Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
June 18, 2019, 11:44:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make music?  (Read 605 times)
RayXambeR
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: February 23, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »

I would like to know if it exist a tool that can help to compose music tunes for our beloved O2/Videopac?
A sort of tracker could be helpful for me as I am not a programer but more a musician (with real instrument but I know how to use tracker to make soundchip, I have already do that for some games on Colecovision and Amstrad CPC).
Also, I don't know the abilities of the sound processor of the O2. How many channels for example?

Thank you for any help!
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 03:07:08 AM »

I don't think there's a tool for that.
Odyssey 2 sound  capabilities are very restrictive.
You have only 1 channel, 1 "octave" (not sure if the beeps match the musical scale pitch)
You can do white noise, low and high pitch (useful for drums like in others 8 bit machines).

There's no music tracker as I'm aware. I did a code for play music, in my last released homebrew (Golf Tournament) but my lack of music skills not did justice for my code.

But the hardware is very limited. If you have a 1 channel short tune, at 1 octave range, I could try to convert it.  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:12:58 AM by LD » Logged
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 07:16:09 AM »

Afaik there are no trackers. There are some great musical examples though. Puzzle Piece Panic by Ted comes to mind. If Iím correct he had to shutdown all other processes of the O2/Vpac to free up enough processor time to play the music of PPP.

Rafael has also been experimenting with music so maybe he can elaborate a little.

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
TedFoolery
Played Munchkin once...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »

It only has one channel and only does noise or square waves (7 levels of volume), but natively has more than one octave - the Select Game tune alone is at least 3 octaves.
Natively, it can only do octaves and fifths.
Janzl is correct, I was able to get it to do more, but since there is no processor to handle the sound I had to use the main CPU to do everything, leaving no time to do anything else. In between notes you can do quick things like check the keyboard or action button -- maybe move an object or two at the risk of flickering -- but nothing time consuming.
I was able to achieve two notes at a time, but the more it did the longer the waves got and thus made the note range very low and in the bass range as you can hear in Puzzle Piece Panic.
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »

Best Musics on Videopac:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypw0lgPqtLo

Videopac digger
RayXambeR

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »

Thanks to all for these explanations. Has someone an example of code for a little tune?

Do you think I can use a tracker like Arkos Tracker and only use one channel. How I have to export the file in order to use it in a Videopac program?

I am not a programer but, if some developers here would like some tunes for some of their future games, I will be glad to try to make some, the challenge could be interesting! Wink
LD
Pedit5
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 12:04:47 AM »

I would like a title screen tune for my latest game Dungeon of Eternity.

Youtube : https://youtu.be/VaddvaIi8SA

I think will be easy for me adapt your music to my code, than you code it by yourself, as you'll need to know about binary, hexadecimal and compile the code which is a bit tricky.

a MIDI file would be great!
RayXambeR

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:24:10 PM »

mail sent with a mid file (just a first try in order to see if the file is ok to include it in a program).
but binary and hexadecimal is not a real problem for me (coding is more a problem!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: