: June 23, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »

Hello

I was a long time not here. My healt is not so good the last 10 years. And I started a small webshop and it is very big now. Eye For Bricks, a webshop in Lego-parts.
More than one million parts in stock and 10 employees.

At the beginning of this year the Bonami game and computer museum asked me if I want to show my Videopac Collection in their museum.
I dicided to do that, and it is really nice to see all my 30 computers and 600 games.
This collection came in some newspapers and on some local TV-station.
I go also 1 time in a month to the museum and tell some nice stories to the visitors about Philips, Videopac and some more nice things.
I am then a guide for that day, and it is really nice to do that.
People are laughing en asking questions.

But a few weeks ago I got a message on facebook. Somebody had seen it on the local TV and want to ask me something.
I gave me Phone-number and within a few minutes I got a Phone-call.
This person wants to know if there is a working Spiderman in the Museum. He didn't know that I found the proto-type 13 years ago.
He told me that he had worked for Philips 35 years ago and he is now retired. He was in 1983 programmer for Philips Videopac and he programmed Spiderman in 1983 for Philips.
His name is Jan van Nuland and in 1983 he lived in Hoorn, that makes it more specials because I was born in Hoorn and right now I live there. Never been moved to another place.

He told me long stories.
I take a few parts.
- he had lots of problems to make it NTSC compatible. And on that point is was not finished.
- Philips made this game for Parker and when it was finished they sold the game for 250.000 guilders to Parker.
- there was a team of 4 programmers for many games.
- he has at this moment some roms with try outs.

I am  in the museum 30 june and 1 july.
1 july comes Jan van Nuland to the museum and what he do not know, that het gets from me the last avaible Spider-man I have in stock.

to be continued...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:13:07 AM by Spiderman » Logged
Luciano
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »

Hi!
Know a little of a Philips game... This is fantastic!

Tell more!!!
Rafael
Pedit5
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 06:09:23 PM »

Spiderman is an amazing game, I wish it had been released in those days. I think the power tower is one of the most impressive things, technically.
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »

Nice story. Wish i had the time to go to the musuem today, but the last weeks in june are jam packed.

Please share more info and photo’s of the meeting if there are any. Does he have more info about the other programmers and on more games he worked on.

8 bits of fun
Spiderman
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »

Here are some photo’s.
The story I will post within some days.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:57:40 PM by Janzl » Logged
Spiderman
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »

Get this photo from Jan van Nuland
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »

And there is the proof that Spiderman should always have been a Parker game - what I mentioned already back in the 2000s then when it was released in Videopac style and that was the reason why I released the box, label and manual in Parker style back then.

TomBeck
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »

I think, it was always clear, that this is a Parker game. There we all need no proof.

Parker had the rights for a Spiderman game. And when we see the Parker Atari VCS2600 game from Spiderman
and then our game, I think, there is absolute no doubt.

And BTW, Philips had never payed money for the Spiderman rights. Unfortunately.  Cheesy

Wink  Killed the Killer Bees  Wink
Spiderman
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »

So finally get some time.

I have spoken in real life with the programmer of Spiderman.
Jan was very surpriced and a little emotional about getting the last avaible spiderman, released by me. he also get an STC.
I showed him my Videopac Collection and he never seen so many games and consoles together.

he told me that they were with for programmers and he was the leader of the team till 1983. Jan Nelis, Graham Brown and Huib, do not know exactly.
He programmed lot of games and changed games from ntsc to Pal.
and they programmed games for Parker.
Jan Nelis was the stranger in the group and he made simple games and Jan van Nuland does not want to bring them on the market, playtag for example.

They programmed Qbert, frogger, Super Cobra and Popeye.
Also Videopac 31.
They also programmed lots of tools.
jan van Nuland was busy with Catburgal, a vertical scrolling game, look-a-like spiderman.
Then there was Parker and they want spiderman, so they stopped programming catburgal.
Lot of programming tricks are used in spiderman.
ofcourse I knew Spiderman was a Parker game, but I found it at Philips, so that was the reason to made it in Philips Style. So there do not need a proof that is was parker.
it is programmed by Philips and when it was almost finished Parker have to pay Philips. They do not want that, because one of the reasons the game has some problems with NTSC. Philips go to the court and they won. Parker have to pay Philips 250.000 guilders.

In the office of Jan there were 4 arcade cabinets of the 4 parker games, so they played a lot on it.
Jan was a lot of time on the road to visit arcade halls, so get some inspirence for new games.

After Spiderman parker wants more games on the Videopac: Star Wars and Amidar. Jan got the manuals from parker, but they never been programmed.

Videopac games ware programmed on Philips Micro Computer Development Systems. I got from Jan the 2 discs with some programs and tool on 5,25 inch disks.
I am looking for someone they can read them and safe them for the future.

I got also 2 epromprints.

But the most exiting are the 40 eproms with a lot of programs
I have test some, but I sent everthing to a friend to look what there is more.
Qbert proto
31 proto
Popeye proto
Spiderman
Bastion
Robot City
Black Hole
Catburgal
Sound Tools
Grid tool
Playtag (different version)
Himalaya game
Bastion Game
lot of parts from games, like the spiderman tower only scrolling.
Sprite editor.

within a few weeks I know what is more on the roms, but I am very happy with this roms.

I got also the G7000 from jan to repair, so he can play heis own game.

als last I got also an english version of the catalog with terrahawks on the front.
There are offset fault in de catalog, maybe a proto???

grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 07:20:09 PM »

Great info  Cool

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:45 AM »

Cool Cool Cool
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:21:48 AM »

Thanks for sharing

8 bits of fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print