Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
August 04, 2020, 10:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schneider 74+ / G7401 no SELECT GAME, but games run  (Read 236 times)
Carlos Bragatto
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: January 20, 2020, 08:28:31 PM »

Guys

I just saved this rare SCHNEIDER VIDEOPAC 74+, which supposedly should have RF only output, but in fact does have RGB output (don't ask me why, from what I know the SCHNEIDER with RGB output should be the 741+, not the 74+). I bought this as a non-working machine, and it doesn't.

It had some weird issue on the RF board (the HUGE RF board) that when I turned it on, with the antenna/aerial cable connected, the console would not turn on.  If I disconnected it from the antenna, then it turns on. So I completely desoldered the RF module from the motherboard, and now the console powers on every time (using only RGB, of course).

Now here comes the big problem:

1) if I turn it on with no cartridge, it shows that blocky grey screen, all okay.

2) if I turn it on with a cartridge connected, I see *NO* SELECT GAME screen, but I hear the familiar notes. Nothing on screen. If I press RESET, then the game screen appears and I can play the games.

So at this point I have no idea of what could be wrong. I've already disassembled it, checked the board for obvious problems, removed and reinserted all socket components.

So I don't know, really. I really don't want to throw away such rare motherboard, it seems to be really close to be working.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos
Carlos Bragatto

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »

Oh just to add to the report above, I think it's worst than I thought and it might explain why I don't see the SELECT GAME (or QUEL JEU?) screen!

I went upstairs and got my C7060 multi cart and decided to try a Videopac Plus game. I could not see the "high resolution" graphics! Tried Killer Bees, Stone Sling, and then the final test:  decided to try Trans American Rally.

I see only the car Cheesy

So it's not initializing the Videopac Plus side of the console. Is there anyone here in Europe knowledgeable enough to try to fix this? Or should I start looking for a new board and keep the case (as it is a rare SCHNEIDER) ?

Thanks in advance

Carlos
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »

Hi Carlos,
Did you already read this?
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1754.0

Videopac digger
Carlos Bragatto

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:31:11 PM »

Hi Carlos,
Did you already read this?
http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1754.0

Yeah I read that. What apparently is happening is that I somehow have the BIOS working, because the "G7400" is working, and on Trans American Rally, it plays a tune that I believe it DEPENDS on the console running at 5MHz, which is the PLUS speed, so I think that there is something that is not initializing the PLUS video chip.

Now I need to understand what component does that.
VideopacBelgium

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »

I will ckeck my schemas.
I remember I've made a switch PLUS/NON PLUS and I can swap during a game.

Videopac digger
VideopacBelgium

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »

http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1394.0

http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1430.0

Videopac digger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: