Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
July 16, 2020, 04:19:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Poll
Question: Which style and number should the release of Martian Threat have?
Videopac 65 (to replace Spider-Man) - 6 (28.6%)
Videopac 66 (to replace Route 66) - 1 (4.8%)
Videopac 67 (next free number) - 13 (61.9%)
In Videopac style, but no number - 0 (0%)
Not in Videopac style, but in "homebrew" style - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martian Threat: How would you like it to be released?  (Read 23693 times)
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 09:59:12 AM »

Martian Threat was going to be the 2nd release on my Retrogenesis label, but amazingly after I announced Robot City was going to be released Dieter decided to release Martian Threat., I bought and own the prototype, if anyone should be releasing this it should be Retrogenesis and not Dieter.

Okay, sounds like we got some issues here, but that is mainly between you and Dieter.

From my point of view, Dieter has done work on this (probably for months now), and announced the upcoming release. If you had planned on releasing this, you should have announced earlier. JMHO.

I really hate to see two people fighting over a Proto release here. Frankly, just deal with it and move on. Life is far too short, and I don't want to see two people releasing the same game.

Welcome to the world of 'they beat me to it.' I've been there, done it, and just went my way.
No, I didn't release a game, but people have beaten me in putting things onto the web. I've got new people here posting O2/VP instructions, which I was pretty much the only person doing some years ago. Do I like it, not really, but the material is not owned by me - so I have no right to complain (unless they steal graphics that I worked on - that bothers me - and I've confronted it a few times). And I have plans to do better things down the line.

Oh well, just my two bits.

Just work it out (in private preferably -we don't need fighting on the O2/Vp forum - please!)

ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 01:15:14 PM »

Just a sugestion: Andy could make both releases RC and MT with the docs created for Dieter, as VP 65 and VP 66 or VP 66 and VP 67... Again, just a sugestion.

This is not an option as Andy is planning his releases not in Videopac style, but in "Retro Genesis" style.

Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »

Both of you guys should release the game.  Maybe one could use the Odyssey 2 style box, and the other could use the Videopac style? 

I don't think a "release-competition" would be a good idea.

We haven't had this situation before, Packrat seems to release only homebrew games, and Nico and Richard (who've done a few releases) are out of the Videopac business. Does anyone know how things like this are handled for games from other classic consoles? I think that the person who announces a release first, has the "right" to release it first, provided he's really serious about it and has the possibility (knowledge, equipment, etc.) to actually do it within a reasonable time (a year or so).
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 01:51:09 PM »

Just a sugestion: Andy could make both releases RC and MT with the docs created for Dieter, as VP 65 and VP 66 or VP 66 and VP 67... Again, just a sugestion.

This is not an option as Andy is planning his releases not in Videopac style, but in "Retro Genesis" style.

Well, I have no plans to buy RC or MT for while. Anyway maybe some things needs to be discussed. The Ody/VPac world is very well defined. European people like the VP design while US and brazilian like O/O2 design. It?s not like the Atari world where each game have a diferent form, label, box size, cover etc. I ever think the most of people here like to see both RC and MT with VP style (well, I liek to see a Ody cover), maybe have no sense release it with a diferentt cover, it?s OUR WORLD. Other point, make the homebrew thing like a passion thing, don?t make it a job. It?s a mistake and Richards showed it.
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »

If the game is released with number 67, I think Route 66 should be re-released with the 66 number.
If only fifteen "66" were made, and then 50-75 from number 67......  Cry

What about all the other collectors that wanted to buy that Route 66, but never could?

Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »

Videopac 61 and 62 were released in limited quantities too.

A re-release of Route 66 will look different from the first release (especially the manual), so it might be strange to give it the same number as the first release.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 01:36:48 AM by Rene_G7400 » Logged
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »

Some time back there was a very acrimonious feud between AtariAge and Hozer Video Games over repros, homebrews, etc. etc., centering around programmer royalties for homebrews, legality of repros, and so on.  The stuff that came out during that fight didn't make either side look terribly good by the time the dust settled.  We don't need somethng like that to happen here; the Atari community might be large enough to withstand a big rift like that, but I don't think the same is necessarily true of the VP/O2 community.  This isn't a big enough group to divide and conquer like that.

Maybe we need to come up with an agreed-upon set of gentlemen's rules for handling repro and homebrew releases so this sort of thing doesn't crop up again.  Of course, I suppose that's easy for me to say when I'm not the one actively in the middle of the disagreement. 
WaxyChicken
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 08:07:57 PM »

To me Renumbering games - or replacing a game on the list
with another version/reprog - is like saying the first release
was worthless.
It just feels like an insult to the original programmer.

Instead of numbering home brews, how about AA lettering them? 
This way you can still keep track of if you've collected every game but not confuse them with the true vintage games.

For Example:

---My Videopac Games---
1 Race - Spin-out - Cryptogram
2 Pairs - Space Rendezvous - Logic
3 American Football
5 Blackjack
AA DEMO "Hello World"
AB DEMO "Hello World" using tables
A...
AZ Snoopy's Revenge
BA Bezerker VP+

just a thought...

I'm a pain in the butt guy who asks millions of questions because I want to learn EVERYTHING.  When was it made?  what if you drop it in soda?  Can it melt? Will it run on beer?  Is it friendly to poulty? If you invert it, will it run code backwords?  Do the trees moving make the wind blow?
- Cluck
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 03:24:42 AM »

Not a bad idea, it also ensures people what games are official and not.
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2007, 07:18:27 AM »

If we're going to start doing "lettered" numbers...let's use actual hex code.  What the heck, why not?
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2007, 07:39:02 AM »

To me Renumbering games - or replacing a game on the list
with another version/reprog - is like saying the first release
was worthless.
It just feels like an insult to the original programmer. VP+

Depends on the situation. It is unfortunate that we got some carts numbered in certain ways. As for saying the first release was worthless, I don't agree, but that is just my opinion.
In the regards of Route 66, I do think it should (and probably will) be re-released without a #. Those few who got the original now have a special collectors item, simple as that. I know it sucks for those who didn't get one, but I think going this route is the best way (and I'm not saying that just because I have one of the 15 ). I'd say it even if I wasn't lucky enough to get one of those few. When it is re-released, I will buy that copy too, with hopefully a much better manual, one darn sticker for the cart, and proper instructions that actually match the game!

I agree with Mr. Phosphor that we should come up with some type of rules. This would avoid this in the future. Problem is, what should the rules be, and would people stick to them

As for using letters for Homebrews, I like the idea, and I especially like PDFs suggestion of using Hex Numbers. Makes sense to me!
 Cool
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 07:41:21 AM by ozyr » Logged

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »

The problem with the rules is that it can be breaked. If the person who will made the release decides, for example, release it using an existent Atari cover, who can impede. When we?re planning release Route we wished to see how the manual will be, but I never see it. To be honest it?s no matter to me, I really don?t want to receive a trash. The people who loves the Ody and make the releases not only for money know how make the right thing.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »

Hex code would be pretty sweet.  Maybe could we use 1337 sometime?  lol
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »

Well I have had a good long hard think about this and I have taken all of the comments on board from various people.  I will be releasing Martian Threat on the Retro Genesis label in 2008 at some point. So Dieter, good luck, only next time please answer private messages as this really pi$$es me off. Life is too short to be worrying about things like this argument.

I have 12"
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »

So we will have 2 releases of Martian Threat?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: