Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 24, 2018, 10:18:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedway!/Race/Formula 1!  (Read 5770 times)
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« on: June 02, 2008, 06:53:56 AM »

It's time to get back to the roots of the Odyssey 2/Videopac.  Speedway!/Race/Formula 1! is the game of the month!  Lets see how many perfect scores we can get. 

For most of us this game was the first we ever played on the system.  It was included with the system(s) with two other game.
grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »

Just in case you haven't spent hours doing this one like I did, there is a pattern to the cars so you just need to get used to it, and holding down the fire button makes you go faster.

I also seem to remember it is possible to start exploding on the wall and kinda get stuck there, but that might have been in Spinout.

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »

This game is a copy of the AY-3-8603 chip, which is kind of a Pong chip.

For the + version of this game they've changed some colors of the original graphics, which is also visible when you play it on a non-plus console.
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »

For the + version of this game they've changed some colors of the original graphics, which is also visible when you play it on a non-plus console.

Can someone please post a pic of the Plus version?  I have always wondered what it would look like. 

There is a pattern to the game but it is easy to become hypnotized by the moving cars and end up in an accident.  I can/have made it all the way but it usually takes me a couple of tries to warm up.  The game has two speeds, one for beginners and one for experts.  We can post scores for both.  I'll be interested to see if the scores are higher or lower for the Odyssey versus the Videopac.  I'm not sure if the different technology will make a difference in scores but we will hopefully find out.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »

Can someone please post a pic of the Plus version?  I have always wondered what it would look like. 

You can find them on Dieter's website: http://www.dieterkoenig.at/ccc/po/s_po_games_01+.htm
(from: http://www.dieterkoenig.at/ccc/ )
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »

Thanks.  I like the plus version.   Cool
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:07:55 PM »

Oops, of course you can find the screenshots on this website too!  Embarrassed
http://www.videopac.nl/games/videopac/01+/vpac_screenshot_001+.php
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »

I've been doing paperwork all evening which meant I needed some filing sleeves, which happen to be in a box between a G7401 and a box of videopacs  Smiley

So I decided to have a quick go since all you need to do with a videopac console is flick the power switch, plug the cart in and press a button or two (ok admittedly it helps of the console and the screen are on the same 4-way and the aerial is always connected  Roll Eyes)

Amazingly with just the one go I had a perfect round! So that is the Philips PLUS version on level 1 for two minutes : 2391 points.

It used to be much easier with my old joysticks as they had the square hole, this one has the star shaped hole and I'm sure I'd soon wear that down playing speedway.

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 10:21:35 PM »

Ren?!! Angry how could you forget. You're gonna have to buy me a drink on the next Retro-game-event or I am gonna be a bitch all day gnagnagna  Evil Wink
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:41:03 AM by Janzl » Logged

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »

Being pleasantly surprised by RickO2's choice for game of the month I decided to make a version for the forum arcade. This version only contains Race / Speedway.

For more info read here.

Or start playing immediately overhere.

Have fun!

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:12:35 AM »

Level one 2396 - no crashes.
Level two 6706 - two crashes (I think) 

I'm having more difficulty with level two than I thought.  I know I completed it many times when as a kid.  The month is young...
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:09 PM »

A doubt about Speedway high score, here in Brazil all the kids get as maximum score 7162, or something like that. It?s seems the  highest score possible. Anyway I saw in a Odyssey adventure, in Ozyr site, someone in US gets 9991:
http://www.ozyr.com/o2adv/pages/sum83p13.html
 How it?s possible, there?s some diference between the versions?
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 04:55:10 AM »

A doubt about Speedway high score, here in Brazil all the kids get as maximum score 7162, or something like that. It?s seems the  highest score possible. Anyway I saw in a Odyssey adventure, in Ozyr site, someone in US gets 9991:
http://www.ozyr.com/o2adv/pages/sum83p13.html
 How it?s possible, there?s some diference between the versions?
I'm not sure.  I would also like to find out.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »

Maybe they did it in highest gear.  I can't do it in the highest gear (too fast for me!) but a gear lower than highest I can do it. Maybe the higher gear you are in, the faster you get points.
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 07:05:01 AM »

The end is here, time to move on to a different game of the month.  If anyone gets a perfect score on level 2 please feel free to post it here, I'm still curious to see the highest possible score.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: