Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 26, 2020, 08:38:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Poll
Question: Which style and number should the release of Martian Threat have?
Videopac 65 (to replace Spider-Man) - 6 (28.6%)
Videopac 66 (to replace Route 66) - 1 (4.8%)
Videopac 67 (next free number) - 13 (61.9%)
In Videopac style, but no number - 0 (0%)
Not in Videopac style, but in "homebrew" style - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martian Threat: How would you like it to be released?  (Read 24115 times)
grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »

Perhaps we should have a system where people donate cart cases / pcb's to Homebrewers and in turn they get a reduction in the cost of the game?

Wink

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »

Perhaps we should have a system where people donate cart cases / pcb's to Homebrewers and in turn they get a reduction in the cost of the game?

Like a coupon! lol
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »

Can we call it a 'coupac'?

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »

Can we call it a 'coupac'?

Yeah!  I like it.
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2008, 05:44:43 PM »

Martian Threat had it's debut at Eurocon/Retrob?rse last Saturday in Karlsruhe and is NOW available via mail order at www.classic-consoles-center.at Smiley

Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »

And it looks like another splendid one again! Smiley. Order send!

Congratulations Dieter!

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »

What a surprise! I didn't expect this release so soon! Congrats again for your work, this Martian Threat looks really nice!!

Order sent!  Wink

ptol
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »

It's the first time I read this discussion about those 2 games. Let me tell you a story guys:

The year is 1997. A friend of mine, Marco Kerstens, wants some Atari stuff from me. As a trade he gives me 2 Videopac prototypes, one called 'Jake' and one called 'Robot City' so I can make a copy of both games for myself. He got them from a huge Videopac collection he found in Eindhoven.

As I'm not able to do it myself, I send the prototypes to John Dondzilla, USA, who makes 3 copies of each game for me, puts them in carts with a nice Odyssey2 style label on them and sends them back to me, including the original prototypes from Marco. John is very pleased with the new found games and he asks me if he can put the games on his Multicart, which is okay.

11 years later I read this discussion and it makes me smile a bit. I can prove my story, as I still do have the Odyssey2 style carts John made for me and two lose EPROMS with the code. Maybe John remembers this story.

That's my story about 'Martian Threat' and 'Robot City', games which I already own 11 years now!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:50:49 PM by ptol » Logged
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »

That is an awesome story!  I am glad these protos surfaced.  I wonder how many are still out there, or lost.
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »

Hi ptol!

A very interesting story! I think you should post it in a new thread at "Stories"   Wink

Do you have some pictures of your original EPROMs?

ptol
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »

Hi ptol!

A very interesting story! I think you should post it in a new thread at "Stories"   Wink

Do you have some pictures of your original EPROMs?

Remember, this is only a copy (Robot City) of the original EPROM (I do not own the original prototypes).

I do have 2 homebrew carts with sockets on them to fit loose EPROMS. This EPROM fits on a 8Kb cart (I am not that technical, but you get the point).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:26:46 PM by ptol » Logged
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2008, 12:52:51 AM »

Ha the dutch version of robot city would have been called robot stad. What a surprise  Cheesy.
Nice story.

8 bits of fun
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »

Hmmmmm.... I wonder if me and Seob own the originals?? Huh? Huh?

I have 12"
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »

Hmmmmm.... I wonder if me and Seob own the originals?? Huh? Huh?
Well, I think one way to find out is to check the kind of eprom you own. I am sure that the ones produced nowadays are different from the ones in the eighties. When I tested games for Philips the eproms always had a little round "window" on the topside. I don't know if modern eproms still have that. Maybe Rene or Dieter are able to recognize such things as they often work with eproms.
Also I think that, back then, a lot of "prototypes" were copied by Philips employees for private use. I am sure they are exactly the same as the ones used as real prototypes for testing, convincing Philips to release it etc... etc..

So it must be hard to tell if you own an original prototype. I guess it is almost impossible unless you find some old Philips employee who can say "Yes this is the exact one we used as a prototype".

This one looks like an original one from the eighties. If you look carefull you can see the circle underneath the label.

I have seen some pictures of prototypes who look very much the same as the ones I had when I was about twelve. The little round window mostly with a sticker on top with the name of the game on it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:28:17 AM by Janzl » Logged

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
ptol
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »

Yep, there is a small round window beneath the label. But what difference does it make who owns the 'original' prototype? In my opinion it's just great that these 'lost' games are discovered and published after all those years... I started playing Videopac 28 years ago, damn... I'm getting old :p

Will soon post some pics of my collection of which I'm very proud :p
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: