Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 24, 2018, 08:07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freedom Fighters!/#39/Defensores Da Liberdade!  (Read 11433 times)
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« on: December 03, 2007, 02:47:28 AM »

As a favor to my Freedom Fighting Friends, December's game of the month is Freedom Fighters!/#39/Defensores Da Liberdade!

I will REALLY need some help with this subject.  I did not have this game as a kid and have only played it once when it first arrived with a bunch of other games I won in an auction.  Here is what I know from what I have read: It is losely based on the popular Atari game "Defender".  Like many games of the 80's it takes place in outerspace and you are in control of a spacecraft trying to rescue people in squares while shooting the bad guys.

Please share your thoughts, memories and hints.
grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:41:28 PM »

Thanks Rick  Smiley This was the game I played the most as a kid, it was my favourite of the 12 games I had.

One thing I do remember is that this game can suffer from invisible mines! Sound familiar to a certain 'arcade' game? I used to think this happened because when you shoot one mine in a set, they all go, but I'm not sure about that now.

One joystick gives you a green ship that flies forward like defender, but I didn't use this one much. The other joystick keeps you flying round the screen. Once you pass 100 the speed noticibly increases.

I used to play by having my finger permanently on the fire button, this seemed to be the best way to play. Unless the purple prisoner ship appeared, then stop firing as this is worth 20 points so should be caught rather than shot!

Sometimes I would just try and shoot ships for 5 points, and avoid low value mines at 1 point, just to show how good I was! I knew that actually my console was linked directly to a real alien built drone out in space, and they were using the human race to defeat their enemies as we had superior combat flying skills to their own.

Also, try and stay in the middle of the screen as the ships and mines appear from the edges.

One trick I tried a few times was to put my ship to the edge of the screen and then go into 'green' mode so I had more time to see the little sods coming! Just remember not to turn around.

I seem to remember getting into the 200s, but I'm sure plenty of you will beat that over Christmas...

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »

I have never played this game as a kid so I'm missing the basic "Freedom Fighter Academy" training a lot of other folks here probably have.

I was considering this game for the forum arcade so I tried it and found it to be very very VERY hard. My score didn't get over 80 points. But I am not very good at these kind of games.

Still I think it is a very well programmed game considering the limitations of the 8048 processor. The action is great and the game can be very addictive.

Focusing on resqueing the prisoners nearly always gets me killed  Cry.

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:27:25 PM »

Okay, I know no one will believe me, but I knew that Rich was going to pick FF for this month!

I played a decent amount of this game back in the days, but it was not my favorite. I have to be honest in that I have not played it in years, so it will be a renewed experience in December.

My thoughts on Freedom Fighters:
- Rather hard game to play. Getting high scores is no easy ride.
- In regards to grgh's comment on invisible mines, there aren't any (at least I never had that issue). What I do remember is wreckage from things that explode, which can destroy your ship. I could be wrong....
- I personally never cared for the "conventional" method of moving around. The screen always got way too crowded after a short period of time.
- "hyperspace drive" was how I normally played it, basically treating it like Defender, going only in one direction and shooting what I could - and trying to grab the trapped blue guys as they flew by.

Points, for those not looking at a manual:
RESCUE OPERATION: 20 POINTS
PULSAR WARSHIP: 5 POINTS
DRONE MINE: 1 POINT
EXPLODING WRECKAGE: 1 POINT

One thing to note here, there are two versions of Freedom Fighters, thus there will be competition for two sub-scores:
- Attack Mode: Press 1, and you can move and shoot.
- Evasion Mode: Press 0, and you have no lasers. You must dodge thing an rescue the "captive" guys (people) to gets points. I'm not positive (because I haven't played this in a while, but I think you get points slowing as you evade things too).

My best score in the old days where:
Attack Mode: 228
Evasion Mode: 325

Which goes to show how hard this game is. I wonder if I'll even come close to my old scores!
 Huh?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:50:56 PM by ozyr » Logged

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 09:09:45 PM »

Okay, I know no one will believe me, but I knew that Rich was going to pick FF for this month!

The hint I dropped last month might have helped.   Wink  What can I say; I like to keep the forum members happy!

Thanks for all of the early comments.  I still have to find my cartridge and manual.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig it out in the next couple of days.
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:20:10 PM »

Manual, ack!. Just go to my site....  Tongue

Or easier, here they are (just ignore the two player comments, and play in regular or Hyperspace mode):

FREEDOM FIGHTERS!
(One or more players)
ATTACK MODE (Two player version)

Press 1 on the alpha-numeric keyboard.

You are now on the flight deck of your Earth Federation starship. Your craft is displayed at the center of your TV screen. Player 1 is the pilot. Player 2 is the co-pilot.

Player 1 uses the left hand control which directs your starship's conventional space drive system. Your ship will travel in the direction you move the joystick.

Press the action button to fire your laser cannon.

Player 2 uses the right hand control which activates your ship's hyperspace drive system. Move the joystick to the right or left depending on the direction you wish to warp through hyperspace. Your ship will remain in the same vertical plane of the screen during a hyperspace warp. Move the joystick forward to go towards the top of the screen. Pull it to you to go to the bottom of the screen. Your ship's hyperspace drive system (right hand control) will over-ride its conventional space drive system (left hand control). The action buttons on both hand controls will fire the laser cannon at any time.

The hyperspace drive system is employed when you need extra speed to avoid enemy attack or when you have the opportunity to rescue one of the captives from a confinement crystal.

The Empire's Pulsar warships will attack by sowing constellations of hunter-killer drone mines along your course. Your ship will disintegrate on contact with a drone mine or Pulsar warship.

The Pulsar warships and drone mines will disintegrate if hit by your lasers.

You free a captive each time your starship makes contact with one of the orbiting confinement crystals which show up in purple on color TV. (Color may vary according to individual TV adjustment.)

Scoring:
RESCUE OPERATION: 20 POINTS
PULSAR WARSHIP: 5 POINTS
DRONE MINE: 1 POINT
EXPLODING WRECKAGE: 1 POINT

The score of the game in progress is displayed at the lower right hand corner of the screen. The Pulsar warships will increase the ferocity of their attack as your score grows higher.

--------

EVASION MODE (Two player version)
Press RESET and then press 0 (zero) on the numeric section of the keyboard.

Your lasers are now inoperative and you are entirely dependent on your talents for evasive action.

Player 1 uses the left hand control (conventional space drive). Player 2 uses the right hand control (hyperspace drive).

The longer you can evade the Pulsar warships and their drone mines - the higher your score. You also receive a 20 points bonus for each successful rescue operation.

As your score grows higher, the Pulsars will increase the intensity of their attack.

----

SOLO COMBAT
Press RESET and the press 1 (ATTACK MODE) or press 0 (EVASION MODE).

Play using the left hand control for conventional space drive or the right hand control for hyperspace drive.

As you grow more proficient, start alternating between the hand controls to switch from conventional space drive into hyperspace and then back again.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:40:04 AM by ozyr » Logged

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 09:56:10 PM »

Thanks Ozyr!!!
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:53:27 AM »

Wow, I can see why my old Attack Mode score of 228 was as high as I got. Tough game.

I played a bit today, and got up to 205 in Attack Mode. I'm shooting to beat my old 80's score! I used the regular drive, not hyperdrive, which involves a lot of crafty dodging. I also noted that when you destroy objects, many times other objects nearby will disappear as well. And, if I'm not mistaken, the game gets faster every  100 points (which is why I died after 200 - the screen goes nuts with enemy stuff).

Nice thing though, lots of onscreen things, and no flicker - like on that other popular gaming system!  Tongue

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 07:13:01 AM »

I agree, it is a tough game!  So far my best score was 111 in evade mode and 103 in attack mode.  I only played for a few minutes but I don't think I'll do a whole lot better.  Sometimes the purple squares shows up often and other times it seems like you go on for a long time without seeing one.  I haven't tried the hyper drive yet  Wink
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 07:48:24 AM »

Score update: 195 in hyperdrive w/gun, 125 staying still w/gun, 220 Evade in hyperdrive, 214 Evade without leaving first screen. 

Game improvements: An in-between speed!  It seems I'm either going too fast or to slow.  I have adopted the "Frogger" method of tapping the joystick while in hyperdrive to move without going too fast.  Evade mode seems to be easier. 

I never imagined this game would be so fun.  If any of you had not played it before please take the time to do so.  It gets VERY difficult once you break 100 points.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 11:06:49 PM »

I promissed to myself wait  my Tut to turn on my Ody. Today I played FF and I scored 324 points.I remeber when mamma wake up me, when I was a kid, and tell me your father bring you more carts. I was owned my Ody a few days and I just had the VPac #1 equivalent. My father bring me 4 carts, and it was FF, UFO, Showndown 2100 A.D and Smitheerens. FF dont?call me attention, actually it?s my fav (but it allways change) game and the closest to arcade felling.
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 04:10:56 AM »

Today I played FF and I scored 324 points.

Wow, that is really good, IMHO.

Today, I got 229 in attack mode, so I beat my old 80's score by one point!!!  Tongue

Will try to do better before the month is up!

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 08:20:26 PM »

Today I played FF and I scored 324 points.

Wow, that is really good, IMHO.

Today, I got 229 in attack mode, so I beat my old 80's score by one point!!!  Tongue

Will try to do better before the month is up!

I just use to play it in attack mode ever using the blue spaceship, since I keep a TV for Ody use I have playing it usualy. Actually my goal is 400 points, two or three weeks ago I was made 371, it?s the highest score I was made. I think FF is also one of best Ody games in terms of sound.
Ozyr
Give this man a Jopac!

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 07:27:29 AM »

Well, it is the 9th now, and I got 279 in Attack Mode. brand new high score for me - so far. This game is fun, but it gets so darn tough as you pass 200. I spend half the time dodging stuff (well, more than 1/2 the time).

One thing I noticed which makes it harder, is that when you move left or right, you drift for a tad bit before you stop moving. Only thing I noted that helps, is if you move slightly up or down (after moving left or right), it stops the 'drift'.

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »

323 in Evasion mode!!! I mostly used the hyper-drive (every time I hear that word all I can think about is Star Wars).

I'm still not very good at using attack mode.  It seems like it takes longer to rack up points,  or maybe its just my bad shooting  Undecided 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: