Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
November 13, 2019, 12:59:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cartridge Repro's - Request for interest  (Read 654 times)
Mux
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: May 21, 2019, 06:34:33 PM »

Hi everyone!

So I had a company draw up a quote about creating reproduction cartridges. While the cartridges themselves are dirt cheap (about 50 cents/piece), the mould and shipping is what makes it come to (roughly) $5k for 1000 pieces. Is there any interest in me going forward with this? Ideally, I'd increase the run to 2000 or more but I would really need to be sure I can sell them :-)

Thoughts?

-Mux
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:48:53 AM »

I would think creating a repro O2 / VP cart would not be cheap? Not a simple case in the first place.

If possible, I'd be interested. Selling 1-2 thousand will be a stretch though (I think it could sell this many, but it would take years).

Myself, at $5 each (or less), I'd be open to buying at least 200 (possibly more). A lot depends on my financial situation (which is kind of so-so at this time).

P.S. Are these going to be VP molds, or O2 molds (the cases are different on the inside)?

Mux

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 03:42:26 AM »

They'd be O2 repros as I'm in the US. It wouldn't come with the metal inserts + springy things as that would prop up the price even more. Do O2 carts fit inside VP consoles?
I also posted on Atari-Age but if anyone has any other sites that might be good, I'm all ears. I'm willing to cover the cost if I can at least unload half of them, so 200 would go a long way! Obviously, I"m going to ask for a prototype / sample before placing an order but I'm going to give it a week or so before considering placing the order.
Also, I'm in the process of designing PCB's for 2k roms (or more, depending on what size is the most common). PCB's will be a *LOT* cheaper though, especially in volume..

-Mux
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:57:44 PM »

O2 PCBs do not fit VP cases, and vice versa. The inside is slightly different.

But if this can be done with quality, I dont see anyone complaining!

VideopacBelgium

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:46 PM »

I think we use new PCBs for a long time ago.  Smiley

Videopac digger
Mux

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:24:41 AM »

Gak! A 32k prom???

I haven't had too much interest so far (other than from Ozyr) so it's a bit of a toss-up whether or not I'll go through with it.. I'd really like to though.. Just can't afford to spot the entire amount upfront.

-Mux
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:02:23 PM by Mux » Logged
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:29:14 AM »

Similar PCB I use (Rene created them). It used a 32K ROM, as it is easy to get. Game code is padded to fit the EPROM.

Others might be interested in this, but you'd have to give them time (the forum is not used as much as it used to be - just how it is).

You could contact Tim from 2600 connection.

As for my 200, that is a rough figure. Probably would be a bit more, but my job situation makes me hold back (if I was gainfully employed, I'd say 500 for sure).

Mr. VideopacBelgium, you have replied here, but I don't see any interest? I would think this would be wanted by yourself, as you sell a decent amount of games for the VP!?
Would guess that he would have a decent amount of VP PCBs too, which as stated will not fit an O2 case (I wish they were the same, but they are not).

VideopacBelgium

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 03:42:32 PM »

:)Mr.Ozyr,
This was an answer to Mr.Mux when he says "I'm in the process of designing PCB's for 2k roms (or more...) ". Ren has already designed PCBs for VP and O2.
I'm not interested to order O2 PCBs from US (or from India) because the Customs taxes will be high. I'm buying PCBs in Germany.
I've not answered about the cartridges shells, I have a lot of spare cartridges.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:25:16 AM by VideopacBelgium » Logged

Videopac digger
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:01:14 AM »

Well there you have it. I'm the only guy interested, which I think is nuts. New shells would be great, wouldn't have to kill old collectable carts.

Mux - for now, maby put this on hold, unless you can find further interest. You could still bug 2600connection.com, and see if Tim would be interested. Possible.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:32:13 PM by Ozyr » Logged

Mux

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 09:24:12 PM »

Well there you have it. I'm the only guy interested, which I think is nuts. New shells would be great, wouldn't have to kill old collectable carts.

Mux - for now, maby put this on hold, unless you can find further interest. You could still bug 2600connection.com, and see if Tim would be interested. Possible.

I've asked the manufacturer to put this on hold until I can get more leads. @Ozyr, I just replied to atari-age as well but haven't reached out to 2600 connection, which I'll do after this. Eli at Piko-Interactive unfortunately also passed so it looks like this is probably not going to happen...

If anything changes, I'll keep everyone posted..
Mux

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »

Just reached out to Tim at 2600 connection to see if anything comes out of that.. WRT PCB's, in quantities of 50-100 or so, they're really going to be less than a buck, if that.

Anywho, we'll see where it goes.. The quote is good for 6 months or so...
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »

Just reached out to Tim at 2600 connection to see if anything comes out of that.. WRT PCB's, in quantities of 50-100 or so, they're really going to be less than a buck, if that.

Anywho, we'll see where it goes.. The quote is good for 6 months or so...

For this quote, was a brand new cart given for the possible mold? And how would they guarantee the quality?
Plus of course, no spring at the bottom (no issue in my book).

Mux

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 12:14:33 AM »

I sent them the best cartridge I had, so no scuffs, markings and what not. Label peeled of clean. Spring and the other plastic bit not included :-)

Offer is still good until December looking at my initial post.
Ozyr

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 05:13:55 AM »

Still curious on quality guarantee? Asking, as I may up what Id buy to at least 500, if that works for you? But a bit concerned about quality - if this failed somehow, that would hurt $$$ .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: