Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
June 05, 2020, 02:38:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Poll
Question: Which style and number should the release of Martian Threat have?
Videopac 65 (to replace Spider-Man) - 6 (28.6%)
Videopac 66 (to replace Route 66) - 1 (4.8%)
Videopac 67 (next free number) - 13 (61.9%)
In Videopac style, but no number - 0 (0%)
Not in Videopac style, but in "homebrew" style - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martian Threat: How would you like it to be released?  (Read 23445 times)
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« on: December 19, 2007, 08:54:15 AM »

Ok friends, as we are planning the cartridge release of the prototype game Martian Threat which was designed by GST Video back in the 80s, I'd like to ask the community how the release should look like.

We have had many different release forms of former prototype games over the last years. Nico Sapin and myself tried to release the games as close as possible to the originals. Richard's release of Mission Impossible had it's own new style (cardboard box). Andy is planning the release of Robot City also in a different new style.

So I'd like to give you five options to vote for the release of Martian Threat:

Videopac 65 (to replace Spider-Man)
Bas Kornalijnslijper released Spider-Man as Videopac 65 but I read many posts and got many emails from people who are not happy that this Parker game was released in (some kind of) Videopac style. Some people suggested to release Martian Threat as Videopac 65 to replace Spider-Man, so I want to give you this as option.

Videopac 66 (to replace Route 66)
Some people also were not happy with the release of the homebrew Route 66 in Videopac style with Videopac number. I know that many of you don't want homebrews in the Videopac numbering scheme. Beside the fact that most people are not happy with Richard's release at all (bad packaging, very low quantity), there will be another release of Route 66 in 2008. If the authors of Route 66 (Rafael and Rene) decide that the new run of the game should again be released as Videopac 66, then this option is void of course!

Videopac 67 (next free number)
This would be a logical option: Release Martian Threat in Videopac style with the next free number.

In Videopac style, but no number
This would be my proposal for all homebrew games: Release them as close as possible to the original Videopac style, but with no number. But maybe some of you would also like to see former prototypes like Martian Threat without number?

Not in Videopac style, but in "homebrew" style
The last option would be to release the game in a new style like Richard did with Mission Impossible and Andy is planning with Robot City.

I hope that most of the forum members will vote here so that we will have a representative result.

Info: You can vote for only one option but it is possible to change your vote later.

dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »

Hi,

I prefer number 65, so Spiderman was a Parker game and 66 is a homebrew.

Thanks for giving us these options! Wink

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »

In my humble opinion only the Philips/Videopac/Odyssey prototypes should receive numbers. 
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

Martian Threat is a prototype. Wink

Philips/GST     -         Jake  (AKA Martian Threat)       PR  [X][-][-]

RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »

Martian Threat is a prototype. Wink

Philips/GST     -         Jake  (AKA Martian Threat)       PR  [X][-][-]
Yes, I know.  I meant that it should receive a number but I guess my message was unclear.  Sorry.   
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:31:28 PM »

I think homebrews should NOT get a Videopac number. A new release of Route66 will NOT get a Videopac number.

Spiderman might be a Parker game, but in Brazil the Parker games were released by Philips too, so I don't have a problem with the Videopac number.

I think prototype games should be released as close to the originals as possible, including Videopac number.

So I would prefer Martian Threat to be Videopac 66, but I wouldn't mind if it will be Videopac 67.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 07:02:10 PM by Rene_G7400 » Logged
list
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »

This would be a logical option: Release Martian Threat in Videopac style with the next free number.

imo like them or not 65 and 66 have been released and theirs nothing you can really do about it so im voteing for the next number ( 67 )
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:15:05 PM by list » Logged

ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »

Good points so far, and they comply with my thoughts. But keep your opinions and votes coming! :-)

mjb
Post Axe Pete!

Another Year More Videopac To Colllect

mark.bodiella BarmyfishUK
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:45 PM »

I have to agree with LIST, No's 65 & 66 have been used so 67 should be the next one used

Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 06:12:49 AM »

I'd like to see another "homebrew" style release, just so my MI/PT cover artwork doesn't wind up being an oddball orphan.   Roll Eyes  But this being a prototype, I can see why most everyone wants it to have a real number with the VP graphics and so on.

Ah well, I can always wait for the next homebrew.   Wink
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 08:43:29 AM »

PDF, no matter which design the release will have, your cover artwork looks great and should be used in some way!

Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 11:45:30 AM »

imo like them or not 65 and 66 have been released and theirs nothing you can really do about it so im voteing for the next number ( 67 )

Yes, I have to agree with this even thought I am also not to happy with the way Route66 was released as I understand the programmers are neither. It went in a bit of an odd way. But then, it is there and that's that.

I think prototypes should be released with the videopac number. Homebrew's should be released the way it's programmer(s) like best. Althought I personnally prefer the Vpac ond/or Ody look. It makes it so much nicer to look at.  Grin

Ps, the way Phosphor Dot Fossils did the idea with the "Lost treasures series" with the original creator on the cover is also very very nice.

I wonder what kind of a game Videopac 69 is gonna be...  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 11:50:07 AM by Janzl » Logged

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »

If it is a proto, it should have a number no?

ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »

Dieter,

Considering you don't even own the prototype to Martian Threat you should not be releasing it at all!! I have emailed you numerous times about this and now you release it Angry Don't you think you ask permission from the people that own the prototype?? You mention that you have spoken to some old programmers who may have programmed this??? Were is your evidence?? Maybe after not answering my emails you may give me some answers in public?

I have 12"
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 03:18:12 PM »

If he doesn't own it, how did he get it?  If it's a prototype, whats stopping it from getting a number?  I thought only home brews don't get numbers. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: